Best Lyricist of All-Time

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:28 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:I didn't think it was possible to dislike the beatles. Given that you don't like the beatles, you probably don't enjoy real music unless you think that charlie parker is the reincarnation of budha and that coltrane is an avatar of vishnu. I hope you appreciate good jazz because if you don't appreciate jazz or the beatles you don't appreciate music. I enjoy rap but it isn't music per se.

I never said the Beatles were bad, just not to my taste. I respect their legacy, but they're too dull for me.

I like Jazz, tho (Charlie Parker and Coltrane, Miles Davis, Marcus Miller... f*ck, I even own a Wayman Tisdale CD... talk about weird things). I don't know as much about Jazz as I'd like, tho.

I also like some Hip Hop, mostly from 2Pac and a few others (Common, The Roots, Masta Ace, J-Live...) but most of it is crap.

My statements were never meant as disrespectful, just that I don't find them so... exciting. It happens. No biggie.

About Eminem, I completely agree with migya. A couple of catchy songs and all hype. He's talented, I'll give him that, but he should do much better with that talent.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:58 am
Personally boys, old music like the beattles can go stick it! Some music from the 70s is alright but I'm more into hard rock, certain types of heavy metal, some rap (NWA did for me :mrgreen: ) and alot of 80s songs I like. Call me a lover and a fighter all in one :D

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:29 pm
So migya are you listening to slayer or sepultura when your sticking needles into your Dunleavoodoo doll :evil4:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:09 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:So migya are you listening to slayer or sepultura when your sticking needles into your Dunleavoodoo doll :evil4:

No, I listen to a bit of Faith No More, Robbie Williams, Metallica, Linkin Park, Black Eyed Peas and other rock and 80s music. A variety really

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:28 pm
Metallica's some good stuff! AC/DC has to be my favorite from the 80's.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:31 pm
Yikes, 32, if this was strictly a hip-hop thread, than somehow, suddenly, it's turned into great rock bands. I'll just keep out of this thread until I see someone that deals with hip-hop. No offense to rock, I'm just not a fan and wasn't born to listen to it. Some rock does sound decent to me though.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:43 am
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yikes, 32, if this was strictly a hip-hop thread, than somehow, suddenly, it's turned into great rock bands. I'll just keep out of this thread until I see someone that deals with hip-hop. No offense to rock, I'm just not a fan and wasn't born to listen to it. Some rock does sound decent to me though.

Add something to the thread you want to talk about, then. It was originally a hip hop thread, and it can be again. It's just that we usually drift away from the original topic.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:47 pm
migya wrote:Personally boys, old music like the beattles can go stick it! Some music from the 70s is alright but I'm more into hard rock

migya wrote:No, I listen to a bit of Robbie Williams

:shock:

Robbie Williams isn't hip-hop, he isn't rock, and he isn't 80's. He's purely pop. I know I've heard he's big out of the States, but I've never been big on him.

And I disagree with you and TMC about Eminem. Have you guys actually picked up one of his LPs and listened to them... or do you just go off of his poppy little singles? I'll admit, Eminem's singles are some of his lesser work (hell, he even admits it. The man wrote "The Real Slim Shady" a week before the CD began getting advertised). But you can't convince me that the majority of Eminem's songs are about pointless, meandering stupidity. On his CDs, Eminem will let his creative juices pour out for 2 or 3 tracks... and something like "Big Weenie" will end up on an album. But most of his songs have substance behind them.

Singles? Like most rappers, they're not always up to par. But the majority of his tracks are quality.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:24 pm
#32 wrote:
migya wrote:Personally boys, old music like the beattles can go stick it! Some music from the 70s is alright but I'm more into hard rock

migya wrote:No, I listen to a bit of Robbie Williams

:shock:

Robbie Williams isn't hip-hop, he isn't rock, and he isn't 80's. He's purely pop. I know I've heard he's big out of the States, but I've never been big on him.

I like anything that sounds good. Sometimes I feel like listening to something harder and sometimes I like a nicer, softer song. Good beat really makes a song

#32 wrote:And I disagree with you and TMC about Eminem. Have you guys actually picked up one of his LPs and listened to them... or do you just go off of his poppy little singles?

I like that take off of Eminem's song My name is Slim Shady. It's by Insane Clown Posse and it's called Slim Anus :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:15 pm
Oh yeah. The ICP.

A band whose big career event is a cameo in a low-budget, non-sponsored wrestling game. :roll:
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:18 pm
Anyone here like Pink Floyd?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:25 pm
Better question: anyone here NOT like Pink Floyd?

... TMC??? :evil:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:48 pm
TMC wrote:
xBayAreaWarriorx wrote:Yikes, 32, if this was strictly a hip-hop thread, than somehow, suddenly, it's turned into great rock bands. I'll just keep out of this thread until I see someone that deals with hip-hop. No offense to rock, I'm just not a fan and wasn't born to listen to it. Some rock does sound decent to me though.

Add something to the thread you want to talk about, then. It was originally a hip hop thread, and it can be again. It's just that we usually drift away from the original topic.

Nah, I'll let em resume with it. Then I'll come in later with something.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:52 pm
I am disappointed in the Roots new cd after 1 listen through :!:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:01 pm
#32 wrote:Oh yeah. The ICP.

A band whose big career event is a cameo in a low-budget, non-sponsored wrestling game. :roll:

Real funny song though!

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum