nuggets

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:42 am
TMC wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:TMC, I am with you bro. I have stated it for weeks... Kurt Thomas is exactly who we need if we have any chance at making a run. He would most likely be a half year rental.

If we dont get a defensive, rebounding post player, we just can not match up with several teams in the West.

Yeah, it's not a sexy trade, but would help a lot. And, being a expirer, Seattle can't ask for much. Worth a try, I guess...

I think you undervalue Barnes's importance. I don't see Kurt being able to help us as much as Barnes does. We can't just sign a big 4 and think that we can play the same style. Would Kurt thomas scramble out at outside shooters in the zone? We'd have to change our entire defensive setup. We're not a traditional big away from anything unless we make defensive changes to go with it. Personally I don't want that because I think a lot of our players are good defenders in this style but wouldn't be in different types of play. Also we switch on everything and Kurt Thomas couldn't guard a 1, 2 or 3 to save his life. Are we talking to spell Biedrins or play at the 4?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:03 pm
Barnes could not even guard Tyrus Thomas. KT could guard the opposing teams post threat. He is an extremely skilled post defender able to defends 5's and 4's. He is STRONG and is a bit NASTY. He has played a TON of playoff basketball and is a smart player. His experience and defensive and rebounding abilities in the post give us something we NEED and dont have. I am not saying KT plays 30 min/game or anything. And there are probably some matchups where he is not even needed.

But do you think we even stand a chance against Utah or the Spurs without a KT type? Or how about the Suns with Shaq now. We need that element on our team. Even if he hardly plays against some teams... we need THAT type of guy on our roster.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:50 pm
Well, I was gonna answer but...

badabing8888 wrote:Barnes could not even guard Tyrus Thomas. KT could guard the opposing teams post threat. He is an extremely skilled post defender able to defends 5's and 4's. He is STRONG and is a bit NASTY. He has played a TON of playoff basketball and is a smart player. His experience and defensive and rebounding abilities in the post give us something we NEED and dont have. I am not saying KT plays 30 min/game or anything. And there are probably some matchups where he is not even needed.

But do you think we even stand a chance against Utah or the Spurs without a KT type? Or how about the Suns with Shaq now. We need that element on our team. Even if he hardly plays against some teams... we need THAT type of guy on our roster.

... bada did it perfectly. Nothing else to say.

Well, yeah... I don't think we'd miss Barnes that much. Not having him might mean more workload for Al Harrington, something I'm sure he can do, and we have nobody that can play like Kurt Thomas does. Also, we lose a "enforcer" of shorts on Barnes, but we get another one in KT.
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:05 pm
TMC wrote:Well, I was gonna answer but...

badabing8888 wrote:Barnes could not even guard Tyrus Thomas. KT could guard the opposing teams post threat. He is an extremely skilled post defender able to defends 5's and 4's. He is STRONG and is a bit NASTY. He has played a TON of playoff basketball and is a smart player. His experience and defensive and rebounding abilities in the post give us something we NEED and dont have. I am not saying KT plays 30 min/game or anything. And there are probably some matchups where he is not even needed.

Well, yeah... I don't think we'd miss Barnes that much. Not having him might mean more workload for Al Harrington, something I'm sure he can do, and we have nobody that can play like Kurt Thomas does. Also, we lose a "enforcer" of shorts on Barnes, but we get another one in KT.

I maintain that we could not have Biedrins and Thomas on the floor at the same time with our current defensive scheme.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:02 pm
cladden wrote:
TMC wrote:Well, I was gonna answer but...

I maintain that we could not have Biedrins and Thomas on the floor at the same time with our current defensive scheme.

Why would we have to? KT plays 4 and 5
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:43 am
cladden wrote:I maintain that we could not have Biedrins and Thomas on the floor at the same time with our current defensive scheme.

Maybe. But there are options. Either the team adapting to a more classical scheme with KT at the 4 and Beans at the 5 (although it's not easy to envision Nellie doing that)... or, simply, just play the one who's doing better.

I'd rather have KT than Webber as Beans backup. That's for sure. And I also think Al Harrington is being underused by Nellie...
Previous

Return to Trades