The never-ending-no-topic-anything-goes topic

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:40 am
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:even in a friendly league...a stacked team takes all the fun out of it

Yeah, but it's like in real life. If both sides agree to it, why not?. It's different if there's something else on the line. In that case, it can be considered a fraud... but if not, I assume both sides of the trade want to improve.

I kind of agree with eman here. I know from seasons where I used to do fantasy hoops that one thing I'd always do at the beginning of seasons was make shitloads of trade offers and try to fleece the newbies. Uninformed people being allowed to trade can take the fun out of it.

You have to respect everyone's free will to make their own decisions. It's like not allowing a trade to happen in the nba because a few teams think it's unfair. A crock

yeah but say it was a maxiell for amare trade. everyone knows its unfair but theres no one to veto it. now the person in 1st place who drafted a good team and made fair trades/ FA acquisitions will go to second place cuz some other guy who was probably 1 game away from making the playoffs moves into first place due to an unfair trade. when you take away competetion you take away the fun.

There have been some lopsided trades in nba history! What, does David Stern now have the right to veto the trade and reject it! No!

im sayin tho...this is supposed to be for fun...what fun is it when someone takes all the fun out of it? if this was the NBA id have no problem with any of the trades. as long as the contracts/money works out, it is what it is. iono...just my opinion
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:47 am
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:
EMan32 wrote:
migya wrote:
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:even in a friendly league...a stacked team takes all the fun out of it

Yeah, but it's like in real life. If both sides agree to it, why not?. It's different if there's something else on the line. In that case, it can be considered a fraud... but if not, I assume both sides of the trade want to improve.

I kind of agree with eman here. I know from seasons where I used to do fantasy hoops that one thing I'd always do at the beginning of seasons was make shitloads of trade offers and try to fleece the newbies. Uninformed people being allowed to trade can take the fun out of it.

You have to respect everyone's free will to make their own decisions. It's like not allowing a trade to happen in the nba because a few teams think it's unfair. A crock

yeah but say it was a maxiell for amare trade. everyone knows its unfair but theres no one to veto it. now the person in 1st place who drafted a good team and made fair trades/ FA acquisitions will go to second place cuz some other guy who was probably 1 game away from making the playoffs moves into first place due to an unfair trade. when you take away competetion you take away the fun.

There have been some lopsided trades in nba history! What, does David Stern now have the right to veto the trade and reject it! No!

im sayin tho...this is supposed to be for fun...what fun is it when someone takes all the fun out of it? if this was the NBA id have no problem with any of the trades. as long as the contracts/money works out, it is what it is. iono...just my opinion

But it is also something to try and win, a game for us all that is a competition of sorts.

The only thing I see that is good about being able to veto trades is when someone who is clearly not making the playoffs or clearly looking to make someone else better (either someone they like or to make someone they don't like lose), makes an obvious planned trade that is not made looking to get better. That is the only time and it is not easy to pickout

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:22 am
EMan32 wrote:yeah but say it was a maxiell for amare trade

That's an extreme example. I've never seen it happen, and I doubt anybody is gonna make that trade, unless he's getting paid for it. In that case, and only in that case, there should be a veto power (but if there's no money involved, nobody is gonna make such kind of deal).
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:52 am

Actually David Stern does have the right to veto trades :mrgreen:

And I'm talking about stuff like this year in a very competitive league, this dude traded Drew Gooden for Dwyane Wade. Totally fucked up the balance and made most people quit.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:[
And I'm talking about stuff like this year in a very competitive league, this dude traded Drew Gooden for Dwyane Wade. Totally fucked up the balance and made most people quit.

Did he give any reason for such a trade?. Sounds ridiculous, even for somebody that doesn't follow much the NBA.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:21 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:
migya wrote:There have been some lopsided trades in nba history! What, does David Stern now have the right to veto the trade and reject it! No!

Actually David Stern does have the right to veto trades :mrgreen:

Does he really? Man, I never knew that and I'm sure he hasn't used that power to stop a trade before has he?

tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:And I'm talking about stuff like this year in a very competitive league, this dude traded Drew Gooden for Dwyane Wade. Totally fucked up the balance and made most people quit.

Well, you never know if the guy trading to get Gooden didn't need rebounding and was good enough in guards. There is more to a trade than meets the eye usually
Last edited by migya on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:35 pm
i disagree...that trade is ridiculous no matter what kind of position/stats you need.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:13 pm
EMan32 wrote:i disagree...that trade is ridiculous no matter what kind of position/stats you need.

It has everything to do with it. If you have a team that is near dominating but just needs rebounding and you can afford to make such a trade, you do it, it is justified

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 pm
I understand that point, but the quality of the players isnt fair. For Wade, you can get a far better rebounder than Gooden. That is what makes it unfair. If they are addressing needs, fine, do that, but make it a little more fair for yourself and the rest of the league by getting a better player in return.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:23 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I understand that point, but the quality of the players isnt fair. For Wade, you can get a far better rebounder than Gooden. That is what makes it unfair. If they are addressing needs, fine, do that, but make it a little more fair for yourself and the rest of the league by getting a better player in return.

Besides the point. There was justification for that trade and nobody has the right to question it

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:35 pm
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I understand that point, but the quality of the players isnt fair. For Wade, you can get a far better rebounder than Gooden. That is what makes it unfair. If they are addressing needs, fine, do that, but make it a little more fair for yourself and the rest of the league by getting a better player in return.

Besides the point. There was justification for that trade and nobody has the right to question it

I've been in leagues where people make trades just to make others mad, rather than improving. There isnt always justification.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:40 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:

I've been in leagues where people make trades just to make others mad, rather than improving. There isnt always justification.

I covered that above, in an earlier post. It is hard to know whether that is the case and vetoing a trade is a big decision

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:47 pm
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:

I covered that above, in an earlier post. It is hard to know whether that is the case and vetoing a trade is a big decision

Lately, the fantasy leagues I have been in have a member veto power, with half the league plus one vetoing a trade to veto it. I prefer if it was just the league creater, though. It makes it a lot fairer against teams teaming up on other teams.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:53 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:

Lately, the fantasy leagues I have been in have a member veto power, with half the league plus one vetoing a trade to veto it. I prefer if it was just the league creater, though. It makes it a lot fairer against teams teaming up on other teams.

I'm the commissioner of our leagues and it will take a lot to get me to veto a trade

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:38 pm
migya wrote:I'm the commissioner of our leagues and it will take a lot to get me to veto a trade

and that's perfectly fine...just as long as theres the option. at least a 1 day waiting period for people to tell the commish why the trade shouldnt go thru if thats the case. if the commish finds the trade fair then go ahead and let the trade go thru...if not then veto. dont get me wrong...i dont mind how the leagues are set right now especially cuz our leagues really are friendly and there are no bogus trades going on that ive seen so far... but you gotta admit that in an instance like the example of wade for gooden its just an asinine trade. trading wade for a rebounder should get you like a jermaine oneal. or if for gooden then gooden plus another player.

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum