Satellite Radio

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:39 pm
Hey, guys. With my working and all of that, I have some extra money to spend, and I have been looking at satellite radios for a while. I know that some of you guys have them, and swear by them, so I was wondering if I could get some help on this.

I am looking for one that I can use both in the car and at home. I love the idea of not having to listen to god-awful commercials. Any suggestions about which are good? I dont have a preference between XM and SIRIUS (sp?).

Any suggestions can help. Oh, just mention my price range. I have about $300, and dont mind spending it all, but I would prefer something along the $100-150 price range, if that is possible.

I just want to be able to listen to my down-home country any time I want. :mrgreen:

Thanks in advance. :wink:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm
I cant speak to the actual receivers themselves but rather the service (although they will most likely be merging soon so might not matter but for the sake of this discussion I will treat them separately)

I have Sirius and I LOVE it! Programing was why I went with Sirius. For sports, Sirius has the NFL and NBA. XM has MLB. That was a no-brainer for me.

I am also a Howard Stern fan so that had appeal to me. XM may have a slightly better music channel lineup however. Hard to say and depends on your likes.

But in general, I NEVER listen to terrestrial radio ever. There is just no reason to.

Some of the radios also have a DVR like function where you can pause and rewind what you are listening to.

Definately check it out!

Oh, one more thing.... NFL Radio (channel 124) on Sirius ROCKS!!!! 24 hours, 365 days/year of nothing but NFL talk!
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:02 pm
What kind of program do you have, Bada? One for the car or a dual one?
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:12 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:What kind of program do you have, Bada? One for the car or a dual one?


Subscriptions are per receiver. My receiver is a in-car unit so I dont have Sirius in my house.

But you can buy a unit that is portable meaning you plug it into a bom box type devise at home, then you pop it out of that and plug it into a holder in your car for when you are in the car. You would just pay one subscription for that.
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:22 pm
bada wrote:But you can buy a unit that is portable meaning you plug it into a bom box type devise at home, then you pop it out of that and plug it into a holder in your car for when you are in the car. You would just pay one subscription for that.


That is what I am looking to get. That would be good for me. Are those hard to find? Maybe expensive? It is perfect for me, though.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 6145
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:13 am
Location: looking down at the Warriors practice facility
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:27 pm
Check out the Sirius ones here

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet ... llradios=Y
_____________________________________________________
http://WWW.GOLDENSTATEWARRIORS-RT.COM
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:33 pm
I was looking into subscribing to Sirius because the NBA and Howard Stern of course.

You can do it on your PC by the way Sf, although your main aim is the portability, so a digi receiver unit with a subscription to Sirius is the way...........some of them even have it built in nowadays, heard of car radios having it built in.

You realise that the subscrition alone to Sirius is $145 per year!.............so looking for a radio unit with it built in will probably be the best bet.
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:53 pm
bada wrote:Check out the Sirius ones here

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet ... llradios=Y


That is a great website, Bada. I saved that. Check it out in detail later.

By the way, James, the money isnt too much an issue. $12 a month is not bad for something like that.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bada wrote:Check out the Sirius ones here

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet ... llradios=Y


That is a great website, Bada. I saved that. Check it out in detail later.

By the way, James, the money isnt too much an issue. $12 a month is not bad for something like that.


Cool man, I just wondered whether you had factored that into buying a radio unit.........then having to subsribe to Sirius as well.

You should be able to do it way within your budget, I had a look at that website and theres some good ones on there.
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:47 pm
Ok, don't know if any of you know the answer to this this, but my car supports satellite radio, so does that mean I subscribe to one I can get it or do I have to buy the actual radio thing? I so don't get this stuff.
Image

Moderator
Posts: 5360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:21 pm
Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:55 pm
Hey SFx3... Our Goverment might of made the decision for you... The two companies are gonna be merging, so they dont hit the red (they were losing money, so they are merging for profit). It was approved late last week

I do not know the details, although there together, they can still possibly sell as different entities (what Miller and Coors are thinking about doing for beer).
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:08 pm
Mr. Crackerz wrote:Hey SFx3... Our Goverment might of made the decision for you... The two companies are gonna be merging, so they dont hit the red (they were losing money, so they are merging for profit). It was approved late last week

I do not know the details, although there together, they can still possibly sell as different entities (what Miller and Coors are thinking about doing for beer).


Yeah, I saw that. They have a guarantee that the merger wont cause any fall in prices of the radio that you get.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 7512
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:44 pm
Location: Brighton, England.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:58 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:Ok, don't know if any of you know the answer to this this, but my car supports satellite radio, so does that mean I subscribe to one I can get it or do I have to buy the actual radio thing? I so don't get this stuff.


As far as Im concerned Cap (remember though, not knowing the US way of this stuff)..............if your car CAN receive satellite radio, then its just up to you to subsribe to a particular channel.

If the terminology of radio is that of a satellite radio..............thats thats exactly what you need. :wink:
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 2334
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 pm
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:53 pm
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:Ok, don't know if any of you know the answer to this this, but my car supports satellite radio, so does that mean I subscribe to one I can get it or do I have to buy the actual radio thing? I so don't get this stuff.


As far as Im concerned Cap (remember though, not knowing the US way of this stuff)..............if your car CAN receive satellite radio, then its just up to you to subsribe to a particular channel.

If the terminology of radio is that of a satellite radio..............thats thats exactly what you need. :wink:


Thanks Bigs, that's what I'm thinking, but I bought the car from a private party so I don't really have all the info. It has a "satellite" button though. I'll have to call sirius or something.

Anyway, back to the original topic! Sorry for stealing your thread Sfx3
Image
User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:02 pm
Captain_Jack wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
Captain_Jack wrote:Ok, don't know if any of you know the answer to this this, but my car supports satellite radio, so does that mean I subscribe to one I can get it or do I have to buy the actual radio thing? I so don't get this stuff.


As far as Im concerned Cap (remember though, not knowing the US way of this stuff)..............if your car CAN receive satellite radio, then its just up to you to subsribe to a particular channel.

If the terminology of radio is that of a satellite radio..............thats thats exactly what you need. :wink:


Thanks Bigs, that's what I'm thinking, but I bought the car from a private party so I don't really have all the info. It has a "satellite" button though. I'll have to call sirius or something.

Anyway, back to the original topic! Sorry for stealing your thread Sfx3


You are on topic. I dont care. You are helping me out in the process. :mrgreen:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron