Cars Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:55 pm
Bored... so I thought I'd start a thread about cars for all of you car people (I know you're out there). So...

1) What kinda car do you drive?
2) If money/availability were no object, what car would you own (or what is your fav car)?
3) What car do you dislike the most?


For me...

1) '04 BMW 325Ci
2) Lamborghini Gallardo (also, the Pagani Zonda is one of my favorites)
3) Prius (looks like a spacepod)

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:15 pm
99 toyota tacoma, 6 cyl 5 speed 4x4, runs 33 inch grapplers around ,17 inch moto mags, arb front end with 10,000 warren winch, fabtech 6 inch suspension lift, air bags
truck is clean but built and used off road....hits the trail hella hard.

wife and kids roll in the toyota 4 runner 03 4x4 limited with v8
leather factory navigation headrest dvd with xbox . 17 inch wheels
wrapped with yoks

car of choice old school hummer but gas would be crazy.
69 impala 2nd choice take up to much room in garage.

car i dislike ?
Image
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:47 am
1) 1997 Acura CL

2) Lexus GS350 or a Chrysler 300... if i was rich i wouldnt go too extravagent...i actually think id just upgrade my eating habits if anything. eating healthy is expensive...id be eating healthier if i was rich.

3) the Fiat Multipla...by far the ugliest car in the world
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm
1) 2007 Audi A3 and 2003 GTI, 20th Anniversary

2) Audi RS4 & Porsche 911 Turbo (if money were no issue) I would have both, plus a private jet :mrgreen:

3) Scions and anything made by Ford after the 60's
Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 pm
hmmm....hey..u guys must understand the oil in this world is almost done...please help our world to save the oil..
most of the sport cars are waste gasoline....i can't imagine if our world without oil....we are doomed.

So, i really prefer everybody to understand this thing...
It's oke to have sport car but have to be Hybrid at least 45 miles/gallon.
I really wish someday Lamborghini,Ferrari is Hybrid..can use electric,gasoline to run 50 miles/gallon. :D

in 2012, all cars in states required over 30 miles /gallon....that's the good thing.

1. I have Toyota Corolla and pretty save gasoline
2. My future car is

Image
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 3086
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:51 pm
Location: Redwood City, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm
Wow, that's a car? But 230 MPG is loads. I'm sure cars will eventually be able to become more and more energy efficient as time moves forward.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 pm
GSW United wrote:hmmm....hey..u guys must understand the oil in this world is almost done...please help our world to save the oil..
most of the sport cars are waste gasoline....i can't imagine if our world without oil....we are doomed.

So, i really prefer everybody to understand this thing...
It's oke to have sport car but have to be Hybrid at least 45 miles/gallon.
I really wish someday Lamborghini,Ferrari is Hybrid..can use electric,gasoline to run 50 miles/gallon. :D

in 2012, all cars in states required over 30 miles /gallon....that's the good thing.

1. I have Toyota Corolla and pretty save gasoline
2. My future car is

Image
I agree with a lot of GSW (of what i could understand lol J/K). I am beginning to seriously despise people the drive v8s like big trucks (mainly diesel), big SUVs, or gas sucking sports cars in general as daily drivers. I'm not being smug or pretentious in anyway, I just think it is ignorant to drive a vehicle that is destroying our planet because it's cool. I'm not against owning a truck or SUV if you seriously have the need for one but I hate house wives that drive Suburbans every day when they don't need to.

I know and have grownup with a lot of guys that view owning a big truck as a right of passage in to manhood, and believe that real men don't drive small economic cars. Same goes for women who thrive off of the social status a large SUV or truck provides within their shallow circle of friends.

I own 3 cars:

- 2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr 2.4L fully loaded - My daily driver, great gas mileage, great power and speed for a 4 cylinder. Got it 2 years ago for $7000 with only 34,000 miles.

- 1976 Lincoln Continental v8 Limited edition - Now a collectors item, hardly ever leaves the driveway, because it sucks down gas, but it was a gift from my grandma so I don't think I could ever sell it.

- 2002 Ford Crown Victoria v6 - In excellent condition and gets about 28 - 30 mpg highway, this was a steal that my father had found from a car rental place still under warranty with only 28,000 miles for only $9000. I'll probably give this to my girl because I drive more than she does and I'm partial to my Focus.

I don't think in terms of "what if..." very often so I couldn't tell you what car I'd buy if I had all the money in the world - maybe something crazy like a Ferrari - Not a Lambo which are more for looks than performance apposed to a Ferrari. Still wouldn't be my daily driver though, just for fun.

A BMW or Audi realistically, would be nice. But I'm on a limited income, even at that I have better things to spend my money on.

I'm currently considering buying an Accord for myself in the next year or so and if I do I'll sell the Crownvic and give the Focus to my girl instead. I'm think I'm done with domestic vehicles, I'd love to support the economy but not at the expense of driving an inferior car for more money - My dad is actually a Ford salesman and he'd shiit if he heard me say that.

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 pm
JReed23 wrote:
GSW United wrote:hmmm....hey..u guys must understand the oil in this world is almost done...please help our world to save the oil..
most of the sport cars are waste gasoline....i can't imagine if our world without oil....we are doomed.

So, i really prefer everybody to understand this thing...
It's oke to have sport car but have to be Hybrid at least 45 miles/gallon.
I really wish someday Lamborghini,Ferrari is Hybrid..can use electric,gasoline to run 50 miles/gallon. :D

in 2012, all cars in states required over 30 miles /gallon....that's the good thing.

1. I have Toyota Corolla and pretty save gasoline
2. My future car is

Image
I agree with a lot of GSW (of what i could understand lol J/K). I am beginning to seriously despise people the drive v8s like big trucks (mainly diesel), big SUVs, or gas sucking sports cars in general as daily drivers. I'm not being smug or pretentious in anyway, I just think it is ignorant to drive a vehicle that is destroying our planet because it's cool. I'm not against owning a truck or SUV if you seriously have the need for one but I hate house wives that drive Suburbans every day when they don't need to.

I know and have grownup with a lot of guys that view owning a big truck as a right of passage in to manhood, and believe that real men don't drive small economic cars. Same goes for women who thrive off of the social status a large SUV or truck provides within their shallow circle of friends.

I own 3 cars:

- 2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr 2.4L fully loaded - My daily driver, great gas mileage, great power and speed for a 4 cylinder. Got it 2 years ago for $7000 with only 34,000 miles.

- 1976 Lincoln Continental v8 Limited edition - Now a collectors item, hardly ever leaves the driveway, because it sucks down gas, but it was a gift from my grandma so I don't think I could ever sell it.

- 2002 Ford Crown Victoria v6 - In excellent condition and gets about 28 - 30 mpg highway, this was a steal that my father had found from a car rental place still under warranty with only 28,000 miles for only $9000. I'll probably give this to my girl because I drive more than she does and I'm partial to my Focus.

I don't think in terms of "what if..." very often so I couldn't tell you what car I'd buy if I had all the money in the world - maybe something crazy like a Ferrari - Not a Lambo which are more for looks than performance apposed to a Ferrari. Still wouldn't be my daily driver though, just for fun.

A BMW or Audi realistically, would be nice. But I'm on a limited income, even at that I have better things to spend my money on.

I'm currently considering buying an Accord for myself in the next year or so and if I do I'll sell the Crownvic and give the Focus to my girl instead. I'm think I'm done with domestic vehicles, I'd love to support the economy but not at the expense of driving an inferior car for more money - My dad is actually a Ford salesman and he'd shiit if he heard me say that.


not every soccer mom sports the suv for status bro....
in the bay area (on the free ways) we have many cars and traffic issues..its a big metro. I would be hella nervous to put my family in a small UNSAFE ford... if you look at the toyota suv's of today
the amount of harm they put into the air is likely less than the cars you mentioned... and with crumple zones front/passanger/side curtain air bags
its a hell of a lot more safe.....also one of my two toyotas are built in the bay area.
Image
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Location: oakland
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:58 pm
follow the traffic rules and everythings is safe even we all know some driver are carzy but...IF all can obey the traffic rule i think small cars can be pretty safe....that's why i really wish someday they built big car with super safe mileage....safe,strong,and GREEN to Environment... :wink:
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:42 pm
JOEL wrote:
JReed23 wrote:
GSW United wrote:hmmm....hey..u guys must understand the oil in this world is almost done...please help our world to save the oil..
most of the sport cars are waste gasoline....i can't imagine if our world without oil....we are doomed.

So, i really prefer everybody to understand this thing...
It's oke to have sport car but have to be Hybrid at least 45 miles/gallon.
I really wish someday Lamborghini,Ferrari is Hybrid..can use electric,gasoline to run 50 miles/gallon. :D

in 2012, all cars in states required over 30 miles /gallon....that's the good thing.

1. I have Toyota Corolla and pretty save gasoline
2. My future car is

Image
I agree with a lot of GSW (of what i could understand lol J/K). I am beginning to seriously despise people the drive v8s like big trucks (mainly diesel), big SUVs, or gas sucking sports cars in general as daily drivers. I'm not being smug or pretentious in anyway, I just think it is ignorant to drive a vehicle that is destroying our planet because it's cool. I'm not against owning a truck or SUV if you seriously have the need for one but I hate house wives that drive Suburbans every day when they don't need to.

I know and have grownup with a lot of guys that view owning a big truck as a right of passage in to manhood, and believe that real men don't drive small economic cars. Same goes for women who thrive off of the social status a large SUV or truck provides within their shallow circle of friends.

I own 3 cars:

- 2003 Ford Focus SE 4dr 2.4L fully loaded - My daily driver, great gas mileage, great power and speed for a 4 cylinder. Got it 2 years ago for $7000 with only 34,000 miles.

- 1976 Lincoln Continental v8 Limited edition - Now a collectors item, hardly ever leaves the driveway, because it sucks down gas, but it was a gift from my grandma so I don't think I could ever sell it.

- 2002 Ford Crown Victoria v6 - In excellent condition and gets about 28 - 30 mpg highway, this was a steal that my father had found from a car rental place still under warranty with only 28,000 miles for only $9000. I'll probably give this to my girl because I drive more than she does and I'm partial to my Focus.

I don't think in terms of "what if..." very often so I couldn't tell you what car I'd buy if I had all the money in the world - maybe something crazy like a Ferrari - Not a Lambo which are more for looks than performance apposed to a Ferrari. Still wouldn't be my daily driver though, just for fun.

A BMW or Audi realistically, would be nice. But I'm on a limited income, even at that I have better things to spend my money on.

I'm currently considering buying an Accord for myself in the next year or so and if I do I'll sell the Crownvic and give the Focus to my girl instead. I'm think I'm done with domestic vehicles, I'd love to support the economy but not at the expense of driving an inferior car for more money - My dad is actually a Ford salesman and he'd shiit if he heard me say that.


not every soccer mom sports the suv for status bro....
Never said they all did, you misinterpreted what I wrote. The fact remains that many do, i know this first hand.
JOEL wrote:in the bay area (on the free ways) we have many cars and traffic issues..its a big metro. I would be hella nervous to put my family in a small UNSAFE ford...
I don't know if your trying to knock my car here, or not, it seems like you are, but I wont make any assumptions. Check the focus's safety rating if you are implying that my "ford" is unsafe.
JOEL wrote:if you look at the toyota suv's of today
the amount of harm they put into the air is likely less than the cars you mentioned...
Most cars today have decent emission percentages, but that has nothing to do with the their consumption of our most vital natural resource (fossil fuels), which v8s dispose of at a rate that would astound anyone not born and raised in North America.

And you are wrong about that 4runner of yours "likely" being environmentally safe (don't know where you got that "likely" from), it emits 12.20 tons annually on average - on a scale ranging from 16.2 being the worst and 3.5 being the best, 12.2 is pretty bad (11.40 tons for that Tacoma). And the EPA pollution rating is a 1 out of 10 (Bad). Check the facts: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19241.shtml, they are killing this planet like every other SUV and truck.
JOEL wrote:and with crumple zones front/passanger/side curtain air bags its a hell of a lot more safe.....
I'm sure they are safe, but a little research in necessary to claim they are any more safe than other manufacturer's SVUs. But I know that Toyota makes safe vehicles, sure, but I doubt many Toyota owners would have bought a Hyundai or KIA (Among the safest, check the ratings) based on safety, because they simply are very cool.

High and Mighty: SUVs--The World's Most Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way wrote:New York Times reporter Bradsher delivers sobering facts about the conveyances: they protect occupants poorly, inflict horrific damage in crashes, guzzle gasoline, spew emissions, and are, in fact, difficult to control in bad weather or panic situations.


It's a common misconception that SUVs are safer than any other vehicle - it's not your fault really because we are all lied to on a daily basis by the manufacturers. But they are probably the most unsafe vehicles, lots of books and reports can be found on this topic - I'll research it for you, if you care to educate yourself on the subject... Ralph Nader's Unsafe at Any Speed is a good book on the subject that comes to mind, but their are plenty more. Found this fun, new, acronym - SUVs: Selfish, Unsafe and Vain
JOEL wrote:also one of my two toyotas are built in the bay area.
Good, supporting local jobs is always a good thing, too bad the net profits for the vehicles are going overseas. But what are you going to do? I'm no better because my next car will likely be an "import", but maybe at least I'll research it, like you apparently have, and purchase one made in the US.

Not trying to start a fight here Joel, I'm just educating people like yourself on this topic...with facts.

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:13 am
not trying to bash any one for what they drive...
just trying to not be bashed...


i would not feel safe putting my two little ones and my life partner(wife)
in any small car...my feelings! data has nothing to do with my feelings.

cunsumption of most vital natural rescource...ummm my family comes way before any tree......i also work in an industry that provides for my family and millions of other families...this industry harms the earth
in on hour more than all my vehicals will ever do......if we are gonna get real on the tree issue than lets get real.

toyota vs hundai kia what ever ...cool vs safe...
well , i know and have seen the life and long term value of toyota
also what types of off road ABUSE they can take...safe yes
long term value yes yes yes dependable yes yes yes yes
PROVEN yea yes yes yes
i dont know for fact but i would bet the suspension- handling and breaking on the newer toyotas is better and is copied by the other makers


dude new york times what ever not feeling the spin doctors just look at the spin in your caption...lol


profits going over seas???????

ARE YOU KIDDING ME you must think i am fn stupid....
over seas owns this country right now....who do you think truely holds the note on your home and my home.



oooppps i missed on RALPH NADER.....**** NO COMMENT..whole other subject :)



so thats part of my thinking..
i know your not trying to start junk...i like the conversation actually ( thanks) i just think a bunch of the new green movement is marketing
and is for profit more than care or genuine concerne....we are in trouble because people dont
take care of the **** they buy or they get bored with it and throw it away or break it and go buy more ****.....
imo if we all took care of or stuff better we wouldnt be in the haze we are in....and we wouldnt be getting sold on the whole green world...

i love the earth my God created and i am not the best keeper of it...
but i take my kids to the forest beaches deserts lakes many many many times a year ( i will admitt i trailer up a couple quads) my kids are very little and they love the earth its creatures plants beauty sounds feelings
sights and all it offers ......but my cars are not the trouble...imo its our culture maybee not yours but the one we live in.
Image
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
All Star
Posts: 1563
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Modesto, CA
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:21 am
cars aren't really even made in the States anymore..mostly Mexico
Image
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:31 am
JOEL wrote:not trying to bash any one for what they drive...
just trying to not be bashed...
Never tried to bash anyone in particular other than those who thoughtlessly destroy our world. If you've taken offense to this than maybe you should rethink somethings, it's not me but maybe your conscious?


JOEL wrote:i would not feel safe putting my two little ones and my life partner(wife)
in any small car...my feelings! data has nothing to do with my feelings.
Your feelings deceive you. Maybe data and facts should play more of a role in your "feelings" and decision making - But hey! That's not the kind of illogical, ass-backwards thinking that got Bush elected twice and the Governator poised to destroy what's left of our public schools, now is it? - simple reference, I'm not implying that you're Republican.

JOEL wrote:cunsumption of most vital natural rescource...ummm my family comes way before any tree......
Wasn't refering to trees here...I don't know where you got that from, oil was the resource I was referring to.

JOEL wrote:i also work in an industry that provides for my family and millions of other families...this industry harms the earth
in on hour more than all my vehicals will ever do......
My your children's children forgive you, and your "God" for carelessly ruining this planet. Hey my brother works for a power company, I don't give him shiit, but he doesn't go around making statements like that especially without a hint of remorse, as you just did. Nothing against your job man, hey a job's a job, right? As long as you're attempting to balance it out or make some what of a difference.

JOEL wrote:if we are gonna get real on the tree issue than lets get real.
Again with the trees... Did I say the word tree once in my entire post? If it's the oil issue you are referring to, than I've already been real on it bro...

JOEL wrote:toyota vs hundai kia what ever ...cool vs safe...
well , i know and have seen the life and long term value of toyota
also what types of off road ABUSE they can take...safe yes
long term value yes yes yes dependable yes yes yes yes
PROVEN yea yes yes yes
i dont know for fact but i would bet the suspension- handling and breaking on the newer toyotas is better and is copied by the other makers
You are undoubtedly correct about the longevity of Toyota pickups and SUVs, no argument here.


JOEL wrote:dude new york times what ever not feeling the spin doctors just look at the spin in your caption...lol
Don't know what spin your talking about but if the NY Times isn't reputable enough than I can provide you with another source.


JOEL wrote:profits going over seas???????

ARE YOU KIDDING ME you must think i am fn stupid....
over seas owns this country right now....who do you think truely holds the note on your home and my home.
The California Employees Credit Union holds my lean, which is nonprofit, and offers some of the best interest rates I might add. So nobody overseas holds anything in regards to my home. I don't think your stupid, just ill informed.

JOEL wrote:oooppps i missed on RALPH NADER.....**** NO COMMENT..whole other subject :)
Not fallowing you here...

JOEL wrote:so thats part of my thinking..
i know your not trying to start junk...i like the conversation actually ( thanks) i just think a bunch of the new green movement is marketing
and is for profit more than care or genuine concerne....we are in trouble because people dont
take care of the **** they buy or they get bored with it and throw it away or break it and go buy more ****.....
imo if we all took care of or stuff better we wouldnt be in the haze we are in....and we wouldnt be getting sold on the whole green world...
Yes, waste is a major contributing factor to our planets demise, still nothing compared to motor vehicles (including airliners) where it's not so much the pollution but the dire state we'll be left in when all those fossil fuels, that we depend on so much, are gone.

JOEL wrote:i love the earth my God created and i am not the best keeper of it...
but i take my kids to the forest beaches deserts lakes many many many times a year ( i will admitt i trailer up a couple quads) my kids are very little and they love the earth its creatures plants beauty sounds feelings
sights and all it offers ......but my cars are not the trouble...imo its our culture maybee not yours but the one we live in.
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about me. I may come from a "earthy" community with a large "hippy" population, but I, in no way, view myself as one myself. I am realistic in my environmental beliefs, I may get a little heated on the subject, but it's not like I'm attending rallies and drum circles, I just try to do my part and try to educate others around me.

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm
ok bro we are wayfar apart....time to get backto my basic point...

its the culture not the individual.....i will not take responsability
for the culture.... i will do MY part in MY way.
all waste oil and kill the air in their own way im sure a smart guy like you ( so well spoken and all) dont need me ( an ill logical ass backward ) to example out the ways we all waste oil kill the air.

no need to get into an arguement it wont help...
it may help for you to feel my last point.
which is ...its the culture
i'll illistrate it like this....
you mentioned airlines ok ready here goes,
we should all stop supporting the warriors as their lack of reguard for oil and the air has illistrated; without remorse ,by them flying from city to city
for mere entertaiment .....
untill they buy a fleet of toyota prius's to drive from city to city
supporting them is supporting the things you are so strongley apposed to.

my point its the culture no one is willing to do what is Truely right...
Image
I had the meaning but missed the experience.
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:39 pm
JOEL wrote:ok bro we are wayfar apart....time to get backto my basic point...

its the culture not the individual.....i will not take responsability
for the culture.... i will do MY part in MY way.
all waste oil and kill the air in their own way im sure a smart guy like you ( so well spoken and all) dont need me ( an ill logical ass backward ) to example out the ways we all waste oil kill the air.

no need to get into an arguement it wont help...
it may help for you to feel my last point.
which is ...its the culture
i'll illistrate it like this....
you mentioned airlines ok ready here goes,
we should all stop supporting the warriors as their lack of reguard for oil and the air has illistrated; without remorse ,by them flying from city to city
for mere entertaiment .....
untill they buy a fleet of toyota prius's to drive from city to city
supporting them is supporting the things you are so strongley apposed to.

my point its the culture no one is willing to do what is Truely right...
I agree that society is much to blame, and there is no way around airliners - your sarcasm is heeded. And I accept your point, while the one I was trying to make was that those vehicles you own are, contrary to your original beliefs, not environmentally safe in the slightest way.

We should all make sacrifices, not for us, but for future generations and not be so nearsighted. If the people of this country would open their minds and decide to change the way we live, then maybe we could catch up with the rest of the world - we are the only invited nation to not ratify the Kyoto Protocol. - Thanks Bush, on behalf of the future generation whom may never be.
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron