Sjax and Maggette for Joe Johnson

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:43 pm
I’m giving on the prospects of getting a big name PF type like Amare or Bosh. Once we get them, I just don’t think they’d resign with us. Amare has almost already said that, and our loss against Phoenix probably didn’t help our image in his detached eyes.

Let’s go for a second tier free agent, whose might be a first tier in a normal free agent off season. A guy who hasn’t gotten so use to winning ( at least yet ) that he would give us the finger in the off season. Such a player is Joe Johnson. He’s got a well rounded game, he can get assists and rebounds and is a year in and out 22 point scorer with good defense. He’s a 2 guard who could be a 3, and would be a good match for us. His contract expires at the end of the season.. The Hawks are strong in the front court with Horford, the next all nba center of the future and Josh Smith, as a tandem. They are both great shot blockers and figure to only score more in the future. What they lack is backcourt depth.

We trade Jackson and Maggette for Johnson and get rid of our 2 costly veterans. Why would Atlanta do it? As it is they are sure to make the playoffs and stumble by the second round. The Hawks are already over the salary cap, The front office has been cool toward Johnson. They face the prospect of losing Johnson in the off season. The added depth of 2 veterans to balance out their young frontcourt, should look good to them. It can be argued they would do much better trading with us than taking their chances and signing a free agent in the offseason. They would look like this:
Bibby/Teague
Jackson/ Crawford
M. Williams/ Maggette
Josh Smith/ Joe Smith
Horford/ Pachulia/Collins

We could look like this:
Curry/ CJ/ Law
Monta/ Morrow
Johnson/Az
Randolph/ Wright/Moore?
Biedrins/Turiaf

Only a year ago, we were faced with way too many 2’s and 3’s ( a problem we still have ! ) and very little front court strength. We now have Randolph emerging and in the future can at least hope to compete in the front court with most teams; The Hawks were just the opposite, now we give them the veteran strength they need. We get rid of our veteran ball hogs, and dedicate ourselves to developing our young players, and for those run and gun proponents, we will be as fast as ever! With the future development of Az and Morrow, and Johnson ‘s ability at the 2 . We could eventually render Monta expendable in another big trade.
War Years
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:14 am
love the effort, but Atlanta would laugh in our faces. then send "hahahahahah" in a text

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 am
Quazza wrote:love the effort, but Atlanta would laugh in our faces. then send "hahahahahah" in a text

At this point, you 're probably right but with a key injury and a disappointing first half, and with the prospect of losing Johnson. They might be more likely.

Jackson had as good a year as Johnson last year. He actually finished higher in efficiency rating. The difference though, is Jack was having a career year and Johnson was having a so-so year. It's too bad that moron made himself damaged goods with his mouth!

It is in part, the type of team we are that makes Jackson and Maggette so toxic. We need to move the ball around, even more now that we have Curry. Other teams can take chuckers like Sjax if they have solid front court players with high shooting %'s. ( which Atlanta does)

I think Jack, back in Dixie, fits in good with them. They need some superficial swagger. Maggette's ability to draw fouls is potentially an asset to any team.
War Years
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:14 pm
War Years wrote:
Quazza wrote:love the effort, but Atlanta would laugh in our faces. then send "hahahahahah" in a text

At this point, you 're probably right but with a key injury and a disappointing first half, and with the prospect of losing Johnson. They might be more likely.

Jackson had as good a year as Johnson last year. He actually finished higher in efficiency rating. The difference though, is Jack was having a career year and Johnson was having a so-so year. It's too bad that moron made himself damaged goods with his mouth!

It is in part, the type of team we are that makes Jackson and Maggette so toxic. We need to move the ball around, even more now that we have Curry. Other teams can take chuckers like Sjax if they have solid front court players with high shooting %'s. ( which Atlanta does)

I think Jack, back in Dixie, fits in good with them. They need some superficial swagger. Maggette's ability to draw fouls is potentially an asset to any team.

I think you need to realize that the Hawks dont want to take on 2 horrible long term contracts. I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to do it for the talent but, taking on both Magettes and Jacksons contracts would mean that they will commit to paying two 30+ year old players 17 mil for the next 4 years. Thats where this trade becomes laughable for ATL.
All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:05 pm
metalface wrote:
War Years wrote:

I think you need to realize that the Hawks dont want to take on 2 horrible long term contracts. I wouldnt be surprised if they wanted to do it for the talent but, taking on both Magettes and Jacksons contracts would mean that they will commit to paying two 30+ year old players 17 mil for the next 4 years. Thats where this trade becomes laughable for ATL.

I will be impressed if we can move one of those large contracts, let alone both, let alone both simultaneously.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:07 am
first off wrote:
metalface wrote:
War Years wrote:

I will be impressed if we can move one of those large contracts, let alone both, let alone both simultaneously.

First off, First Off, I agree completely with your response to that Carlgo post. We can't depend on trying to always outdizzy our opponents.

I do realize the contract obligations, Metal Face. I know at this time, with a good start. The Hawks would not be interested.

However, At the end of this season, the Hawks are pretty locked in except for one large expiring contract, Johnson's 14 million. I know there's been lots of talk about the free agent bonanza of 2010, but is it really a bonanza if a lot of other teams with larger payrolls are already preparing for it?

I think a strategy of entering that high stakes sweepstake for a superstar could easily backfire for us as well as the Hawks. If they don't want to or can't resign Johnson. As the trade deadline comes up, and they see what's going to be available, they may find it more prudent to lock into 2 smaller contracts of solid, established veterans, than pursue a large contract superstar they may not get. I know that's not the common thinking.

If Sjax and Magg's contracts are so toxic. It's not like there aren't dozens of other contracts that aren't as toxic. I think you got to ask, will there really be a 15 million dollar superstar Atlanta can COUNT on to fill Johnson's place?
War Years

Return to Trades