Interesting seminar about American Democracy

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:57 pm
Found this on YouTube

Talk by Naomi Wolf - The End of America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjALf12PAWc

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:10 am
It's 47 minutes long, dude. I don't have time to watch it now... but will do later. :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:37 am
Ok. Quick comments:

1.- Some of the facts cannot be denied. That's why they're facts. Still, it doesn't mean the rest of those facts will follow. History, contrary to the believe, doesn't have to repeat itself time after time (and I'm not defending anyone... just follow to the next point). In any case, there are several valid points in the speech.

2.- She used the speech to advance her own agenda, with a twofold objective: Promoting her book (something legit that every writer does) and promoting his political views (keep in mind she worked for the Clinton and Gore in their respective campaigns).

What does it mean?. Merely that she's not objective. I doubt anybody can be objective on this topic, but she's clearly not even close.

3.- Technically, it's one of the best speeches I've watched/heard lately. The way she talks, the way she moves, the way she uses the pauses... all that makes you feel closer to her and, thus, closer to her point of view. It's not a political speech, but more of a personal one. It's clear she has a lot of experience in that field. Good stuff.

Sadly, it's only a technically good speech. The content is not quite as good. That "restoring democracy" points is quite laughable, actually...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:39 am
TMC wrote:1.- Some of the facts cannot be denied. That's why they're facts. Still, it doesn't mean the rest of those facts will follow. History, contrary to the believe, doesn't have to repeat itself time after time

Yet it does :wink:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:42 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:1.- Some of the facts cannot be denied. That's why they're facts. Still, it doesn't mean the rest of those facts will follow. History, contrary to the believe, doesn't have to repeat itself time after time

No, it doesn't. :wink:

(Are we gonna start a circle-jerk here or what?. Don't count on me following if you have that in mind :mrgreen: )
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:53 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:

No, it doesn't. :wink:

(Are we gonna start a circle-jerk here or what?. Don't count on me following if you have that in mind :mrgreen: )

Look at history regarding the acts of governments the way this woman pointed out - It always leads to the same thing

Return to Off-Topic Forum