Whats With The "phpBB : Critical Error" Business?

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:21 pm
Hey all,

Dont know if many of you are experiencing this message...........but Im getting it more and more, atleast twice a day, and at different points/times too =

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Its like the site gets overloaded or something, as I think i coincides with when there are quite a few people on...........but I dont know.

Any ideas Bada? your the "code" man..........is Hobbes around much? maybe he would know whats up...........but if its just me then fine (although I swear Ive seen people post about getting the message)[/b]
Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:42 pm
Probably something to do with the amount of people on, and refreshing the page too much. (I'm not so sure about the second one though)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:48 pm
Hobbes was on yesterday.

I noticed this too, especially during the NBA Draft. I could not post anything that day.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:32 pm
well, this is a very generic error message and could be caused by a host of things (traffic, database not started, file permissions, etc). Basically it just means that the connection you are using can not connect to the database that this board runs on.

I have noticed this primarily when there is high traffic. My guess would be this is a hosting issue, but only hobbes can answer that as I am not privy to where or how this site is hosted.

Depending on his hosting company and what level service he has, the hosting company could limit the amount of concurrent users connecting to the db. For example it could be set to only allow 200 users at once. Connections 201 and after would get this error message. This is why when you get refreshing, you can get in after awhile because connections in the first 200 have logged off.

Of course this is a complete guess. There could be some table corruption in the db... who knows. But the fact that I dont see this message on a regular basis leads me to believe their is no corruption or permissions issue, but rather a traffic issue.
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:25 pm
bada wrote:well, this is a very generic error message and could be caused by a host of things (traffic, database not started, file permissions, etc). Basically it just means that the connection you are using can not connect to the database that this board runs on.

I have noticed this primarily when there is high traffic. My guess would be this is a hosting issue, but only hobbes can answer that as I am not privy to where or how this site is hosted.

Depending on his hosting company and what level service he has, the hosting company could limit the amount of concurrent users connecting to the db. For example it could be set to only allow 200 users at once. Connections 201 and after would get this error message. This is why when you get refreshing, you can get in after awhile because connections in the first 200 have logged off.

Of course this is a complete guess. There could be some table corruption in the db... who knows. But the fact that I dont see this message on a regular basis leads me to believe their is no corruption or permissions issue, but rather a traffic issue.

Thats one hell of a guess Bada..............damn. :wink:

That all makes complete sense, thought it might be something like that............atleast is doesnt sound like something bad.

Thanks bud.

Return to Off-Topic Forum