How to get more members for this forum

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Hall of Famer
» Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:33 am
Hi guys/members. I was thinking of how this forum is still pretty quiet with only a few members regularly present. I am actually more present here than I thought I would be but I wanted to have a chat about ideas to spread the word about this forum. With the team so successful now it should be easier to attract more members out there, it is just about putting the word out in various ways. I don't use Facebook much anymore and assume that ads for that would cost a bit and that really isn't needed when there are plenty of free ways to advertise.

I was thinking of, when I have more time, of joining forums of other sports and spreading the word there, posting links to this forum even.

What ideas do you all have.

Franchise Player
» Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:36 am
I believe Messageboards are a dying community simply with the introduction of Facebook, twitter, instagram.

When i wanted my warriors news, I use to come here but now I follow a thousand other like minded fans on twitter and the knowledge and opinion is right there at my finger tips.

IDK how to boost numbers but I'm sure "Word of Mouth" amongst the posters of this community is the best course of action.

Site Admin
» Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:30 pm
This has been a subject I've put a lot of thought into (for obvious reasons), but I've been reluctant to discuss it openly... until now, so get read for a novel...

PAWNO wrote:I believe Messageboards are a dying community simply with the introduction of Facebook, twitter, instagram.

Pawno is partially right, social media has been a killer of the less niche, old-school message board. We're really not that niche because we cover a big and popular topic with a potentially broad demographic (not something like prius chat, or something very specific). As a result, we're in competition with other mediums like FB, Twitter, and Reddit - that last one probably being the biggest for actual discussion.

I disagree that this is a dying format though. There are several advantages that forums offer or do better than those other formats. One being that they aren't conducive to long-term and in-depth discussion - the conversations are so temporary that it's almost a faux pas to respond to something older than 24 hours (Reddit, FB). Most limit how much you can say (Twitter and Reddit with the "lol tl;dr"), everyone is contentious (Twitter, Reddit), or poorly moderated (Reddit) if at all (FB, Twitter). Their popularity is symptomatic of the general population's waning attention span, and their thirst for immediate gratification.

Pawno's theory that this format is dieing also doesn't explain why other sports team board continue to thrive. Though a lot of that is because they have a vested, long-time member base, and the board split took many of those member with them, and I'm talking to two of the last standing OPs.

I have many ideas I'm planning on implementing, but I've been working so much that I just haven't had the time.
PAWNO wrote:When i wanted my warriors news, I use to come here but now I follow a thousand other like minded fans on twitter and the knowledge and opinion is right there at my finger tips.

The new, mobile-friendly layout was a step in the right direction (though I still have some work to do there), but there is a lot I/we can take and learn from what makes these other mediums so popular.

Honestly, I stuck with phpBB because I saw the discussions in their community and in their development that many of the features we need were right around the corner, but ultimately a lot of that was empty promises, and they're development is moving at a snail's pace. But it's the best and most active type of the conventional formats (I'm also most proficient in it's programming language, php), and I hated the look and feel of the more modern alternatives:
  • Discourse - Flat forum that organizes topics by "categories" instead of forums.
    CONS: I think it's chaotic, messy, and less inviting to new users - I get the, "huh... where do I begin?" feeling - a total lack of direction and simple organization.
    PROS: As a "...but..." to that CON, once you get used to it, it's not all that bad, and you learn to appreciate its layout. Lot's of modern features that I want here. The main page has a simple list of these features: https://www.discourse.org/ , but this is a more thorough list: https://www.discourse.org/about/
  • Vanilla - Much like a poor man's Discourse, but written in php so I'd prefer that off the bat, and with main of the same features. Discourse's mobile layout is much better though. No need for Pro vs cons here since it's pretty much the same.
  • ElkArte - Far more conventional, but with newer features. The biggest issue here is it looks like they're taking steps backwards in general, and there's little development activity.

I was eventually planning on posting a roadmap with a feature list and letting you guys help determine what you think is most important. I'll work on drafting up a list once I'm done with actual work.

I did want to add that "word of mouth" isn't going to help much at this point. People don't remember URLs and/or they need to either find it themselves or have it drilled into them. When that article ran (ON THE FRONT PAGE FFS!), we hardly saw a jump in hits or new members.

A big key for us is to continue to participate, thus create content. My job is to find new ways to get that content out there and integrate it with other mediums - I have some ideas, but that'll be in the road map.

All Star
» Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:03 pm
JReed. You have the best Warriors site. I looked at the other one, Warriors World and it's barely readable and hard to navigate. Yet it has a lot of members. I don't see why they don't just come here. When I type in Warriors Forum, this is what I see.

You know the Warriors are supposed to be America's team. So you would expect a big forum. I don't think forums are dead. Why? Because look at all the other teams. They have big forums. So keep with this JReed, you will find a way to increase it. We'll keep throwing you ideas too if you want. Guys, Look at SpursTalk and ClutchFans and ClippersBuzz. Even Memphis and Utah has a decent sized forum. Most teams have decent sized forums. You see all kinds of fans. You see positive fans, you see fair weather fans, and you see fans that are much more negative than me.

And yet the Warriors are the biggest team, so I find it strange that there aren't a lot of forums. But somehow I feel that if you just keep this site up, only good can come from it. If you build it they will come. I believe in this site. I don't see how Warriors world or whatever will continue to thrive. I can barely read anything there. Some Spurs fans were saying they wanted to troll Warriors fans so bad, but the only site they knew about was Warriors world and they laughed at the format. I'm wondering why they knew about that one but not this one. This one looks more standard.

Hall of Famer
» Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:16 am
To be honest I'm not a user of these new social medias that have appeared over the last five to ten years, like Twitter. I don't even use Facebook much anymore, maybe checking it once a month or two. I like the traditional forum interaction.

The thing about a forum like this one that makes it attractive, to people who like to converse, is that you can talk about multiple subjects on various threads in the one forum, the one place. Again, I'm not a user of Twitter and the other mentioned social medias, so I don't know if that is possible with them as well, but it is one of the biggest reasons why I like a forum.

I think that advertising on free sites and places, even non internet places, would work, as it simply gets the word out there. I might search out some free sites where you can post a url for this forum and so forth. I know alot of places now forbid the posting of urls, seeing it as advertising and off topic, but I'll talk with the people in charge if need be just to see if they can help us out by allowing that.

The Warriors are the best team right now with all the success they've had these last two years so interest in them should be at a high.

I'll also start some topics that are interactive, like a Warriors quiz, by decade maybe, and maybe Redistribution of nba players draft and Legend's Draft, both have been done more than once on this forum the last ten years with good success.

I remember we only had about ten regular and often active members here some five years ago and there was much chatter, so it doesn't take alot of people to have a buzzing forum where you can talk nba and other topics even with people from all over the world.

Starting Lineup
» Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:05 pm
Unfortunately I don't have an ideas on how to improve numbers on the forum as this is the only sporting forum that I've been involved with. I thought that the Warriors entertaining play over the last few years would have attracted others to this site.

All Star
» Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:39 pm
Maybe by telling members from the other forum? We have THE BETTER FORUM. Sure, I wish there were more members, but this is my forum of choice.

Site Admin
» Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:59 pm
Thanks once again for the kind words stairway, but honestly, the internet is a weird place and those communities have been going strong for years, if not decades. Had the forum split never happened we'd probably still be one of those more prominent forums; Subtracting something like 25 of our 30 most active and loyal posters really hurt. Though that's not the blame for all of it...

I don’t really want to go into a lot of detail regarding the negatives or “why” this site isn’t taking off like one would think, partially because I want to look forward, not give any newcomers a bleak impression, pass blame, and because I think some of the more tangible reasons are obvious.

As I’ve mentioned, lately I've been too busy to make any upgrades/changes to the site, but I will as soon as I have time. Migs certainly has the right idea - creating new topics and generating discussion (mostly positive or neutral - too much negativity scares people away) is our best bet to improve activity. I've enrolled in ad programs, but that'll only generate so much traffic, and we'll have ads of our own (if you haven't noticed, the site is more robust, yet faster, despite having ads - that's because I'm simply paying for the server space out of pocket – I’m definitely not in this for the money, lol).

The other ideas I have hopefully will generate more clicks, but I’m still reluctant to rollout a road map until I can give them some more thought. I will say, “content is king” – we’ve mostly taken care of how it’s presented (though there’s a lot I can do there), and I really need to sit down and dig into our search engine optimization, but with how smart search engines are these days, that stuff doesn’t matter nearly as much as the content itself. Creating topics also creates new pages, those pages are indexed by Google, Bing, etc. and the title is typically what draws the audience in.

Overall, I think we’re gradually moving in the right direction, and there’s rarely a topic that isn’t replied to. We’ve got a solid core group of posters, and you guys truly make this place what it is.

All Star
» Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:32 pm
JReed, does this site have a twitter? I know you created a Facebook. I think that just putting out a few tweets a day could go a long way. I noticed other admins tweet a lot about basketball.

Site Admin
» Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:33 pm
Mr C actually made the FB account, i just maintain it (kinda), and actually I did make a Twitter account, I just had problems setting it up all the way until now - @GoldenDubForum.

Like i said, I want to integrate the site more on social media, even though I'm not too active in that area. Like having Twitter as a notification method, automatically tweeting a link to active/new topics daily, giving registered members with their twitter accounts linked the ability to post directly to game threads from Twitter, etc.

It's really just a matter of customizing phpBB's needlessly complicated and horribly documented code/API, and me finding time.

All Star
» Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:35 pm
I think you have the right idea

All Star
» Wed May 18, 2016 8:05 pm
Just wanted to say thats JREED has only been running the board for this season and I think he has done a great job of not only keeping it afloat but improving it. He has also told me some of his plans that he probably has not had time to disclose to everybody yet and if he gets the time to see them through it will make this the best board around. He knows not to put the horse before the cart so just be patient because it may not be the best to go overboard with promotion of the site before he gets a chance to implement his changes. Thanks for all the support guys and GO WARRIORS! :happy3:

Site Admin
» Wed May 18, 2016 8:30 pm
Thanks Mullin. Indeed, I have a lot of plans for this place. The next update I'm pushing live soon has mostly styling fixes and enhancements. Right now I'm keeping it simple and doing what I can with my grueling work schedule, so that's mostly been bug fixes - I didn't have time to test every page of every device/screen size so there's some obvious bugs (though I have a new tool for that), and unfortunately I'm implementing ads.

One reason this site has more complexities than your typical phpbb forum, yet is still faster than most, is because I've been paying out of pocket for a top-tier virtual private server.

On that note, I'm also gearing up to move the site again this off season to something more affordable and more powerful.

I've mentioned in the past that I'm hesitant to reveal the whole road map is because I don't want to give out all my secrets :wink: but you guys will start seeing some subtle, and not so subtle, changes soon.

I may get to the point where i start making poles to prioritize new features.

All Star
» Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm
JREED wrote:Thanks Mullin. Indeed, I have a lot of plans for this place. The next update I'm pushing live soon has mostly styling fixes and enhancements. Right now I'm keeping it simple and doing what I can with my grueling work schedule, so that's mostly been bug fixes - I didn't have time to test every page of every device/screen size so there's some obvious bugs (though I have a new tool for that), and unfortunately I'm implementing ads.

One reason this site has more complexities than your typical phpbb forum, yet is still faster than most, is because I've been paying out of pocket for a top-tier virtual private server.

On that note, I'm also gearing up to move the site again this off season to something more affordable and more powerful.

I've mentioned in the past that I'm hesitant to reveal the whole road map is because I don't want to give out all my secrets :wink: but you guys will start seeing some subtle, and not so subtle, changes soon.

I may get to the point where i start making poles to prioritize new features.

One other suggestion is to have multiple URLS and maybe a nickname? Btw, how is it in Eureka? I've always wanted to go up North.

Rookie
» Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 pm
Stairway Man wrote:JReed. You have the best Warriors site. I looked at the other one, Warriors World and it's barely readable and hard to navigate. Yet it has a lot of members. I don't see why they don't just come here. When I type in Warriors Forum, this is what I see.......

Yea, I really dislike warrior world's layout, yet they have the way more traffic than this forum, the Warriors sub-forum in RealGM(which I have been active in), and pretty much any other warriors forum on the internet.

You'd think people living in the tech capital of the world would make better choices. :mrgreen:
Though maybe that's why there's more warriors fans choosing social media to communicate, even though I do believe that passionate fans will always find a message board important as opposed to just tweeting/snapchatting and facebooking.
It might have been that new users just chose the forum with more active posters. Not sure what warrior worlds growth data has been the past few years.

IMO there definitely are enough Dubs fans to go around for more than just warriors world. For example cavs fans ( :evil: )pretty much have 2 or 3 forums with extremely high traffic.

Not sure how to increase traffic without spending money though.
Maybe get a exclusive/juicy live forum interview with a Warrior? (or curry's wife/draymond's mom) and let social media do the rest? haha.