The Dark Knight

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:05 pm
Something you may not know about ol' Player32 is that I'm a gigantic Batman buff. That being said, the new trailer released for the upcoming movie ("The Dark Knight") has me chomping at the bit for more. I'm totally buying into Heath Ledger's Joker. Its sadistic and creepy. For anybody else that wants to check out the trailer in high definition, go here:

http://www.thedarkknight.com

Click on the Batman logo and enjoy. If you don't care about image quality, I'm sure you can find a crappy version on YouTube.

Let the discussion begin. Thoughts?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 pm
I usually don't like superhero movies, but Batman Begins was a very well done movie, and Nolan's job is usually outstanding, so I have high hopes for The Dark Knight.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:32 pm
Yeah, Nolan's image is truly what has crafted this project. In fact, Heath Ledger admitted that he was never a comic book fan, never had any experience with the Joker character, and never had any attraction towards doing a comic book movie until this project... so I'd attribute the stellar-looking Joker character that Ledger has displayed thus far moreso to Nolan's direction, rather than Ledger himself.

While "The Dark Knight" is flaunting their new-look Joker, no one has said a word about Aaron Eckhart's Two-Face character. There have been zero pictures, references, or words relating to Eckhart's portrayal of the villian, besides one mishap where Eckhart admitted to playing "Harvey-Two-Face" in an interview... and refused to comment after being caught. Could Nolan be saving an ace up his sleeve? I admit, I hated Tommy Lee Jones' rendition of the character (and always believed that Billy Dee Wiliams would have been a much better pick), but Aaron Eckhart has me intrigued. If Heath Ledger can step out of himself THAT much to become a totally different persona, what does Eckhart have up his sleeve for Two-Face...?
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:11 am
The trailer certainly looks great. The bad part is that we still have a lot to wait for it. I don't know there, but we won't be able to watch it in Spain til next August...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:00 am
I'm highly anticipating its release in the Summer of 2008. I'm a HUGE Batman fan as well. Heath Ledger's Joker looks freakin' sick. I watched Batman Begins so many times that I think I have a feeling on the possible future characters in the Batman series such as the little boy become Robin. I'm just waiting for the Batman movie that has someone play the Joker role better than Jack Nicholson and the Penguin role better than Danny Devito.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:07 am
As much as I enjoyed DeVito's performance in the movie, I don't think that Tim Burton's portrayal of the character was accurate. As nerdy as this sounds, I believe the best Penguin was done by the old Adam West Batman show. The campy character seemed best; an umbrella carrying ganster whose giant nose and awkward laugh earned him the nickname of "penguin"... not some malformed child that got dumped in the sewer and fitted all the underground sewer penguins (?) with weird mind-control devices. Just my opinion.

Although, despite my opinion of Burton's portrayal of the Penguin, he was spot on with Catwoman. Not only did Michelle totally outdo Hallie (acting-wise AND hotness rating), but the character was enigmatic, interesting, and true to the comic book one.

I can't wait for Heath Ledger's Joker. The more I see of it, the more I like it.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:12 pm
Christopher Nolan is probably the best serious director of the 2000s (The Coen Brothers lost their title with Ladykillers and failed to regain it with No Country for Old Men). I can't wait to see this, even more I can't wait to see his rendition of "The Prisoner"
ImageImage
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:52 pm
I am slightly saddened that there has been no mention of Harley Quinn in the cast list so far since I am sure that a darkened version of her could be great in Nolan's series. Any other series, however, and the character would be far too cliche and shallow.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:00 pm
True, but Harley is an extremely light-hearted character (even moreso than the Joker), so it would be hard to imagine her dark enough for a Chris Nolan movie. Also, Ledger is attempting to do the psychotic, Jeffrey Dalmer, disturbed Joker... not like Jack's humorous, yet dangerous Joker, so the thought of a mad psychotic serial killer in quasi-love might take away from the character.

However, if they DID venture into that realm, I'd go after the chick that played Gloria from Wedding Crasher. "Don't ever leave me... cause I'll find you". She even gives you a psycho laugh to work with. Dye her head blond and put the Harley suit on her!
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:25 pm
Isla Fischer would be okay as Harley but I'd have a hard time believing her to be a full fledged psychiatrist working at Arkham. On that note, it would be useful, however, if the Dark Knight just had a shot of an office door with the name plate "Dr. Harleen Quinzel" near the end of the movie so it would at least leave an open door if they want to a) introduce the character or b) provide a logical path to how the Joker will esacpe Arkham if they choose to bring him back for a third movie.

But as far as who plays her I guess I can't come up with anyone better than Fischer, even though it doesn't seem perfect.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:30 pm
I'm honestly curious with Aaron Eckhart's portrayal of Two-Face. Honestly, Two-Face is my favorite Batman villian (behind the Joker, whose EVERYONE's favorite), so I'm taking a lot of interest in how he'll handle the role of duel personalities.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:22 pm
I think he'll do a great job as Harvey Dent. I'd like to make him a very regular person in this movie and carry it on into a third. The only way they can ruin it is if they try to just tack on his transformation at the very end to set up the third movie.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 pm
I just don't want another Spider-Man 3, where they dice up 4 terrific comic book sagas and regurgitate them into one script that doesn't explain ANYTHING and just cashes in on cool characters and special effects. Ugh...

The Joker deserves his own movie. Harvey deserves his own movie. Make it happen, Chris!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 pm
BREAKING NEWS:

Heath Ledger has been found dead! His cleaning lady apparently found him in his bed, with pills on his nightstand nearby! Apparently, Batman will be one of Ledger's final movies...

Thoughts??
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:56 pm
32 wrote:BREAKING NEWS:

Heath Ledger has been found dead! His cleaning lady apparently found him in his bed, with pills on his nightstand nearby! Apparently, Batman will be one of Ledger's final movies...

Thoughts??

Damn!!!..................cant believe that................well, I saw an interview with him about how he got into character for the Joker role, and he looked f***************ked............he was shaking, sniffling, stumbling across words and all sorts, looked out of his mind on drugs (ill try and find it).

Damn shame, playing the Joker looked like it was going to cement him as an incredibly good actor................although, if he was strung out then maybe it wasnt all that a feat!............sorry, thats disrespectful.

RIP Heath.

Edit = Here it is...........maybe not as bad as I first thought, but still, he doesnt look right =

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKa-aDga1fE[/youtube]
Next

Return to Off-Topic Forum