Kick Kosta to the curb, sign Francisco Elson

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Location: Sitting on the dock of the bay, watchin the warriors roll away
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:29 pm
Hopefully this isn't as ridiculous as some of my other trade ideas

I've been questioning Ronnie as a backup center for a while. He got murdered by the likes of Duncan and Garnet during the post season. We all know hes got heart but his arms just aren't long enough to be effective against the really big centers of the nba.

on Elson
was on the spurs for a while and did some good things for them... he's 7'0" ~235lbs, Old (32) but he can run much better than Kosta and he's an unrestricted free agent - i say throw the rest of our cash at him before luxury tax, and hope it sticks. That would give us a little veteran toughness down low and someone who can actually run and jump thats 7'. if Biedrins gets in foul trouble and were facing Orlando he'd be a great backup. plus that would mean Biedrin's could be free to try to block more shots knowing there are 1.75 (turiaf being the .75) legit backups behind him. Basically he'd be our P.J. Brown.

We have depth up top at the 1,2,3; this move would give us depth at the 4 and 5. Turiaf is a better power forward than a center. like If were going against the spurs. then go

PF: Al/Turiaf
C: Biedrins/Elson

Seattle already has three centers, give us one.

Ellis/Williams/Watson
Jackson/Belinelli/Morrow
Maggette/Azubukie/Randolph
Harrington/Wright/Hendrix
Biedrins/Turiaf/Elson

Espn says he was getting 3 mill from seattle... I don't know if what we can offer him is enough (4mill)

We'd have exactly $4,104,240 after booting Kosta btw

You might say we should load up on vet's when were making a legit stab at the playoffs, but i dunno, maybe there won't be any Elson's available when we are ready in a few years. also Seattle is going no where fast and elson could have a chance to join a rising power in the west.

What do you think?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaENn-7t_hk
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:34 pm
I was looking around, and there are a ton of free agent centers on the market right now. Pretty much all of them are back-ups but the point is this: supply and demand. Buy when supply is high and demand is low. sell when its the other way around.

although maybe I don't know enough about b-ball dollars and cents yet- is it like this every year?
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:02 pm
We are over the salary cap, meaning we can't sign free agents from other teams, only resign players from our own team (eg. Monta, Biedrins).
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:12 pm
Oklahoma City signed him like a month ago.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm
the games geting faster so the demand for slow plodding 7footers is decreasing
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 pm
JayPat wrote:We are over the salary cap, meaning we can't sign free agents from other teams, only resign players from our own team (eg. Monta, Biedrins).

We have out mid-level exception and bi-annual exception to be used on outside free agents but we wont be using our mid-level as that would put us over the luxury tax.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:37 pm
this is just dumb, turiaf is much better than elson.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:39 pm
jimbob631 wrote:this is just dumb, turiaf is much better than elson.

Yeah I know Turiaf is much better than Elson... that's why he'd be 3rd on the Roster!

we're paying Kosta 3 million over 2 years! that's dumb!

anywho It doesn't really matter now cause I saw that Elson was picked up by some other team

question for bada though on the whole MLE / lux tax: so am I to understand that we'd HAVE to give players exactly the MLE ($5.something Million) in order for it to work? or can you offer less?

I guess my question is "can we offer anything up to the Mid Level, or does it specifically have to be that ML number and nothing else?"
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:01 pm
actually nevermind re-read that salary cap FAQ posted in the warriors salary cap thread in the warriors basketball forum.

fyi:

MID-LEVEL SALARY EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team to sign any free agent to a contract equal to the average salary, even if they are over the cap (see question number 24 for the definition of "average salary." Also note that for 2005-06 they used a defined figure of $5 million). This exception may be split and given to multiple players. It may be used for contracts of up to five years in length, and raises are limited to 8% of the salary in the first year of the contract. Signing a player to a multi-year contract does not affect a team's ability to use this exception every year. For example, a team can sign a player to a five-year contract using this exception and still use the exception the following year to sign another player. Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.

If the player is a restricted free agent with one or two years of service and receives an offer sheet from a new team, the player's prior team may use the Mid-Level exception to match the offer sheet (see question number 36 for restricted free agency).

Here are the actual values of this exception for each season. Note that since this exception is based on the average player salary, the actual value of this exception is not determined until the start of the free agent signing period.

2005-06 $5 million
2006-07 $5.215 million
2007-08 $5.356 million
2008-09 $5.585 million

BI-ANNUAL EXCEPTION -- This exception was previously named the "$1 Million exception" (perhaps "misnamed" is more appropriate, since it was only valued at $1 million in 1998-99). It may be used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at the following amounts:

2005-06 $1.67 million
2006-07 $1.75 million
2007-08 $1.83 million
2008-09 $1.91 million
2009-10 $1.99 million
2010-11 $2.08 million
2011-12 $2.18 million

This exception may not be used two years in a row (and if the $1 Million exception was used in 2004-05, the Bi-Annual exception may not be used in 2005-06). It may be split and given to more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8%. Also see question number 20 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.
U-Dough, the BAKER®

Play nice you two

Return to Trades