ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC COUNTRIES MOST PEACEFUL ACCORDING 2 STUDIES

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:05 am
reed i can see your point ..in many ways it cause's more harm than good.
tmc and sf3 make solid points as well ...the whole imposing issue.
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 am
Whilst I respect people like JOEL who use religion as a way of guidance (when others have failed or not felt right to them) and cause no offense/trouble with it.............ie: rubbing it in peoples faces and calling them all sinners and sh*t.

The problem I have is that I have NEVER found a religous person who didnt get that way through either being brainwashed as a child, or found/turned to religion after some traumatic/troubled events in their lives.

Ohh well.............if you do encounter someone who is causing sh*t because of there religion, and especially you Sf with all your "buddys" at school............a good way to talk to them as about there book.

Now, the bible, is of course every Christians "proof".............the trouble is that it has been re-written and re-interpreted, so how can this be the true word of god then?

Here is an excellent website that shows and gives reference to the direct and contradictive changes that were made between the New and Old Testament =

http://skeptically.org/newtestament/id19.html

I like this way of re-buffing the argument, as its quoting their book, they cant argue with the contradictions as it comes straight from their "proof".................also, I remember finding a very old text on the internet, that exists somewhere in the world (maybe not anymore because of its fundamental contradiction) however I cant find it............but it basically said this =

"And god cast Adam and Eve out of paradise, sending them into the world to live with the other tribes"

Hmmm............whats the problem there??? who were Adam and Eve supposed to be? lol.

Ohh and Sf, heres one that I like............If man was created in Gods exact image, and we as humans are how God created us from day one...........how do you explain Cavemen? things/bones that actually exist, that we can see and touch..........did humanity de-evolve to the state of Caveman and then re-evole back to how God intended?............also, look at some of the earliest photographic images available, when the technology was discovered............humans looked pretty different from how we do now...........again, showing evolution.

And whilst on this subject............through Dinosaurs in there somewhere..........hmmmmm...........big ass magnificent creatures that you would think God would have wanted credit for right? and again, bones we can see/touch/prove..........so why no mention in the bible?

Theres many many many more...............but those are the least insulting and fun to talk to religous people about.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 am
bigstrads wrote:And whilst on this subject............through Dinosaurs in there somewhere..........hmmmmm...........big ass magnificent creatures that you would think God would have wanted credit for right? and again, bones we can see/touch/prove..........so why no mention in the bible.

Those were actually pretty good. I did want to single this one out, though. It will not work. The teacher is a strong Christian and he will point out that the Bible does mention dinosaurs, and I dont want to sound dumb saying that it doesnt.

I will use some of these in class, if they apply. You can bring up some more later. Thanks, man. :mrgreen:
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:49 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:And whilst on this subject............through Dinosaurs in there somewhere..........hmmmmm...........big ass magnificent creatures that you would think God would have wanted credit for right? and again, bones we can see/touch/prove..........so why no mention in the bible.

Those were actually pretty good. I did want to single this one out, though. It will not work. The teacher is a strong Christian and he will point out that the Bible does mention dinosaurs, and I dont want to sound dumb saying that it doesnt.

I will use some of these in class, if they apply. You can bring up some more later. Thanks, man. :mrgreen:

Seriously???...............where the hell does the bible mention Dinosaurs?

Ill streamline some others for you later. :wink:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:55 am
bigstrads wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Somewhere, and, again, I paraphrase, it talks about "God's massive created creatures, dwelling in land, air, and water..." Again, it is something along those lines. Many Christians, when questioned about dinosaurs, mention this verse and point to this as evidence of dinosaurs. I know, it is bullsh*t and can mean anything, but it is exactly what a strong Christian who knows the Bible would say, and I know that my teacher, a strong Christian, would point at.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 am
Great quote from an Atheist =

Stephen F. Roberts wrote:(To Christians discussing why he does not believe in God)I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:22 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Somewhere, and, again, I paraphrase, it talks about "God's massive created creatures, dwelling in land, air, and water..." Again, it is something along those lines. Many Christians, when questioned about dinosaurs, mention this verse and point to this as evidence of dinosaurs. I know, it is bullsh*t and can mean anything, but it is exactly what a strong Christian who knows the Bible would say, and I know that my teacher, a strong Christian, would point at.

the passage you are refering to is probably in the book of job towards the end of the book when job and God have a direct dialog....
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:12 am
JOEL wrote:the passage you are refering to is probably in the book of job towards the end of the book when job and God have a direct dialog....

That sounds right. Somewhere in Job, Psalms, Proverbs, one of those. Thanks, man. :wink:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:49 pm
One of my favourite bits of the bible is Leviticus and its nine or more chapters on how to slaughter an animal for sacrifice for a "sweat savour onto god" :mrgreen:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:25 pm
The thing I find most hillarious are the outrageous claims made by anti-religion people.

I don't understand what's so offensive about a group of people that would like to express their faith in an organized fashion. I went to a Catholic high school (without being one, myself) and was astounded by the outrageous (and, frankly, downright wrong) claims people made about them (them, being Catholics). This is not the 1400's, people. I never felt pressured into joining the Catholic church, nobody made me feel like an infidel when I told them I wasn't Catholic, and (despite being an outsider in a Catholic environment) none of them automatically expected me to know any of the Catholic traditions or chants. And Catholics, from what I've heard and read, are some of the most ripped-on Christians in modern times.

I enrolled in a Catholic scriptures class, my junior year, being taught by a priest... and even he admitted that there's a general rift from faith, in a man's early years. People think they're being individualistic and edgy when they denounce religion and stomp all over their concepts, as if it's the first time anyone's ever done that. In fact, studies show that most men tail off of religion from 8th grade until around the time they turn 40 or so. I guess it takes a taste of mortality to get people thinking about the afterlife. Whatever the case, a huge group of anti-religious kids often turn back towards the church in their later days.

Personally, I have zero problem with people that have faith. I've taken many religion classes in my time (Hebrew Scriptures, Basic Christianity, World Cultures, Eastern Practices, Prayer and Meditation, etc)... and, be it the Torah, the Qu'Ran, the Bible, the Bhagavadgiitaa... whichever book one chooses to spend some time reading, I have found that religions teach little of anger, revenge, contempt, greed, or selfishness. In fact, often times, these acts are recapped in context (in the same fashion a history book might recap the Revolutionary War) and anti-religious groups jump all over them. Despite whatever horror stories you've heard in the name of religion, I find people with faith to be very normal, level-headed individuals who are capable of seeing more than what simply their eyes are willing to show them. I respect that.

Now, go ahead. Hit me with some statistics and try and prove me wrong. Really, this is an individual choice and should be addressed on a person-to-person basis. I'm one of the few non-religious ones who understand that I'm not going to change someone's fundamental beliefs with a few blurbs on a webpage... so I think I'll make my exit from this thread and not partake in the circle jerk of ripping on people who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. Enjoy whatever your opinion on religion is, don't force it on me, and we can all live amongst one another normally.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 pm
great post..... i am not a religious person myself though my girlfriend tries to nudge me in that direction. But I've gone to Catholic church recently and it's a positive experience. It's unfortunate that there are so many extremists out there willing to kill in the name of religion. I don't believe everything as firmly as many catholics do , but i respect the fact that they have their faith.

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:38 pm
Great post 32. I am a Catholic myself and I live with mostly atheist people. I hate it when people make fun of me for going to church every sunday. I've been going for as long as I can remember and I enjoy it.

Just last sunday, my roomate's girlfriend was like "oh you have to do all that Easter **** like Palm sunday and everything don't you?". Ooooo I wanted to slap that bitch. First of all Palm Sunday already occurred and there's no reason to be calling it ****. And its not like it takes forever, I mean what's an hour and half every week to you huh?

I'm glad to know that people like you respect and understand my faith.
DUBBBIN’ !
Previous

Return to Off-Topic Forum