voting/politics thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

who are you voting for?

Barack Obama / Joe Biden
22
67%
John McCain / Sara Palin
3
9%
other (Bob Barr, Ralph Nader, etc)
1
3%
I'll decide later
3
9%
No one. Voting is for jerks
4
12%
 
Total votes : 33

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 9202
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Location: Land of the Lacob.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 am
coltraning wrote:
xbay wrote:Someone please explain to me how McCain is incompetent. How he's not fit for this country. I'm not talking about a sentence, though. I'd like to see a well thought out reason for it.

I'm not a McCain supporter. I just need ideas for my argument against McCain in a debate we're having for one of my courses.


dude, just pick a day of the week. Today alone, he said he would fire the SEC commissioner (which he has no authority to do) and said he wouldn't meet with the president of Spain, even though Spain is one of our closest allies. Choosing a laughably unqualified person to be vice president is also a good reason to disqualify him, or that he has reversed himself on about 80 positions in this campaign and thinks the economy is fundamentally strong and things Iraq and Pakistan share a border...there' s more of course.


Thanks, colt. I just needed to see another person's take on him.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:01 am
coltraning wrote: and said he wouldn't meet with the president of Spain, even though Spain is one of our closest allies.


Can't say I blame him for that. I also wouldn't want to meet with our current president. :mrgreen:


No, really, it's all politics, not personal dislike or anything like that. Our previous government was really close to the Bush administration, and the current one tries to stay as far away as possible from it. It's not that surprising or even out of place.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:51 am
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote: and said he wouldn't meet with the president of Spain, even though Spain is one of our closest allies.


Can't say I blame him for that. I also wouldn't want to meet with our current president. :mrgreen:


No, really, it's all politics, not personal dislike or anything like that. Our previous government was really close to the Bush administration, and the current one tries to stay as far away as possible from it. It's not that surprising or even out of place.


I hope our next government takes the same road.............well, if McCain gets in that is.

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:01 am
yeah i haven't posted in this thread in like a week or maybe more even, but from my last post to now, i think im even less confident in the McCain Campaign then I ever have been.

John McCain was a part of a congressional committee, specifically dealing with economic overseeing. He is throwing the chairmen of this committee (also a republican) to step down and even be fired. Excuse me Senator, but if you had any complaints of him in the past, why didn't you say something earlier? why throw him into the bus now? the answer: he was just as clueless as you John McCain.

In addition, as someone else mentioned, he is calling for the SEC Chair to be fired, which was appointed by Bush a few years earlier. Someone that he praised not too long ago, and poof, he switched his stance NOT before this crisis started, but when the election called for it. The fact is, John McCain's stance on regulation in the past (or lack thereof, as he was for pure deregulation of markets), was too leaneant on big companies, primarily investors, banks, etc.... hmm, arent these the same guys bringing this country to the shitter right now??? Obviously so.

NOW, McCain is pulling a 180, completely shifting his "economic strategy" to strict regulation, something he was against, just last weak. But John McCain does not get our economy. One word or concept wont change or improve the economy. I am all for deregulation in the NYSE and global markets and trading with both domestic and foreign businesses, as it has been proven to be successful. And Yes, this is a conservative approach. But there is a difference between Deregulation and Fraud, and this is what Bush and his cronies have been doing. Not just deregulation our markets, but creating Fraud. Companies were over investing, when they knew they could get away with it, NOT because of deregulation, but Because the GOP and Dem's both had ties with each and every company. They were getting paid to look the other way.

the point is, regulating these companies on a stricter level wont do much as long as fraud and corruption exists in Washington. The McCain campaign is spiraling with new quotes that contradict statements the day before. Obviously his advisors are more confused then he is. Obama, who i personally has criticized way more then McCain until the last couple months, is clearly a more fit candidate then McCain. Though Obama is no where near perfect, and i probably will still vote for a third party, he(Obama) is definately perferred then McCain.

here is my boy Ron Paul question a dumbfounded mcCain... which McCain rambled some random crap

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ1OB2iLxcY[/youtube]
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:29 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote: and said he wouldn't meet with the president of Spain, even though Spain is one of our closest allies.


Can't say I blame him for that. I also wouldn't want to meet with our current president. :mrgreen:


No, really, it's all politics, not personal dislike or anything like that. Our previous government was really close to the Bush administration, and the current one tries to stay as far away as possible from it. It's not that surprising or even out of place.

gotta disagree...it would be literally unprecedented for an American president to refuse to meet with a NATO ally, which is what Spain is. That is beyond ignorant on McCain's part. Even Bush never said anything that stupid, and that is setting the bar REALLY low. We are legally bound to protect each other in case of invasion, for Christ's sake...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:29 am
coltraning wrote:gotta disagree...it would be literally unprecedented for an American president to refuse to meet with a NATO ally, which is what Spain is. That is beyond ignorant on McCain's part. Even Bush never said anything that stupid, and that is setting the bar REALLY low. We are legally bound to protect each other in case of invasion, for Christ's sake...


Ok, I'm not saying he's right, we agree that it's a big mistake. I'm just saying that it's not that surprising considering our change regarding foreign policy...
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:58 pm
TMC wrote:
coltraning wrote:gotta disagree...it would be literally unprecedented for an American president to refuse to meet with a NATO ally, which is what Spain is. That is beyond ignorant on McCain's part. Even Bush never said anything that stupid, and that is setting the bar REALLY low. We are legally bound to protect each other in case of invasion, for Christ's sake...


Ok, I'm not saying he's right, we agree that it's a big mistake. I'm just saying that it's not that surprising considering our change regarding foreign policy...

what's scarier is, if u listen to the interview, it is pretty clear Mccain does not know who zapatero is...the president of spain, not exactly an obscure country
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1396
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 pm
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:43 pm
McCain seeks to delay debate to focus on economy

By BETH FOUHY, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Republican John McCain said Wednesday he wants to delay Friday's debate with Democratic rival Barack Obama and temporarily put aside their partisan campaign to resolve the nation's financial crisis.

McCain's announcement came after the two candidates held private talks about joining forces to address the Wall Street meltdown. The Obama campaign said the Democrat initiated the talks, but McCain beat Obama to the punch with the first public statement calling for the two to rise above politics in a time of crisis.

McCain said the Bush administration's plan seemed headed for defeat and a bipartisan solution was urgently needed.

McCain said he would put politics aside and return to Washington Thursday to focus on the nation's financial problems after addressing former President Clinton's Global Initiative session in New York. McCain said he had spoken to President Bush and asked him to convene a leadership meeting in Washington that would include him and Obama.

"It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the administration's proposal," McCain said. "I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time."

McCain said he has spoken to Obama about his plans and asked the Democratic presidential nominee to join him.

Obama's campaign did not immediate say whether he supported a delay of the debate or would also stop campaigning.

The Obama campaign said in a statement that Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. McCain called back six hours later and agreed to the idea of the statement, the Obama campaign said. McCain's statement was issued to the media a few minutes later.

"We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved," McCain said. "I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so."

McCain's statement was an effort to show leadership on an issue that has spread economic fears across the country and overshadowed the presidential campaign just six weeks from Election Day. The economy has not been McCain's strongest suit, and his move was an attempt to turn it into an opportunity to show he's the candidate of bipartisanship and action. Recent polls showed Obama with an advantage with voters in handling the economy.

The move put Obama in a bind. Rejecting the idea would allow McCain alone to appear above politics, but agreeing to suspend campaigning and the debate could make Obama look like he's following McCain's lead.

McCain said if Congress does not pass legislation to address the crisis, credit will dry up, people will no longer be able to buy homes, life savings will be at stake and businesses will not have enough money

"If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted," McCain said. "We cannot allow this to happen."

McCain also canceled his planned appearance Wednesday on CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman" program.

A senior McCain adviser, Mark Salter, said the campaign would suspend all advertising and campaign events until a workable deal is reached on the bailout proposal — but only if the Obama campaign agrees to do the same.

Moderator
Posts: 5353
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:13 pm
McCain canceling on a debate.. if this ends up happening, then he should stop running from president. What a complete joke. He knows that he doesnt know **** about the economy so he is bailing out.

I hope Ralph Nadar and Bob Barr get to replace McCain, cuz that would be fun to watch those 3 along with obama debate.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:46 am
yeah, Letterman tore him a major new one...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:25 am
coltraning wrote:yeah, Letterman tore him a major new one...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]


Good job by Dave, and I love how he gets our old friend Keith on there too.............was he scheduled to be on there WITH McCain!!!??? that would have been awesome. :wink:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm
Location: Sucka Free City
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:38 am
oops.... I tried to repost that link cause I couldn't see the embed....
didn't work...

McCain may have been a pow, but he's acting like a coward now...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3042
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:42 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:19 pm
bigstrads wrote:
coltraning wrote:yeah, Letterman tore him a major new one...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]


Good job by Dave, and I love how he gets our old friend Keith on there too.............was he scheduled to be on there WITH McCain!!!??? that would have been awesome. :wink:

Nah..Keith is Letterman's designated pinch hitter in event of a no-show. I thought I had seen everything in US politics, but McCain's latest stunts are breaking new ground...
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm
coltraning wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
coltraning wrote:yeah, Letterman tore him a major new one...

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3ruBc0QS8mc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]


Good job by Dave, and I love how he gets our old friend Keith on there too.............was he scheduled to be on there WITH McCain!!!??? that would have been awesome. :wink:

Nah..Keith is Letterman's designated pinch hitter in event of a no-show. I thought I had seen everything in US politics, but McCain's latest stunts are breaking new ground...


Ahh, I see...............I loved when he said "Boy, how much trouble can I get in and how fast?" :mrgreen:

So fill me in Colt, what has been happening with this "suspension" have the met and discussed the economy, any announcments?

All Star
Posts: 1218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:52 pm
Chris Rock just said that it seemed that Palin was chosen by Al Davis. Pretty funny.

He is always funny. Rock, not Davis. Well, actually Davis is highly amusing as well unless you are a Raider fan.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron