Video Game Thread

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Role Player
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:11 pm
Hah, I'm not sure what to make of that because of the eye rolling smiley, but I don't really care if anyone here makes fun of me for liking video games. Besides, the game's been out for nearly three years now, so 200 hours isn't too much really. That's around . . . 1.5 hours a week? (Extremely rough excuse for a calculation) Besides, I'm quite content with my social life. :wink:

Also, it really doesn't consume your life (at least, it doesn't HAVE to, heh). You can save anywhere, anytime. There have been times when I've turned it on for a matter of minutes at a time, or not played for months on end. It's not one of those games that just destroys your life ala WOW. It just has a quality that keeps you wanting more, especially if you go a while without playing it.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:19 pm
D4rk 0ne wrote:Hah, I'm not sure what to make of that because of the eye rolling smiley, but I don't really care if anyone here makes fun of me for liking video games. Besides, the game's been out for nearly three years now, so 200 hours isn't too much really. That's around . . . 1.5 hours a week? (Extremely rough excuse for a calculation) Besides, I'm quite content with my social life. :wink:

Also, it really doesn't consume your life (at least, it doesn't HAVE to, heh). You can save anywhere, anytime. There have been times when I've turned it on for a matter of minutes at a time, or not played for months on end. It's not one of those games that just destroys your life ala WOW. It just has a quality that keeps you wanting more, especially if you go a while without playing it.

it just cracks me up when people assume that others have no lives when they play video games. WOW is definitely different huh? i don't even wanna touch that bad boy, i like to stick to online shooters as my base game with some sports or action games sprinkled in.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:53 pm
I am not a "gamer" by any stretch and have never played any pc games or online games but a friend of mine convinced me to try WoW a couple of years ago. Holy crap... I got SO addicted. The game is so deep and well done. I had a blast but after about 6 months I had to stop. I got consumed by it. And by consumed I mean probably about 15 hours/week which is ALOT for me considering I am raising two young children, have a full time job etc.

I can see how people get "lost" in that game. I know of a couple people who have had their wives/girlfriend leave them and some that started calling in sick all the time. Crazy stuff.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm
Yeah, a really good MMO (WoW, Guild Wars) or even a mediocre one that happens to be free (RuneScape, Maple Story) can be DANGEROUS to the health (not to mention the social life :wink:).

That's why I prefer offline games; they're easy to play but you don't have to worry about losing control of your life as a result of playing them. Most "good" offline games only have around 10-20 hours of gameplay anyway. The Elder Scrolls games are an exception. I've heard of people who have spent 1000+ hours in BOTH Morrowind and Oblivion.

Then again, I know of people who have invested well over 100 DAYS in WoW, RuneScape, etc. Add in the RL cases that arise, as you alluded to bada -- divorces, assaults, theft, and everything in between -- now THAT is obsession.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:48 am
xbay, I saw you got Left 4 dead. Maybe we can do a level when we're both on.

However, I recently got Spore and I love love love it. It's taking up a lot of my time, tho, as it gets addicting. It's cool how you get to create your creature, and then your village, and then your city, etc.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:02 pm
JayPat wrote:xbay, I saw you got Left 4 dead. Maybe we can do a level when we're both on.

However, I recently got Spore and I love love love it. It's taking up a lot of my time, tho, as it gets addicting. It's cool how you get to create your creature, and then your village, and then your city, etc.

Alright, that'd be cool. It gets crazy when you're playing with friends, especially on versus mode, that's why I went with Left 4 Dead over CoD: WW.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 pm
I saw the red ring on my Xbox new years eve....got off work early and was gonna play a game before I picked up the wife and the xbox made a noise that sounded like the shot clock going off....which was confusing cause I was playing basketball, then it froze and now all I get is the red ring of death. how long does it take to get it back if you send it in to get fixed....is it worth doing, or should I just buy another one?
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm
"Always" Next wrote:I saw the red ring on my Xbox new years eve....got off work early and was gonna play a game before I picked up the wife and the xbox made a noise that sounded like the shot clock going off....which was confusing cause I was playing basketball, then it froze and now all I get is the red ring of death. how long does it take to get it back if you send it in to get fixed....is it worth doing, or should I just buy another one?

i think it takes about a month. I haven't had it happen to me but my friend and cousin have. I believe its a month. You'll lose your hardrive i think. some people i know buy a cheap one just in case so they won't be without it for too long
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:40 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:I saw the red ring on my Xbox new years eve....got off work early and was gonna play a game before I picked up the wife and the xbox made a noise that sounded like the shot clock going off....which was confusing cause I was playing basketball, then it froze and now all I get is the red ring of death. how long does it take to get it back if you send it in to get fixed....is it worth doing, or should I just buy another one?

i think it takes about a month. I haven't had it happen to me but my friend and cousin have. I believe its a month. You'll lose your hardrive i think. some people i know buy a cheap one just in case so they won't be without it for too long

Do you have one of those cooling fans Rob? I was really surprised when mine took a dump. I really only play sports games, so I am on it for maybe half an hour to 45 minutes at a time and just a few times a week. I have had it for acouple years, but I was shocked to see it crash.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

Do you have one of those cooling fans Rob? I was really surprised when mine took a dump. I really only play sports games, so I am on it for maybe half an hour to 45 minutes at a time and just a few times a week. I have had it for acouple years, but I was shocked to see it crash.

no i don't, i just got mine a year ago. I've been using it a lot lately and haven't had problems. I heard the cooling fan can void the warranty for the red ring replacement, but i'm not sure
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:55 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

no i don't, i just got mine a year ago. I've been using it a lot lately and haven't had problems. I heard the cooling fan can void the warranty for the red ring replacement, but i'm not sure

I dont have one....I was just wondering if they helped. I guess 2 years was a decent run....and if I can get it fixed for free I can wait for it.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

I dont have one....I was just wondering if they helped. I guess 2 years was a decent run....and if I can get it fixed for free I can wait for it.

i guess if you don't play it a whole lot it won't bother you. For me it'd be like somebody took my cigarrettes if i were a hardcore smoker.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:01 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

i guess if you don't play it a whole lot it won't bother you. For me it'd be like somebody took my cigarrettes if i were a hardcore smoker.

I definitely play it enough that I will miss it....I am considering buying the new low end one so when the other one gets fixed I will have a backup.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:05 pm
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
"Always" Next wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:

no i don't, i just got mine a year ago. I've been using it a lot lately and haven't had problems. I heard the cooling fan can void the warranty for 6e red ring replacement, but i'm not sure

. I dont have one....I was just wondering if they helped. I guess 2 years was a decent run....and if I can get it fixed for free I can wait for it.

I definitely play it enough that I will miss it....I am considering buying the new low end one so when the other one gets fixed I will have a backup.

yeah, that's a good idea. Try to find a way to salvage your hard drive, cuz my cousin lost all his stuff. I don't know if you have to send it or he is a dumbass
Role Player
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 pm
It took 2-3 weeks for me, and like Rob said you will probably lose your HD in the process. I would just wait it out myself, but you should do whatever you want (regarding whether you should buy a cheap package). Also consider buying a used 360 on craigslist; there are bound to be some good deals there.
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum