Best Lyricist of All-Time

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:20 am
#32 wrote:Better question: anyone here NOT like Pink Floyd?

... TMC??? :evil:

I like'em... a bit. :mrgreen:

About Emimen, the only think I liked about his career is the movie, 8 Mile. It wasn't great, but decent enough. I was expecting a turd of a movie, and at least it kept me entertained. Maybe Brittany Murphy did the trick. :wink:

O.G. broe wrote:I am disappointed in the Roots new cd after 1 listen through

Why?. It's not their best album (not even close), but it's certainly better than "The Tipping Point".
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:39 pm
TMC wrote:About Emimen, the only think I liked about his career is the movie, 8 Mile. It wasn't great, but decent enough. I was expecting a turd of a movie, and at least it kept me entertained. Maybe Brittany Murphy did the trick. :wink:

Pick up his album "The Eminem Show".

I know his previous LPs put him on the map... and "Encore" was the one he released as the King of Rap, but "the Eminem Show" is what put him on top to begin with. Before that, he was just a B-list rapper.

"When the Music Stops", "What You Say", "Drips", "White America"... they're all good songs (both lyrically AND catchy). And don't let the circus style of "Square Dance" scare you off. That tracks got some legit shiit to say about Bush (right when all the conflict started, too). And, even though it's not one of my personal favorites, "Cleanin' Out My Closet" is one that everybody seems to enjoy. There's a lot more to that CD than the poppy, no-substance "Without Me" single on it.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:13 am
#32 wrote:Pick up his album "The Eminem Show".

I know his previous LPs put him on the map... and "Encore" was the one he released as the King of Rap, but "the Eminem Show" is what put him on top to begin with. Before that, he was just a B-list rapper.

"When the Music Stops", "What You Say", "Drips", "White America"... they're all good songs (both lyrically AND catchy). And don't let the circus style of "Square Dance" scare you off. That tracks got some legit shiit to say about Bush (right when all the conflict started, too). And, even though it's not one of my personal favorites, "Cleanin' Out My Closet" is one that everybody seems to enjoy. There's a lot more to that CD than the poppy, no-substance "Without Me" single on it.

Ok, you have convinced me to give him another chance. I'll do that and post about it once I'm done.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 am
Good man. :thumbleft:

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:11 am
Who's up on Devin the Dude :drinking:
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:58 pm
TMC wrote:
#32 wrote:Pick up his album "The Eminem Show".

Ok, you have convinced me to give him another chance. I'll do that and post about it once I'm done.

Why pick up Eminem and put it into the drive when you can go to your collection. throw on Common 'Reserection' and know you'll be listening to a banging album ( no need to judge this man's ability dude lets his production and flow speak for itselfs.

Sorry #32 i got a feeling TMC is just too hardcore to listen to anything that's gone mainstream ( am i right BROTHER ? )
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:13 pm
O.G pawnograffiti wrote:Why pick up Eminem and put it into the drive when you can go to your collection. throw on Common 'Reserection' and know you'll be listening to a banging album ( no need to judge this man's ability dude lets his production and flow speak for itselfs.

Sorry #32 i got a feeling TMC is just too hardcore to listen to anything that's gone mainstream ( am i right BROTHER ? )

Yeah, you're probably right, but at least I'll give him another chance... If I end up liking Em, great. If not, I'll have even more reasons to hate him. It's a win-win situation. :wink:

I should have the album tomorrow...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:24 am
I've just heard the album and... not surpringly, I still don't like him. But mostly due to his style. I don't like the beats in most of the songs, and I can't stand his voice (I've heard this about Common's voice a lot. I've never had a problem with that. For me, it happens with Em).

But I must admit that I've got a better concept of him as a lyricist now.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:26 pm
TMC wrote:I've just heard the album and... not surpringly, I still don't like him. But mostly due to his style. I don't like the beats in most of the songs, and I can't stand his voice (I've heard this about Common's voice a lot. I've never had a problem with that. For me, it happens with Em).

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

I still think it justifies my point about removing the majority of his songs from the "nonsensical, BS" category. On that track you have... what? Maybe 2 or 3 songs out of like 18 that are BS. "Without Me", "Business", and...? Maybe "My Dad's Gone Crazy"... but I even think that one's got substance in it.

I dunno... different tastes, I guess. :)
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:59 pm
I like Em. Why? Because I'm just that type of guy who's into that type of music. Yeah, I feel E-40 is doing nothing for the bay and a certain underground bay rap artist would succeed way more than him. The fact is that I'm a guy who goes with the game today. That's just me, it's what I heard first.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:15 pm
Devin the dude is tight, but I haven't been up on him lately ***030***
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:56 pm
#32 wrote:
TMC wrote:I've just heard the album and... not surpringly, I still don't like him. But mostly due to his style. I don't like the beats in most of the songs, and I can't stand his voice (I've heard this about Common's voice a lot. I've never had a problem with that. For me, it happens with Em).

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

I still think it justifies my point about removing the majority of his songs from the "nonsensical, BS" category. On that track you have... what? Maybe 2 or 3 songs out of like 18 that are BS. "Without Me", "Business", and...? Maybe "My Dad's Gone Crazy"... but I even think that one's got substance in it.

I dunno... different tastes, I guess. :)

Yeah, I think eminem is perhaps the best combo of substance and lyrics there is. He can rhyme as well as Lyrics Born or Blackalicious and puts in as much substance as immortal technique. Stan is the ultimate example of emotion in a completely fabricated song. on the other hand, the substanceless "drug ballad" (not one of my faves) had just crazy good lyrics.

I sometimes prefer Lyrics Born or Blackalicious to Eminem, just depends on my mood.
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:54 pm
While not in the top-50, the Clipse new album is BANGIN'...Anyone heard it yet...***030***

--- Okay everybody meet Mr. me too ---
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:17 am
No I haven't. Where you get it at? I was looking to hear from him.
All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:19 pm
Anybody heard The Coup? Not the most well known but Boots is a fukking ill lyricist, even if it isn't produced well
ImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Forum