NEW SIGS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:06 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Lost three hard drives :shock: that's bad man! Do you have any advice on hooking up hard drives to each other and all that, I've been thinking about doing that, having one smaller capacity hard rive to use for general things like surfing the internet and then one or two others for storage but I'm not that educated in doing such things


Same as with any other device, with the settings of the HDs as master and slaves devices.

You may also use USB drives, which would make it a lot more simple to manage.



I stil don't know how to get my CD Burner and DVD Burner to work together. Pretty sure I can't connect them together on the same wires, even though there are enough wires to hook them both up, it just doesn't seem to work well as both of them become unuseable. Also, don't know how to change the "Master", "Slave" settings as when I try to go into it and do it at start up, there is no key to press to change those settings as far as I can see so I'm lost with that
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:13 am
migya wrote:I stil don't know how to get my CD Burner and DVD Burner to work together. Pretty sure I can't connect them together on the same wires, even though there are enough wires to hook them both up, it just doesn't seem to work well as both of them become unuseable. Also, don't know how to change the "Master", "Slave" settings as when I try to go into it and do it at start up, there is no key to press to change those settings as far as I can see so I'm lost with that


You can connect them both to the same wire. That's why you have to configure those settings. It's explained in the installation manual of each device.

Also, it's not a key, but a jumper you have to change. Check this link, where it's pretty well explained. You'll learn more with a picture than with anything I might say:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-4.html
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:16 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Lost three hard drives :shock: that's bad man! Do you have any advice on hooking up hard drives to each other and all that, I've been thinking about doing that, having one smaller capacity hard rive to use for general things like surfing the internet and then one or two others for storage but I'm not that educated in doing such things


Same as with any other device, with the settings of the HDs as master and slaves devices.

You may also use USB drives, which would make it a lot more simple to manage.
USB drive are pretty good if you don't mind the bottle neck that comes along with them. If you could get your hands on a firewire External HDD then I'd day that's they way to go. but SATA HDDs or Raid is the best solution if you have more than 4 EIDE devices and want optimal speed (SATA) and don't have the money or interface for firewire. I'm too poor for all that stuff though, I'm just going to have to make do with what I got until I can build a new PC.
User avatar
Moderator
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Eureka, CA - Humboldt
Poster Credit: 20
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:32 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I stil don't know how to get my CD Burner and DVD Burner to work together. Pretty sure I can't connect them together on the same wires, even though there are enough wires to hook them both up, it just doesn't seem to work well as both of them become unuseable. Also, don't know how to change the "Master", "Slave" settings as when I try to go into it and do it at start up, there is no key to press to change those settings as far as I can see so I'm lost with that


You can connect them both to the same wire. That's why you have to configure those settings. It's explained in the installation manual of each device.

Also, it's not a key, but a jumper you have to change. Check this link, where it's pretty well explained. You'll learn more with a picture than with anything I might say:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-4.html
First you have to ask yourself why do I want both Drives at the same time? If it's because you want to copy Discs "on the fly" (which is always a bad idea because of possible data loss) than you'd want your DVD burner to be set as a master on your primary ide channel (it's labeled on the motherboard) and the CD burner set to master on your second channel. To set master/slave settings you have 2 options:

1. Use the jumper settings on the back of the drives (there'll be a diagram on the drive itself explaining how to do this) and set them to CS (cable select) than use a IDE ribbon that has 3 connectors on it (the connectors should be labeled - CPU, MASTER, SLAVE).

2. Or I recommend just manually setting the jumper settings on the drive both to MS or Master, then it wont matter how you connect the ribbons as long as the drives are on separate channels and the other drives (if any ie - HDDs, Zip, ect.) are set to slaves.

BUT... You should have to use both drive because you DVD burner should do everything that your CD burner does and then some. so I'd recommend removing the CD Burner and just adding another HDD if you want more storage.

ALWAYS Have your DVD Burner set as your master on your primary IDE channel regardless of what the configuration. Plus don't forget to make sure all your drives (HDDs, CD, DVD, Ect) are set to DMA or Ultra DMA - to do this goto device manager goto the drive's properties and it should be in there somewhere.

Hope this helps, if you have further problems or questions than just ask.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:47 pm
JReed23 wrote:
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I stil don't know how to get my CD Burner and DVD Burner to work together. Pretty sure I can't connect them together on the same wires, even though there are enough wires to hook them both up, it just doesn't seem to work well as both of them become unuseable. Also, don't know how to change the "Master", "Slave" settings as when I try to go into it and do it at start up, there is no key to press to change those settings as far as I can see so I'm lost with that


You can connect them both to the same wire. That's why you have to configure those settings. It's explained in the installation manual of each device.

Also, it's not a key, but a jumper you have to change. Check this link, where it's pretty well explained. You'll learn more with a picture than with anything I might say:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6603_7-5118840-4.html
First you have to ask yourself why do I want both Drives at the same time? If it's because you want to copy Discs "on the fly" (which is always a bad idea because of possible data loss) than you'd want your DVD burner to be set as a master on your primary ide channel (it's labeled on the motherboard) and the CD burner set to master on your second channel. To set master/slave settings you have 2 options:

1. Use the jumper settings on the back of the drives (there'll be a diagram on the drive itself explaining how to do this) and set them to CS (cable select) than use a IDE ribbon that has 3 connectors on it (the connectors should be labeled - CPU, MASTER, SLAVE).

2. Or I recommend just manually setting the jumper settings on the drive both to MS or Master, then it wont matter how you connect the ribbons as long as the drives are on separate channels and the other drives (if any ie - HDDs, Zip, ect.) are set to slaves.

BUT... You should have to use both drive because you DVD burner should do everything that your CD burner does and then some. so I'd recommend removing the CD Burner and just adding another HDD if you want more storage.

ALWAYS Have your DVD Burner set as your master on your primary IDE channel regardless of what the configuration. Plus don't forget to make sure all your drives (HDDs, CD, DVD, Ect) are set to DMA or Ultra DMA - to do this goto device manager goto the drive's properties and it should be in there somewhere.

Hope this helps, if you have further problems or questions than just ask.



Much thanks for the help and I'll see what I can do. The reason why I NEED both CD and DVD burner is because I tried burning a CD with the DVD burner and didn't work so I figured the DVD burner could only burn DVDs. Any explanation of what could be worng?
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 am
migya wrote:Much thanks for the help and I'll see what I can do. The reason why I NEED both CD and DVD burner is because I tried burning a CD with the DVD burner and didn't work so I figured the DVD burner could only burn DVDs. Any explanation of what could be worng?


If it works burning DVDs, it has to work with CDs. Which program are you using to burn them?.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:28 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Much thanks for the help and I'll see what I can do. The reason why I NEED both CD and DVD burner is because I tried burning a CD with the DVD burner and didn't work so I figured the DVD burner could only burn DVDs. Any explanation of what could be worng?


If it works burning DVDs, it has to work with CDs. Which program are you using to burn them?.



Nero 7 premium which I have been using for months. I used this with the CD burner before getting the DVD burner and now with the DVD burner for burning DEVDs and always worked. Is there something I need to change on the hardware to get it working? Obviously I select burn DVD when burning DVDs and select burn CD when burning CDs
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:54 am
migya wrote:Nero 7 premium which I have been using for months. I used this with the CD burner before getting the DVD burner and now with the DVD burner for burning DEVDs and always worked. Is there something I need to change on the hardware to get it working? Obviously I select burn DVD when burning DVDs and select burn CD when burning CDs


Seems like you're doing it the right way. If the DVD Burner works all right to burn DVDs, it has to do it also with CDs. Try disconnecting the CD Burner and burning a CD with the DVD. It HAS to work.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:07 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Nero 7 premium which I have been using for months. I used this with the CD burner before getting the DVD burner and now with the DVD burner for burning DEVDs and always worked. Is there something I need to change on the hardware to get it working? Obviously I select burn DVD when burning DVDs and select burn CD when burning CDs


Seems like you're doing it the right way. If the DVD Burner works all right to burn DVDs, it has to do it also with CDs. Try disconnecting the CD Burner and burning a CD with the DVD. It HAS to work.



Just tried it and I get this error:
Internal Target Failure
Invalid write state
Could not perform EndTrack
Illegal mode for this track
Could not perform Fixation
Burn process failed at 40x (6,000KB/s)


Could it be the speed of copying? I thought the program changes that accordingly by itself
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:36 am
migya wrote:Just tried it and I get this error:
Internal Target Failure
Invalid write state
Could not perform EndTrack
Illegal mode for this track
Could not perform Fixation
Burn process failed at 40x (6,000KB/s)


Could it be the speed of copying? I thought the program changes that accordingly by itself


Can't be the speed. As you say, Nero adapts the burning speed to the CD (or DVD).

Maybe CDs of poor quality?. It happened to me before, and had the same message. I changed to Verbatim and everything works fine since then.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:56 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Just tried it and I get this error:
Internal Target Failure
Invalid write state
Could not perform EndTrack
Illegal mode for this track
Could not perform Fixation
Burn process failed at 40x (6,000KB/s)


Could it be the speed of copying? I thought the program changes that accordingly by itself


Can't be the speed. As you say, Nero adapts the burning speed to the CD (or DVD).

Maybe CDs of poor quality?. It happened to me before, and had the same message. I changed to Verbatim and everything works fine since then.



They are the same CDs I used with the CD burner
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:01 am
migya wrote:They are the same CDs I used with the CD burner


Yeah, but the same CDs can work with one device and not with another.

It happened to me with the previous DVDs I used (Bulkpaq... or something like that). All of them worked well with my old Burner, but the new one can't read or write over them. But it works perfectly with Verbatim, Sony or other DVDs of better quality.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:They are the same CDs I used with the CD burner


Yeah, but the same CDs can work with one device and not with another.

It happened to me with the previous DVDs I used (Bulkpaq... or something like that). All of them worked well with my old Burner, but the new one can't read or write over them. But it works perfectly with Verbatim, Sony or other DVDs of better quality.



I use Verbatim but will try with some others soon
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:04 am
migya wrote:I use Verbatim but will try with some others soon


It's worth a try, but if you're using Verbatim, I doubt that's the reason. Those are pretty good.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 21446
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:50 am
Location: Perth
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:13 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I use Verbatim but will try with some others soon


It's worth a try, but if you're using Verbatim, I doubt that's the reason. Those are pretty good.



That's what I thought so why this problem is happening I just don't know
Image



Image


migya make the ring fall on ya
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron