plasma vs lcd

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:20 pm
ok its a new season for football with basketball right around the corner.
my current tv is needing replacement 40 inch mitsubishi that i bought when i was first married 11 yers ago...

so i am cutting into my walls and framing an inset above my fireplace for
a 50 inch flat screen.

no computors will use this as a monitor it will simply be for tv and video.

price wise lcd has come down.

any suggestions on which way i should go plasma or lcd....
clearity , longevity , brand , retailer??
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:28 pm
I have a 40" Samsung LCD that is about a year and half old now and I couldn't be more pleased with it. A couple of friends went with a 40" Sony Bravia and they are pleased with their purchase as well. Comparing the two I'd say that the Bravia is slightly more vibrant but they paid an extra $400 for that (and the Sony brand name) so I'd say it is an even give or take.

My only experience with a Plasma TV is from my friend's dad. He seemed okay with it but it didn't have the 'pop' that other HDTVs seemed to have. It wasn't a disaster or anything, but with the lower price of the LCDs they seem the way to go.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 pm
Plasma TVs Go bad fast! I've heard they only last about 2 years max, and then the get steadily worse!

Don't buy into that bullshi t the TV industry is trying to feed you. 10 years ago they realized every one is satisfied with their regular old color TVs. "quick wtf do we do, everyones satisfied?"
"I know! lets hype up high definition TVs and tell everyone that you won't be cool unless you own one of these."
honestly the difference between a regular CRT and a Hi Def Plasma screen is really not worth the cash if you ask me. don't be dumb, stick with what you have and don't buy into the bull.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:01 pm
warrior 4 life85 wrote:Plasma TVs Go bad fast! I've heard they only last about 2 years max, and then the get steadily worse!

Don't buy into that bullshi t the TV industry is trying to feed you. 10 years ago they realized every one is satisfied with their regular old color TVs. "quick wtf do we do, everyones satisfied?"
"I know! lets hype up high definition TVs and tell everyone that you won't be cool unless you own one of these."
honestly the difference between a regular CRT and a Hi Def Plasma screen is really not worth the cash if you ask me. don't be dumb, stick with what you have and don't buy into the bull.

haha i am happy with my current tv its just ready to die thats all....and if i could mount it in the wall instead of on a stand that would be nice ya know
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:06 pm
the main differences between lcd and plasa are the screens. Plasma will weigh more because it uses a glass screen while LCD is liquid crystal display (like computer monitors). With that said, it is ideal to get an LCD if this is going into a room that has a lot of light because plasmas are a lot more vulnerable to glare. However, plasmas are cheaper than LCD's because they only make plasmas 42" and up. LCD's ranges from 2 inch phones to 3654654231 inch tv's (overexaggerating). If money wasn't an object, i'd go with the sony xbr series (120 hz) or the samsung with 120hz. But if i was on a lil budget, i'd go with the sharp, they make really nice tv's now. And also, if your not planning to get HD service, plasmas generally look better with standard definition (480p).

Hope this helps.
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:15 pm
warrior 4 life85 wrote:Plasma TVs Go bad fast! I've heard they only last about 2 years max, and then the get steadily worse!

what are u talking about... there is no HD hype. The difference in picture from standard TV to current 1080p is way different. You can see detail not only where the lens is focused, but in the background. Its a new dimention in television. Plus BluRay is amazing. Obviously you havent had experiences in viewing HD tv;s.... theres no conspiracy!
All Star
Poster Credit: 35
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:

what are u talking about... there is no HD hype. The difference in picture from standard TV to current 1080p is way different. You can see detail not only where the lens is focused, but in the background. Its a new dimention in television. Plus BluRay is amazing. Obviously you havent had experiences in viewing HD tv;s.... theres no conspiracy!

i agree... it sounds like your convincing yourself not to give it a try
From "we believe", to "we belong", to "we gon beatcho ass!"

All Star
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 pm
when i worked at circuit city i mostly tried to push the LCDs. plasmas are koo, but that's more for people who wil mainly watch tv after work, at night, watching movies in a dim lit room (to avoid the glare from the glass screen). LCDs are more for fast moving pictures ie sports, video games, etc. most of my customers were looking to buy tvs for football season, so that is why i recommended the LCDs so much. i did sell a bunch of plasmas, but that was mainly to people who were either older than my usual customers or people who werent into sports or video games.

i am gonna get a 32 inch samsung LCD for my room soon. i say you get an LCD. and like mentioned before, LCDs have longer life spans than plasmas. they might have exaggerated a little with the 2 year thing...but depending on how much you use it and what you use the tv for, LCDs will likely last an average of 3 years longer.

if you really want a plasma, then by all means, go ahead and get a plasma. companies (especially samsung and panasonic) have worked on the screen burn that you might have heard about with plasmas, so that really shouldnt be too much of a worry now. but id still recommend an LCD.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 am
This past year I went from no HD to 2 Sony Bravia XBR's, 52" on the Wall in the LV Room & A 40" in the Bed Room :D
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:50 am
O.G. Broe wrote:This past year I went from no HD to 2 Sony Bravia XBR's, 52" on the Wall in the LV Room & A 40" in the Bed Room :D

nice upgrade broe...

all sony flat panels are LCDs btw, to those of you who didnt know. bravia is one of the best engines out there in LCD tvs. i would say better than Sharp's Aquos
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:28 am
O.G. Broe wrote:This past year I went from no HD to 2 Sony Bravia XBR's, 52" on the Wall in the LV Room & A 40" in the Bed Room :D

Do you need pawn dog to ship you some Agrade home collection **** :)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:29 am
PAWNOGRAFFITI wrote:

Do you need pawn dog to ship you some Agrade home collection **** :)

:mrgreen: Why did I not see that one coming? :mrgreen:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:04 pm
A.) I've lived with several expensive flat screens (owned by roomates and friends). unless all you do is play video games on a playstation 3, they aren't worth it. One of my old roommates got a deal for an HD projector, and I have to say, there is really nothing better to play video games or watch movies on then that.... but watching warriors games and regular TV just didn't look right. It was too big (took up an entire appt wall)!

B.) It's not a conspiracy, what would you do if you owned sony and saw TV sales drop? hook customers onto a new thing. plan and simple. Why do you think every other commercial (although they've toned it down a little over the last year) is Best Buy or Circuit City saying "we can help you step up to HD" or whatever ish they say? they got Peyton Manning selling Bravias, and LaDamion Thomas and countless others selling these things BECAUSE if ppl would stop and think for a second, they'd realize that flat screen TVs don't really enhance your viewing pleasure that much and totally aren't worth it. how many ads have you seen about a guy showing off his new plasma screen to his friends. its all that keeping up with the Jones' bull they're pushing on us. and plus how amazing would it be if cable companies could charge you more money for giving you the same channels twice? well they do, its called HD bonus pack. what robbery.

C.) you know how much I paid for my 32 inch TV? nothing. found it next to a dumpster, cleaned it off and it works brilliantly. And the year before, I turned down an offer for a free 36 inch TV because my neighbor was "upgrading" to a Plasma. Point is, there are plenty of old TVs that work just fine. you don't think TV companies know this?

D.) If you have friends that won't hang out with you because you don't have the biggest, clearest, thinest and best TV available, you either need new friends, better food and drinks or better social skills.

E.) Blue Ray, LCD, Plasma, and all that HD stuff is just something to spend money on. no one needs that cra p. only bartenders and other companies that want to look "slick and modern" in order to attract customers should be focused on getting the absolute best TVs; even then, I'm sure there are a million other things that come before owning a fancy TV in the world of customer satisfaction.

and its not sour grapes btw, my "HD projector" roommate was into all that schit so I got to check it all out first hand for a year.

Things that stupid ppl buy:
-Rims - maybe if you have a bad ass car to go with it... if your rolling dubs on your '93 cavalier though... yeah
-HD TVs - see above
-Bottled Water - Dasani = Coke with all the coke taken out. same price though. often they have to go through less quality control checks than tap water!
-Clothes/Jeans that come "Pre-roughed up" already because they can't be bothered. dumb. also jeans over $100? really? please.
-Super unleaded - which in many test was only proven to help serious performance cars like subaru STIs, porsches, ferraris. everything else there's no difference.
-lottery tickets - as my teacher said once, "it's just a tax for stupid people"

for those of you who think I'm crazy, live somewhere else besides the US and see what the rest of the world gets by on.

Rant
rant
rant
etc.

yall know the deal
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:41 pm
warrior 4 life85 wrote:B.) It's not a conspiracy, what would you do if you owned sony and saw TV sales drop? hook customers onto a new thing. plan and simple. Why do you think every other commercial (although they've toned it down a little over the last year) is Best Buy or Circuit City saying "we can help you step up to HD" or whatever ish they say? they got Peyton Manning selling Bravias, and LaDamion Thomas and countless others selling these things BECAUSE if ppl would stop and think for a second, they'd realize that flat screen TVs don't really enhance your viewing pleasure that much and totally aren't worth it. how many ads have you seen about a guy showing off his new plasma screen to his friends. its all that keeping up with the Jones' bull they're pushing on us. and plus how amazing would it be if cable companies could charge you more money for giving you the same channels twice? well they do, its called HD bonus pack. what robbery.

you're right...old tvs will work perfectly well even during the digital converion in 2009...as long as they get a digital converter for their tvs. of course they wont get the HD channels, since they wont have an HD tv. and as far as enhancing their viewing pleasure...it actually does, depending on what you're comfortable with. im sure people will settle for a projection tv, especially if the only view to watch it is right in front of it. but if you are at an angle, it can become VERY difficult to see the picture. flat panel LCDs and Plasmas enhance viewing pleasure in that no matter what angle you are watching from, the picture stays the same color and its not all dark or distorted.

but you are right in that you dont need to spend so much money getting a flat panel tv if you are perfectly fine watching on your tube tv.

*NOTE: something people should know when buying an LCD, Plasma, or any HDtv for that matter: you wont get an HD picture unless you have all the components needed. meaning you have to upgrade your cable to an HD package to get the HD signal, you need either a component cable or HDMI cable, and the HDtv. if you have a 1080p tv, you will not get the 1080p picture that you see at circuit city or best buy unless you have the HDMI cable. the best you will get with the component cable is 1080i picture (which honestly is still DAMN good).

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 pm
E-Man wrote:
warrior 4 life85 wrote:B.) It's not a conspiracy, what would you do if you owned sony and saw TV sales drop? hook customers onto a new thing. plan and simple. Why do you think every other commercial (although they've toned it down a little over the last year) is Best Buy or Circuit City saying "we can help you step up to HD" or whatever ish they say? they got Peyton Manning selling Bravias, and LaDamion Thomas and countless others selling these things BECAUSE if ppl would stop and think for a second, they'd realize that flat screen TVs don't really enhance your viewing pleasure that much and totally aren't worth it. how many ads have you seen about a guy showing off his new plasma screen to his friends. its all that keeping up with the Jones' bull they're pushing on us. and plus how amazing would it be if cable companies could charge you more money for giving you the same channels twice? well they do, its called HD bonus pack. what robbery.

you're right...old tvs will work perfectly well even during the digital converion in 2009...as long as they get a digital converter for their tvs. of course they wont get the HD channels, since they wont have an HD tv. and as far as enhancing their viewing pleasure...it actually does, depending on what you're comfortable with. im sure people will settle for a projection tv, especially if the only view to watch it is right in front of it. but if you are at an angle, it can become VERY difficult to see the picture. flat panel LCDs and Plasmas enhance viewing pleasure in that no matter what angle you are watching from, the picture stays the same color and its not all dark or distorted.

but you are right in that you dont need to spend so much money getting a flat panel tv if you are perfectly fine watching on your tube tv.

*NOTE: something people should know when buying an LCD, Plasma, or any HDtv for that matter: you wont get an HD picture unless you have all the components needed. meaning you have to upgrade your cable to an HD package to get the HD signal, you need either a component cable or HDMI cable, and the HDtv. if you have a 1080p tv, you will not get the 1080p picture that you see at circuit city or best buy unless you have the HDMI cable. the best you will get with the component cable is 1080i picture (which honestly is still DAMN good).

This is all correct. If you don't see a huge difference, you aren't watching HD. A big difference in viewing pleasure and you will be pissed every time the SD crap shows up.

As for conspiracies, it isn't in selling flat screens, it is the lagging efforts of the broadcasters who don't want to spend the money to broadcast HD. Kind of like all the ads for "bars" for your cell phone when reception actually sucks outside of urban centers and the providers don't want to spend money on new towers, etc. for smaller population centers.

Plasmas are probably still best in dark rooms and LCDs in bright rooms. After that size and money decide. Note the new screens have new features, but now that the technology is pretty mature, the upgrades and differences are less noticeable.

Return to Off-Topic Forum