How to get more members for this forum

Here you can chat about anything that's not Warriors related.

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

Site Admin
» Wed May 18, 2016 11:57 pm
jamesnamida wrote:
Stairway Man wrote:JReed. You have the best Warriors site. I looked at the other one, Warriors World and it's barely readable and hard to navigate. Yet it has a lot of members. I don't see why they don't just come here. When I type in Warriors Forum, this is what I see.......

Yea, I really dislike warrior world's layout, yet they have the way more traffic than this forum, the Warriors sub-forum in RealGM(which I have been active in), and pretty much any other warriors forum on the internet.

You'd think people living in the tech capital of the world would make better choices. :mrgreen:
Though maybe that's why there's more warriors fans choosing social media to communicate, even though I do believe that passionate fans will always find a message board important as opposed to just tweeting/snapchatting and facebooking.
It might have been that new users just chose the forum with more active posters. Not sure what warrior worlds growth data has been the past few years.

IMO there definitely are enough Dubs fans to go around for more than just warriors world. For example cavs fans ( :evil: )pretty much have 2 or 3 forums with extremely high traffic.

Not sure how to increase traffic without spending money though.
Maybe get a exclusive/juicy live forum interview with a Warrior? (or curry's wife/draymond's mom) and let social media do the rest? haha.

I completely agree that a forum is the only true way to have an organized, ongoing discussion, but the internet is a fickle place. Honestly, the biggest draw to a normal forum (unlike realGM or GSWSoM, which are a completely different corporate affairs) is an active community. Also given the sudden explotion of the Warriors popularity, there's no shortage of people to talk to about it - its not like bandwagonners are desperately trying to find someone to talk Dubs with.

Still, there's several things we, or I, could do to boost popularity, but as Mullin pointed out - I'd rather wait until I've got all my ducks in a row. First impressions have never been more important than they are online.

Hall of Famer
» Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 am
Setting up an interview with one of the team's players and posting the video here, as well as making it clear in a statement in that interview, like at the start and at the end, of the forum name and url. I don't live in Oakland otherwise I'd definitely be interested in trying to get such an interview organised so it is up to one or more of you guys to do it. It'd probably be real effective and probably get some coverage in some newspapers and social media places.

I have been a member of this forum for now over ten years and in all honesty, I have really enjoyed my time here. Some people may have left, and they were good when they were here and I personally hold no resentments, but the few people here are good conversation as well. I might actually sign up to some other Warriors forums and PM some people there about our forum, you never know if any or how many will come here and chat.

You have done well JREED and if you need any help with anything, say so on the forum and we'll try to help.

Hall of Famer
» Thu May 19, 2016 2:41 am
What I can see on Warriorsworld is some inclusion of podcasts. I think on the main page on here maybe there can be links to certain articles from the Bay Area, like from media sites and so forth, with the Headlines and perhaps the first line of the article or a one line summary. Something that is eye catching will be appealing. Maybe a return of the live chat that we had on the previous set out would be good too, though we rarely used it. During a playoff game for example it'd be real time posting in the chat feed. Maybe that'd take away from the concept of the forum but anyway. If there ends up being enough moderators here often enough, maybe a section on the main page with a Warriors trivia question everyday. That'd add interaction.

I do think interactive competitions, not for money but just games, like the Legends Draft, add to the ongoing interaction. Maybe it could get to the point where we could get sports journalists from the Bay Area to participate, even right an article about such games we have here. It could even get to the point where we play for prizes, even the participants putting in a small amount of cash (can become a deterent though as could be seen as like gambling but something small could be acceptable eventually) for a prize for the top 3, if there are a good number of participant, like 15 or more.

Just ideas that ca make the forum unique without being to time consuming for JREED and the moderators. It is ideas that make success.

All Star
» Thu May 19, 2016 8:12 am
Yes but its better to wait to promote the site until JREED gets some things going on it. If they see they site when with his plans implemented they are more likely to stay. If you promote it now they may stop by and just leave.

All Star
» Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 am
The goal is to get this site to become the primary Warriors forum, which I have faith it can. If you look at other teams, they all have a major forum. That includes even the Sacramento Kings who have a big forum. So the notion that everyone talks only on social media is false. In fact those people are just people who like to trash talks, mostly bandwagon fans. The real fans want to interact with real fans and so they go to the forums.

How is it up North, JReed?

Site Admin
» Sat May 21, 2016 3:04 pm
I'm not so sure the goal, or at least my goal, was ever to become the primary warriors forum/community. It actually was at one point, but then being the most popular forum for the NBA's laughingstock wasn't a huge deal.

I'm under no dilution that we'll ever be able to directly compete with Reddit, twitter, etc. But I also firmly believe we occupy an entirely different lane, and part of what make our lane unique is actually being a community - where we're not just names on the screen, but people that have formed actual relationships - IE: stairway and I always arguing over pessimism vs optomism, or guys like Migs, Pawno, 32, etc. all basically being day-ones that go way back.

I agree we have a lot of room to grow, but for the time being, I think we should focus on discussing the team, NBA, sports, and things in general. I'm a broken record, but content is was drives participation and "hits" and our content is you guys. With that said, I'm going to move this thread to the Off Topic forum as having a "How do we get more members" thread probably isn't encouraging to prospective members.

@stairway, meh, Eureka is Eureka. Small city, not much to do outside of nature, but if you like that then Humboldt is a utopia. Biggest trees in the world, nice parks, lots of rivers, beaches, etc. I've grown a little apathetic towards all that since I grew up with it all in my backyard.

Hall of Famer
» Sat May 21, 2016 11:05 pm
Don't you think this thread should remain in the main forum JREED.

All Star
» Mon May 23, 2016 8:44 pm
JREED wrote:
@stairway, meh, Eureka is Eureka. Small city, not much to do outside of nature, but if you like that then Humboldt is a utopia. Biggest trees in the world, nice parks, lots of rivers, beaches, etc. I've grown a little apathetic towards all that since I grew up with it all in my backyard.

That sounds like a lot. For someone just visiting for a short time for that, I can see how that would be fun. I like hiking, cycling and nature, and getting away sometimes. Love the city too, but love to balance it out. The images online look amazing.