artest to keep up with the lakeshow....

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:55 am
our team is already young...we've been "rebuilding" for the past 14 years...why do we need to keep drafting? id understand if there was an extremely deep draft like this past year, but that's not the case this year and doesnt seem to be the case next year. theres no reason we should keep the draft pick if it could help us become title contenders (which i honestly think we would be if we got artest)
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 am
cladden wrote:I'd pay Pietrus and POB for half a year of Artest but there's no way I am giving two first rounders for it. Not even one.

Same here. I understand your point of view, EMan, but Artest alone won't be enough to be a title contender (although we'd be a much tougher team, but still short on talent inside, and that's what wins on the playoffs).

If he were willing to commit to an extension with us, I'd do it without thinking twice. But if he's going to bolt at the end of the year, I wouldn't trade a first rounder for him. Maybe a second or two, but not first rounders.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:45 pm
i think you guys might be overrating the first round picks a bit. we already have a good young core that has yet to develop into their full potential (monta, buike, wright, biedrins). what, we cant miss out on the first round of one draft? the way our team is playing, fighting for the playoffs, and where our pick would be, the draft pick is basically a hopeful. we'll hope that he can be good, much like we did with POB, diogu, and biedrins (who thankfully worked out). and those were our lottery picks from the past 4 years. theres still hoping that belinelli becomes good.

the way i think about it is if we get artest, who can beat us? now going thru the teams in the west: kings, sonics, twolves, grizzlies, mavericks, rockets, suns, clippers, nuggets, blazers, hornets...none of these teams would beat us in a series.

other teams: lakers, spurs, jazz. these are the only teams i would have questions about if we were to meet them in the playoffs.
-we've been able to beat the spurs so far this year and artest would make us better. as far as a playoff series they could still give us trouble but with the addition of artests defense our chances increase.
-the lakers are there because with pau, bynum, and odom being probably the best front court in the game since the celtics big 3 of the 80's, they will be trouble. the only thing would be to see how bynum and pau co-exist.
-and the reason i have the jazz there is because boozer would still be capable of putting up big numbers. with artest our defense becomes elite, but not sure artests toughness could match the strength and width of boozer, although it could be good to see how nellie would match that up. i could have easily put the jazz on the list of teams that wouldnt beat us in a series if we got artest, as boozer can go off, but everyone else would be shut down.

if narrowing us down to the top 3-4 teams in the west's playoffs doesnt make us contenders then, damn.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:02 pm
EMan32 wrote:i think you guys might be overrating the first round picks a bit.

Not really. What we don't like is the idea of trading those picks for 4 months of Arterst. If he were willing to stay with the Dubs, I'd gladly trade those picks for him.

As for being contenders... I don't think that adding Artest would make us contnders in the west. The only contenders would be the Lakers and Spurs (and Suns, if the Shaq trade goes as they expect... which is doubtful). I don't even count the Jazz as contenders.

Other than those two, I think we would have a chance to beat any other team in the west (and everybody except Boston in the east), but that's not good enough to be a title contender. More like pretenders. :wink:

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:12 pm
TMC wrote:As for being contenders... I don't think that adding Artest would make us contnders in the west. The only contenders would be the Lakers and Spurs (and Suns, if the Shaq trade goes as they expect... which is doubtful). I don't even count the Jazz as contenders.

Other than those two, I think we would have a chance to beat any other team in the west (and everybody except Boston in the east), but that's not good enough to be a title contender. More like pretenders. :wink:

i dont consider the jazz contenders either...i put them on the list of teams that could potentially stop us, thats all. as for the lakers and spurs being the only contenders, i cant argue that..but i honestly think that if we got artest we would be too. of course we'd have (to an extent) a lesser chance than those other two teams, but i still think we'd be contenders.

TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:i think you guys might be overrating the first round picks a bit.

Not really. What we don't like is the idea of trading those picks for 4 months of Arterst. If he were willing to stay with the Dubs, I'd gladly trade those picks for him.

i could understand that. definitely wont argue it since artest opting out is certainly an option for him. i just think that if the warriors got to the playoffs with him, he'd choose to stay and develop a chemistry with the team in order to become a championship caliber team. maybe 2 first rounders is a bit much and i just got caught up in the idea of having one of my favorite players playing for my favorite team....but i certainly dont think that one first rounder is too much.

Previous

Return to Trades