Interesting article by Ben Stein on religion

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:28 pm
The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning

Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish. And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up , bejeweled trees, Christmas trees.. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are: Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu . If people want a crïeche, it's just as fine w ith me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him? I guess that's a sign that I'm getting o ld, too. But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Katrina) Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response. She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives. And being the gen tleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out. How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?'

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc. I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK. Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school. The Bible says thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself. And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr Spock's son committed suici de). We said an expert should know what he's talking about. And we said OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out. I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.'

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then w onder why the world's going to hell Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says. Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing. Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace.

Are you laughing yet?

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it.

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us.

Pass it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one will know you did. But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.

My Best Regards, Honestly and respectfully,

Ben Stein
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:34 pm
very interesting article
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:04 pm
I liked the first part, however I think its a bit silly to say god has left us because we have pushed him out of our government and schools. If there is a god im guessing he's letting humans make their choices and play their lives out. I doubt if there is one that he would ever get involved with life.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:20 pm
Ben Stein wrote:Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell. Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.

Meh.

Does he really expect me to believe the reason the world is going to hell is because we "trash" god? If anything, it's "funny" how he thinks questioning the bible is some act of treason.

Thanks for posting this article, but while reading it I found nothing of absolute substance. Only whining.

Ben Stein wrote:Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

:?

I think its funny how statistically, older humans tend to lean more towards the idea of intelligent design when death is imminent. I say this because Ben Stein has only recently started this fight against evolution (or so it says on his wiki page). It's like humans can't accept the fact that they aren't the center of the universe, or part of a master plan..

Meh.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:35 pm
I think it was a well written letter expressing his opinion, whether you believe what he said or not. I just think its interesting to read stuff like that and read counter arguments. A lot of times the counter argument is very similar to the original argument, yet nobody will let others believe what they want to believe.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm
well its food for thought....my take is this the bible is the best way to learn and know what God will or wont do....for me after reading for many years we can conclude that a finite mind of man CAN NOT understand or conclude or say what God will or wont do.
I can feel God's guidance and direction, I can believe what he hants me to door not do. I can feel his presence and his distance.But this can not be proved i can not make ANY blanket statements like GOD IS DOING THIS.....or THIS HAPPENED BECAUSE GOD FELT a certian way.Truth is God deals with me and thats all I can speak on , and the truth is (which many christians are afraid to admit) the truth is that often even I a child of God am hopeing that my faith is not in vien.

I like some of the articles thoughts but the at the end of the day each will need to decide for themselves what God is or isn't doing in oneselves life.
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:26 pm
I'm Christian, but I'm not going to comment much on it. I just like reading these kind of things because they're fun to debate about. No one actually knows what God's intentions are for the world. No one actually knows if there is a God... but no one actually knows if there isn't, either.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:20 am
all we do know is we don't know...we do know that by the most conservative estimates there are 4,000,000,000,000 OTHER planets in the known universe with intelligent life, so to assume we are the center of it all, the apple of some omnipotent, ominsicient and omnipresent "God's" or "Gods'" master plan is the height of arrogance and well, just plain illogic. It is no coincidence that there is a direct inverse correlation between education level and belief in God...the ancient myths do not hold up to the most cursory scrutiny, and it is not the job of the skeptic to prove a negative...Joseph Campbell is a good place to start for that one.
To Live is A Value Judgment - Albert Camus
3 reasons for living: Jazz, Hoops and women

President Barack Hussein Obama - America chose Hope over Fear
ImageImage
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:08 am
Ohh dear..............a guys opinion who started life as a speechwriter for Richard Nixon!!! is to be valued greatly. :roll:

When articles are written like that, saying that "God has left us because we pushed him away............so THATS why all the bad things are happening" are just...........well, typical of people who turn to religion for ALL their answers instead of thinking correctly about the real issues and factors behind those problems.

This may shock you guys (if you know me well enough to know that I am a staunch anti religion type fellow)..............but I do actually believe that the western world is in a worser shape for not having religion as prominent as it used to be.............heres why =

1 - When religion was shoved down all kids throats, was alot more visible and prominet............it gave kids a reason to be scared of the consequences of their actions! a boogey man so to speak, "Ohh, you cant lie/cheat/steal because GOD wont be happy".............and THAT is the exact reason religion exists in the first place, for the ruling bodies to keep everyone in check and fear.

2 - With the masses under this spell, the governments were forced to appear to be playing along (even though they werent of course) and as such were not as transparently and obviously evil as they are now.............because no-one "cares" anymore!!!.............so they do whatever the f*ck they want without fear of reprisal.

The new religion of capitalism and free economy breeds the lack of responsibility of ones actions that surrounds us now...........take whatever you can get, do whatever it takes to make you and yours "happy"

Generally, humans NEED to believe in something, they need an act to follow, which is why the culture of celebrity and stars is the one that is taking over...............why?..............because people look up to them and aspire to BE them...............why? "because you can all be what you want to be" which obviously isnt a bad thing in theory............. but all it has done is breed greed, longing and ultimately people being unsatisfied or never satisfied, and generally not ever happy, no matter what they achieve (check the depression and suicide rates for the last 25 years)

Overall, there are many things I could say about this and I probably havnt voiced my thoughts well, this is morning/coffee drinking splurge..............but its a start.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:00 am
Can we replace Ben Stein's article with Bigs'?. That's much more deserving of comments than the previous one...

Good one, Bigs. I like it.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:24 am
I read that in Ben Stein's whiny droning voice... until I had to stop.

He lives in Malibu, aside from the views, that's a pretty godless place.

Joseph Campbell is a great read. I second it for anyone interested in this subject.

We are sold a myth and we believe it with too little scrutiny.

If you put out positivity, it will come back to you.
reaping what you sow? or coincidence? or spiritual laws?
name it what you want/need....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3pIsA0Q ... re=related

Steph Curry fakin Chris Anderson out of his jock: awesome!
look on Turiaf's face: priceless
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:51 am
If there is a god I think it would make a lot more sense if it was more like an energy and not an entity. Kinda like the force but without the powers and jedi. :mrgreen:
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:28 am
TMC wrote:Can we replace Ben Stein's article with Bigs'?. That's much more deserving of comments than the previous one...

Good one, Bigs. I like it.

Thank you kind sir..............you know I like to talk about the serious stuff. :wink:

jimbob631 wrote:If there is a god I think it would make a lot more sense if it was more like an energy and not an entity. Kinda like the force but without the powers and jedi. :mrgreen:

Ohh and Jimbob...........I found something to back up your point :mrgreen: =

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:33 pm
lmfao, nice find bigs

Return to Off-Topic Forum