NY Deal 2

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:59 am
Any chance we can take Marbury off New York's hands for picks? Do we have that kind of extra cap space? I am kinda not seeing us really getting a good pickup in free agency this year and I'd hate to overpay for someone just because we have the cash.

Not that I want Marbury at all. In fact I would think we'd buy him out but I'd like to see our capspace used sensibly. Maybe there are other expirings.

Even though there's really very little basketball-wise in this for NY there is some 40 mill luxury tax savings and that might mean something.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:10 pm
cladden wrote:Any chance we can take Marbury off New York's hands for picks? Do we have that kind of extra cap space? I am kinda not seeing us really getting a good pickup in free agency this year and I'd hate to overpay for someone just because we have the cash.

Not that I want Marbury at all. In fact I would think we'd buy him out but I'd like to see our capspace used sensibly. Maybe there are other expirings.

Even though there's really very little basketball-wise in this for NY there is some 40 mill luxury tax savings and that might mean something.
I don't think there is, but even if we could get him I wouldn't want him.
I like pie

All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:59 pm
Why would we help New York clear cap space so they can get LeBron to play there in the big city.... I want LeBron to come to the YAY AREA!!! :-o
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:16 pm
How is giving up picks to get Marbury (an awful deal in the first place) taking on his ludicrous 19 mil............to then waive him.............a good use of our cap space?

That is insane............you must have meant something different right? :shock:.............not like you Clad, 4th of July hangover??? :wink:
Last edited by bigstrads on Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:18 pm
J-Rich wrote:Why would we help New York clear cap space so they can get LeBron to play there in the big city.... I want LeBron to come to the YAY AREA!!! :-o

Marbury expires a full year before LeBron so this has no bearing on that. Sure I'd take LeBron too but face it, the Nets are making all the right moves and Jay Z is just so much cooler than Cohan to hang out with and have your picture taken with.

I just want to help New York's owner save some money and take back some picks. If money (as in, not cap-space) wasn't an issue this would be a terrible trade for NY. The only thing they get out of it is a trade exception they won't use and some savings in terms of less luxury tax. For us it would mean a pick from the possibly worst team in the league who might also tank while they set themselves up for LeBron.
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:20 pm
rebel wrote:
cladden wrote:Any chance we can take Marbury off New York's hands for picks? Do we have that kind of extra cap space? I am kinda not seeing us really getting a good pickup in free agency this year and I'd hate to overpay for someone just because we have the cash.

I don't think there is, but even if we could get him I wouldn't want him.

I don't want him either. I want their picks, and I want something for this capspace. I am perfectly fine with losing Baron for nothing if we can use the cap-space for anything. Otherwise it kinda sucks.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:21 pm
There is probably no chance of this idea happening anyways.
I like pie
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:26 pm
bigstrads wrote:How is giving up picks to get Marbury (an awful deal in the first place) taking on his ludicrous 19 mil............to then waive him.............a good use of our cap space?

That is insane............you must have meant something different right? :shock:.............not like you Clad, 4th of July hangover??? :wink:

We're getting picks, not giving them up. No hangover :-)

I realize how I might have worded this better. Something along the lines of the Kurt Thomas to the Sonics deal.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:30 pm
I see where you are coming from, but I don't think we will take player that makes it so we can't get smith or elton just for picks, it won't happen
I like pie
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:39 pm
cladden wrote:
bigstrads wrote:How is giving up picks to get Marbury (an awful deal in the first place) taking on his ludicrous 19 mil............to then waive him.............a good use of our cap space?

I realize how I might have worded this better. Something along the lines of the Kurt Thomas to the Sonics deal.

Ok.............so the Knicks would give us Marbury and picks for cap relief?..........Im not sure they are that desperate when his deal runs out next year.

Also, still............why would want to burden ourselves with a 19 mil contract for the next year, when we have 20 mil available now, and would waste it all on him, not be able to sign a single player more (apart from MLE and vets min) and have 7 players on our roster............just for picks?
All Star
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:27 pm
bigstrads wrote:
cladden wrote:

Ok.............so the Knicks would give us Marbury and picks for cap relief?..........Im not sure they are that desperate when his deal runs out next year.

Also, still............why would want to burden ourselves with a 19 mil contract for the next year, when we have 20 mil available now, and would waste it all on him, not be able to sign a single player more (apart from MLE and vets min) and have 7 players on our roster............just for picks?

Because there's noone out there we need that we can get. We're rebuilding around our awesome young core. Time to give them the keys and let them bang the car up a little.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:25 pm
cladden wrote:
bigstrads wrote:
cladden wrote:

Because there's noone out there we need that we can get. We're rebuilding around our awesome young core. Time to give them the keys and let them bang the car up a little.

I agree there isnt much real talent out there that we can realistically get............but blowing our entire cap space on one guy, that we will waive, when we have like 6 players on our roster..........is really not a good idea you know. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:40 pm
Marbury is in the process of being waived.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors

Return to Trades