MOVIE REVIEWS

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:58 pm
first off wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:Anybody see Inglorious Basterds yet? I'm dyin to see that one.

gonna check it out this weekend... yeah I heard it's supposed to rock too!

Yeah, I have and I loved it.

Don't expect for too much action, cause there's not that much as you may think. It's a dialogue driven movie, but the dialogue is excellent and supreme. When there are action scenes, they don't let you down... or at least, they didn't let me down. My favorite scene was the cellar scene. I'm not going to talk about it 'til you guys see it, though. And the I was surprised to see Michael Myers in there. It was great to see him in it. See if you can spot him in the movie, though, cause he appears only once.

Tarantino did an awesome job with the movie. And I'll admit, Brad Pitt played a very convincing, funny Aldo Raine... leader of the Basterds.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:08 am
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:

Don't expect for too much action, cause there's not that much as you may think. It's a dialogue driven movie, but the dialogue is excellent and supreme. When there are action scenes, they don't let you down... or at least, they didn't let me down. My favorite scene was the cellar scene. I'm not going to talk about it 'til you guys see it, though. And the I was surprised to see Michael Myers in there. It was great to see him in it. See if you can spot him in the movie, though, cause he appears only once.

Tarantino did an awesome job with the movie. And I'll admit, Brad Pitt played a very convincing, funny Aldo Raine... leader of the Basterds.

Went to see it last night, and I loved it as well. Perfectly over the top in some areas. The "Jew Hunter" was a great villain in that movie. The guy played him so great. The cellar scene you're talking about is the one in the beginning? That was suspenseful. Brad Pitt was awesome. He was very funny, especially with his "italian accent" later on. really good movie though.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:17 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:

Went to see it last night, and I loved it as well. Perfectly over the top in some areas. The "Jew Hunter" was a great villain in that movie. The guy played him so great. The cellar scene you're talking about is the one in the beginning? That was suspenseful. Brad Pitt was awesome. He was very funny, especially with his "italian accent" later on. really good movie though.

Nah, the one when a few of the Basterds were disguised as Nazi's. The one where it ended, "Say auf wiedersehen to your Nazi balls!"
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 am
17 again was a real good film and both me and my wife enjoyed watching it very much. Better if you have a long time girlfriend or wife, as you can somewhat relate to the story. The main character (young version that is) looks like alot like Steve Nash.

I Love You Man is another real good film. Very funny in parts, pretty funny for the most part and a good story.

Watchmen was a movie that I fell asleep watching. Real bad and to be honest, I might watch it earlier than starting at 9pm like I did, but I don't fall asleep that early usually anyway so it was the film that did it. Quite shiit, especially for all the hype.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I only saw about 40mins of at a mate's house and though the quality was cam, pretty good but cam, the story had me interested for what I watched. Be good to hear someone's take on it if they've seen the whole movie

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:53 pm
xbay wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:

Nah, the one when a few of the Basterds were disguised as Nazi's. The one where it ended, "Say auf wiedersehen to your Nazi balls!"

Oh the basement one, that had to be one of my favorites too. "You didn't tell me we were gonna have a mexican standoff" hahaha " you have a machine gun pointed at me, i have guys on the roof ready to throw grenades down at you, that is a mexican standoff" paraphrasing of course
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:55 pm
Aliens in the Attic was better than what I expected.Good for children as well as adults. Funny and quite action packed. A good film I found

District 9 I've only watche about thirty minutes of and really,it looks pretty shiit

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:04 pm
migya wrote:Aliens in the Attic was better than what I expected.Good for children as well as adults. Funny and quite action packed. A good film I found

District 9 I've only watche about thirty minutes of and really,it looks pretty shiit

For a guy who loves his conspiracies, how can you not like distict 9. it indirectly touches on a lot of controversal topics. I thought out of everyone on this board, you would have liked this movie the most.

and aliens in the attic is just an awful movie. Not creative, not original, and boring. even my 10 year old cousin thought she was too cool for this, who pretty much is the intended audience for this film.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:31 pm
migya wrote:17 again was a real good film and both me and my wife enjoyed watching it very much. Better if you have a long time girlfriend or wife, as you can somewhat relate to the story. The main character (young version that is) looks like alot like Steve Nash.

Zac Efron is probably dubbed as one of the most hated guys in America in teenage boys' eyes. I guess it dates back to the whole High School Musical thing.

migya wrote:I Love You Man is another real good film. Very funny in parts, pretty funny for the most part and a good story.

Definitely been wanting to see it. My friends say it's pretty good.

migya wrote:Watchmen was a movie that I fell asleep watching. Real bad and to be honest, I might watch it earlier than starting at 9pm like I did, but I don't fall asleep that early usually anyway so it was the film that did it. Quite shiit, especially for all the hype.

I heard it was shitty as well, but just know this... it is NOT a superhero movie. It looks like one, but it is not.

migya wrote:Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince I only saw about 40mins of at a mate's house and though the quality was cam, pretty good but cam, the story had me interested for what I watched. Be good to hear someone's take on it if they've seen the whole movie

It was good. I don't like reading anymore, but my sister told me they skipped a bunch of parts in the movie that were in the book and changed some things. Still, it's probably the second best of the series, if not the best. There's been 6 movies so far... one more to go(well, two... but the final book is split into two movies).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:38 pm
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:

Oh the basement one, that had to be one of my favorites too. "You didn't tell me we were gonna have a mexican standoff" hahaha " you have a machine gun pointed at me, i have guys on the roof ready to throw grenades down at you, that is a mexican standoff" paraphrasing of course

Probably one of my favorite quotes from that scene was when they were playing the guessing game. It sounds racist, but the way it was interpreted into the scene was really good.

Major Dieter Hellstrom: Now, gentlemen, around this time you could ask whether you're real or fictitious. I, however, think that's too easy, so I won't ask that yet. Okay, my native land is the jungle. I visited America, but the visit was not fortuitous to me, but the implication is that it was to somebody else. When I went from the jungle to America, did I go by boat?
Bridget von Hammersmark: Yes.
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Did I go against my will?
Major Dieter Hellstrom: On this boat ride, was I in chains?
Major Dieter Hellstrom: When I arrived in America, was I displayed in chains?
Bridget von Hammersmark: Yes!
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Am I the story of the negro in America?
Cpl. Wilhelm Wicki: No.
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Well, then, I must be King Kong.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:52 am
Mr. Crackerz wrote:
migya wrote:Aliens in the Attic was better than what I expected.Good for children as well as adults. Funny and quite action packed. A good film I found

For a guy who loves his conspiracies, how can you not like distict 9. it indirectly touches on a lot of controversal topics. I thought out of everyone on this board, you would have liked this movie the most.

and aliens in the attic is just an awful movie. Not creative, not original, and boring. even my 10 year old cousin thought she was too cool for this, who pretty much is the intended audience for this film.

As I said, so far I've seen about thirty minutes of District 9 and as far as relating to conspiracies,I don't see any thus far, just alot of pretty crap South African acting.
EDIT: Just finished watching District 9 and I'm glad I got it for free, because even if it was a weekly movie hire for 1 buck, I'd still be pissed

Aliens in the Attic was nice, everyone has their own opinions, but my daughter and my friend's five sons enjoyed it very much

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm
hey fella's, don't bother with Surrogates. just got back from it (my dad wanted to see it for some reason).

It's almost like a high schooler wrote the entire movie while watching the matrix and iRobot back to back. stole a lot of ideas, an actor (I'm pretty sure it even has the same actor playing the same "inventor-of-the-robots" character as iRobot), and it didn't even come out half as good as iRobot (which was just a bit above par at best).

I mean, it's not horrible, and it's based on a really cool concept, but it could have been SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER. It was frustrating watching such a poorly executed big budget film.

The plot moves super slow (it's really more of a mystery/drama than an action flick), you can tell whats going to happen before it happens, and the movie spends too much time pushing it's central message (don't let technology live your life for you) and not enough on plot/character development.

I will give some it props, because I think it did a cool job of mimicking a few trends of today's culture:
1) if your robot dies in battle, you just take control of another robot soldier back at base camp, just like a call-of-duty-type war game. don't get your panties all moist COD fans, it's just like a one minute clip.
2) I think they drove home the message that Second Life style "video games" are kind of creepy (which I totally agree with). don't spend too much time with that stuff, or you will forget that you're not actually that avatar.
3) The opening scenes are a visual timeline of how we got to the not-to-distant future (where everyone controls robots with there mind). The first clips are actually real clips from real robots people have actually made (like the robot arm controlled by a monkey's brain). they integrated real and fake clips almost seamlessly and I thought that was cool.

unfortunately, it's not enough to call this a good movie.

Here's how to tell it was a bad movie:
- people were yawning in the theater
- I checked the time on my watch three times (it was a only 90 min flick mind you)
- everybody just got up and left quietly when it was over (with a few mumblings of "that sucked" here and there)
- my dad, who likes every bruce willis movie, thought it was dumb
- most importantly: it had sideways camera angles

when a director resorts to sideways camera shots (aka the shot is tilted to the side slightly) you know it's a bad movie. It's intended to add emotion and depth to the storyline... it didn't work (as it never does).

Why did the director have to do this? because the writers wrote themselves into a hole: If we have a lot of robots on camera, you can't express a lot of emotion. without human emotion, everybody on screen looks like they can't act. people don't want to watch actors that can't act.

It's literally like the director said "just act like you can't act"... For a movie that's only an hour and a half, the long dialogues between surrogates (the robots controlled by humans made it feel like a 3 hour movie.

I know it looks like it will be a bad ass movie 'cause people like bruce, and figure if he's in it, it can't be that bad. don't bother man. better yet, grab the four friends you were going to see Surrogates with, rent iRobot on DVD, spend your combined $36 movie ticket dollars on a few cases of beer, and drink until Will Smith looks like Bruce Willis.

I give it 2 stars out of 5
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:33 pm
xbay wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
RobDIKUM wrote:
xbay wrote:
first off wrote:

Probably one of my favorite quotes from that scene was when they were playing the guessing game. It sounds racist, but the way it was interpreted into the scene was really good.

Major Dieter Hellstrom: Now, gentlemen, around this time you could ask whether you're real or fictitious. I, however, think that's too easy, so I won't ask that yet. Okay, my native land is the jungle. I visited America, but the visit was not fortuitous to me, but the implication is that it was to somebody else. When I went from the jungle to America, did I go by boat?
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Did I go against my will?
Major Dieter Hellstrom: On this boat ride, was I in chains?
Major Dieter Hellstrom: When I arrived in America, was I displayed in chains?
Bridget von Hammersmark: Yes!
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Am I the story of the negro in America?
Cpl. Wilhelm Wicki: No.
Major Dieter Hellstrom: Well, then, I must be King Kong.

yeah that was a good one, that scene was the best. I'm definitely gonna buy that one when it's released on DVD!

Also, i recently saw Cloudy with a chance of meatballs in IMAX 3D. Took my daughter and i gotta tell you i was BLOWN AWAY. It felt like i was in the movie at times. Incredible.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:17 am
to get the bad taste of "Surrogates" out of my mouth, I'm watchin Mad Max and Mad Max 2 back to back. good times!
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:25 am
RobDIKUM wrote:Also, i recently saw Cloudy with a chance of meatballs in IMAX 3D. Took my daughter and i gotta tell you i was BLOWN AWAY. It felt like i was in the movie at times. Incredible.

Speaking of 3D, I'm really looking forward to when they release Toy Story and Toy Story 2 at the theaters in 3D. Gonna go watch that with one of my little nephews or so. Loved those movies when I was little.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:30 pm
I think Transporter movies are simply the best action movies i seen from a long time.. Bruce Willis is out !!!

Jason Statham is very cool in Frank Martin . This role is perfect for him !!!

Me i like the action scene and my wife very like Jason Staham for his body for sure !!! ( Not me, Not me Ha Ha Ha !!! )

Some Transporter wallpapers samples:

Some screencaps:

I built a tribute fan site about The Transporter trilogy:
Find here a huge batch of Transporter wallpapers,screencaps,soundtrack & vids

Now i'm waiting. I'm sure the box office have a place for The Transporter 4 !!!

Next time .
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum