Now who?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

What position is the Warriors biggest need?

Center
6
60%
Power Forward
1
10%
Small Forward
1
10%
Shooting Guard
0
No votes
Point Guard
2
20%
 
Total votes : 10

User avatar
Franchise Player
Posts: 5756
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:40 am
Location: On the couch watching sports
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:16 pm
With the latest addition of Chris Webber, and with CJ Watson getting his season-long contract, there, if all goes well, goes two big needs that they have: interior play and a backup point guard. I saw you guys talking about it in another thread, and I want to keep this in one, so I dont have to read ten different threads about the same thing. Back on topic now... Now the question that I am wondering is "Now who?" Hopefully, Pietrus will go. Lets start there.

What position do you think their biggest need is? Who do you think could help us the most? Who would you give up?

I will start out by saying that though Webber is a good player, he isnt going to get a whole lot of rebounds for us, especially in limited time. I would like to see them go after a good backup center who can run and grab us some rebounds... thoughts?
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 13531
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:03 pm
Location: Golden State
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:32 pm
Its still center. By far.

Nelson can use Webber in a center role, but lets not start fooling ourselves into believing he's anything other than a PF. Hell, even our starting center is a natural PF. The only real center on our roster is Patrick O'Bryant. Webber, Harrington, and Biedrins are natural 4's... and Kosta seems to be a 3/4 tweener, despite his monstrous size.
Image
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Image
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:40 pm
Yeah, backup center. Webber will play there, but that doesn't chance the fact that we're thin at that position.

That doesn't mean we're gonna improve at all, as the guys we'd like to trade are not good enough to get us a good backup center... It won't be easy, but we should focus on that position.

And, if not, I'd be happy getting a pick for Pietrus.

All Star
Posts: 2742
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: surviving in your world
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:40 pm
i think webber is good for this season only and we still have to have a longer term solution

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 pm
i think a backup point guard is needed. someone nellie trusts handling the ball. sure watson could do it, but with watson in and baron out that means that jax has to be on the floor. if jackson sits then baron has to be out on the floor. while cj can handle the ball and create for others, nellie doesnt trust him enough to rest both baron and jax at the same time. until we get someone that nellie could trust while baron and jax could both sit, baron will be playing 40 minutes a game (it would be good if that guy could be monta, but even he needs to rest as he's been playing around 40 minutes a game as well).
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:36 am
EMan32 wrote:i think a backup point guard is needed. someone nellie trusts handling the ball. sure watson could do it, but with watson in and baron out that means that jax has to be on the floor. if jackson sits then baron has to be out on the floor. while cj can handle the ball and create for others, nellie doesnt trust him enough to rest both baron and jax at the same time. until we get someone that nellie could trust while baron and jax could both sit, baron will be playing 40 minutes a game (it would be good if that guy could be monta, but even he needs to rest as he's been playing around 40 minutes a game as well).


Then why keep Watson?. I mean, the kid looks good and all, but if we sign another PG, he's not gonna play a single minute. It would be a waste of money and a roster spot.

All Star
Posts: 3317
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:33 pm
Location: the STACK
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:24 pm
TMC wrote:
EMan32 wrote:i think a backup point guard is needed. someone nellie trusts handling the ball. sure watson could do it, but with watson in and baron out that means that jax has to be on the floor. if jackson sits then baron has to be out on the floor. while cj can handle the ball and create for others, nellie doesnt trust him enough to rest both baron and jax at the same time. until we get someone that nellie could trust while baron and jax could both sit, baron will be playing 40 minutes a game (it would be good if that guy could be monta, but even he needs to rest as he's been playing around 40 minutes a game as well).


Then why keep Watson?. I mean, the kid looks good and all, but if we sign another PG, he's not gonna play a single minute. It would be a waste of money and a roster spot.


in essence he'll be paying shooting guard next to payton. on paper it will be watson at point and payton at SG, but payton will do more of the handling. watson can be more of a monta type player, with the difference being that he can create for others well (which is where monta is slowly growing). my reply to the topic of this thread is more for this year. if we're talking future, then yeah we need a big man, either a center or power forward. but as far as this year goes, we dont need another big man to clog up the middle.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
Posts: 18461
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:48 am
Location: Somewhere in this site...
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:15 pm
EMan32 wrote:in essence he'll be paying shooting guard next to payton. on paper it will be watson at point and payton at SG


That means Azu would play more SF (or lose minutes), Barnes almost exclusively PF and Webber would play most of his minutes at center, unless he beats Al for the starting spot.

I don't know... it's hard to tell at this point, before knowing what Webber will add. If he's still able to make a difference, then we're good enough inside for this year. If not, that's were we should focus.

As for PG... I think that if we sign Payton (or anybody else), he's gonna play PG in detriment of Watson.

Return to Trades

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron