Deadline Deals That Actually Make Sense

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 am
With so many lame trade ideas diseasing this section lately, I felt the need to create a thread where legit deals can be reviewed and talked about. Unlike many others, these trades don't feature big name superstars, don't involve us foolishly trading half our team's core midseason for a quick fix, and make sense for both sides. So, without further adu, here are a few deals I believe we'd bennefit from at the trade deadline:

Warriors trade (G) Mickael Pietrus to the Dallas Mavericks for (F) Brandan Bass and (F) Devean George

Why We'd Do It: Obviously, the meat of this deal for Golden State is Brandan Bass; an undersized power forward that can grab rebounds, score inside, and keep up in Nellie's small ball scheme. Bass would have to make major adjustments, including playing a fair bit at center, to survive in Nelson's rotation, but a player of his caliber would be gravy in exchange for Pietrus. Devean George would likely play a sparing role off the bench, where his biggest minutes come at the end of the 4th quarter. While most fans would prefer to see Brandan Wright get more backup 4 minutes, it's clear that Nelson has no interest in that this year, so the prudent move would be to move Pietrus for a backup PF that can contribute now.

Why They'd Do It: Dallas has had their eye on Pietrus for the past few offseasons. Like Miami, they seem to believe he can thrive when given starter's minutes and would gladly add a legit swingman to their lineup, to start at SG over undersized options like Jason Terry or aging veterans, like Jerry Stackhouse. Pietrus would most likely put up better numbers in Dallas, as he'd be moving back to his natural SG position and most likely never attempt playing PF again. Dallas is set up front, with Dirk Nowitski as their PF for the next 10 years, not to mention Dampier and Diop holding down the center spot, so they'd gladly give up a big like Bass to obtain a swingman like Pietrus, who can run, shoot, and rebound.

Warriors trade (C) Patrick O'Bryant to the Memphis Grizzlies for (F) Hakim Warrick and (F) Casey Jacobsen

Why We'd Do It: The Warriors obtain another athletic big man in Warrick, who'd become Harrington's usual backup. As with the Brandan Bass trade above, this will only be possible if Don Nelson has truly reconciled himself to not playing Brandan Wright this season. If Nellie needs a backup big at the deadline, Hakim Warrick is a viable option. And Patrick O'Bryant is a price the Warriors will pay.

Why They'd Do It: Two years into his career and it's clear that Don Nelson still has no future plans involving a center project like Patrick O'Bryant. Therefore, Mully & Company deal the Chef to Memphis, where he can play backup minutes to Darko Milicic (another project) and prove his worth. I'm of a mind that he'd eventually replace Darko as a starter and become Memphis' compliment to Pau Gasol. As with Biedrins early in his career, O'Bryant's achillies heel has been foul trouble. With playing time, he could shave that problem and become a breakout 5 by the end of the year.

Warriors trade (C) Patrick O'Bryant, (C) Kosta Perovic, and (G) Mickael Pietrus to the Miami HEAT for (C) Mark Blount

Why We'd Do It: With Nelson refusing to play youngster like O'Bryant and Perovic, Golden State has become desperate for another frontcourt player than can contribute now, as midseason fatigue seems to be setting into frontcourt players Andris Biedrins and Al Harrington. Enter Blount, admittedly overpaid, but capable of rebounding, scoring inside, and blocking shots. He would be able to contribute right away, including during the post season when the Warriors might be in need of a legit 7-footer to put a body on bruisers like Carlos Boozer. His laughable contract would probably mean losing Kelenna Azuibuke or Matt Barnes via free agency, but if the Warriors are desperate enough, they'll take the deal.

Why They'd Do It: Blount has a monster contract that the HEAT had to take on to aquire Ricky Davis. They never had any interest in him, he's currently roadblocked behind Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning, and he's honestly not that great of a player to begin with. If the HEAT could manage to aquire three young, potentially talented individuals in Pietrus, O'Bryant, and Perovic, I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about it. O'Bryant would replace Blount in the rotation and the HEAT would swing Mickael Pietrus, whom they've coveted since the summer. The trade would help Miami more than Golden State, but the Warriors need help up front and have, seemingly, given up on Pietrus, so this deal is more attractive than it sounds.

Warriors trade (G) Mickael Pietrus to the Milwaukee Bucks for (F) Charlie Villanueva and (G) Ramon Sessions

Why We'd Do It: Honestly, I don't know. The Bucks offered us Charlie, but he looked like crap when we played them and, honestly, I don't think he's that great of a prospect to begin with. When both Toronto and Milwaukee put the same guy on the trading block in the span of 2 years, something's wrong with him. I know all we're giving up is Pietrus, but still...

Why They'd Do It: Honestly, I don't know. Pietrus is garbage and I'm surprised that any team is still intrigued by him. For some reason, the Bucks wanna get rid of Charlie, but shuffling Pietrus and Villanueva is like trading a pot for a kettle at this point. One's bigger, one can jump higher and run faster.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -5
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:56 am
1 - Pietrus for Bass and George.

Although a sound trade, I dont think they would go for it as they seem to be getting happier with Bass lately and George is a good compliment vet for there team.

2 - POB for Warrick and Jacobson

Nice, like it, not sure Memphis would want POB though. They play (or at least want to) up tempo, so POB is not a great fit for them, whereas Warrick is..........is Jacobson still in the league??? last time I noticed him he was with Suns and was cut.

3 - Pietrus, POB and Kosta for Blount.

Dont like this one to be honest, Blount's ridiculous contract makes him look even worse than he is.........and I think he is soft and wouldnt be able to cope with our tempo, hed be Foyle 2.

4 - Pietrus for Villanueva

This ones been banded about before...............and I like it. I think Villanueva needs the right system (why hes not been rather succesful and put on the block) and think ours is it, he can run, is a good weak side shot blocker/help defender, can shoot and is long..........this is the one.

Overall, the most realistic suggestions for a long time on this board, nice to have someone with common sense post on here for a change.............Id pull the Pietrus for Villaneuva and POB for Warrick.........ohh that makes us damn goooooooood.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 pm
1 - Pietrus for Bass and George.

Doubt Dallas will go for this one. I mean, Bass is playing well coming from the bench, and adds a different, much needed, skillset to Dallas.

If it were, say, Juwan Howard and George for Pietrus, I think they'd do it. Would we?

2 - POB for Warrick and Jacobson

Depends on Memphis' interest on POB. Might be feasible...

3 - Pietrus, POB and Kosta for Blount.

Blount's contract is awful (for his production). Forget it. Miami would love it, tho...

4 - Pietrus for Villanueva

I can't understand why Milwaukee would do this trade, but hey, if they're willing to do it, we can't pull the trigger fast enough.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:27 pm
Mark Blount is easily overpaid. I admitted that when coming up with the trade idea.

The thing is, we currently have a $10 million TE sitting around (and we just let a $2 million TE expire). The Warriors, while obviously in need of some resigns, are not hurting for money and Blount addresses a big issue. Andris Biedrins has looked downright tired lately and I'm, personally, sick of watching Al Harrington and Austin Crosshere get muscled around by guys 3 inches taller. Blount is a legit 7-footer, who averaged 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 1 block next to Garnett last season (including a nice month of January, where he averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds). He can obviously score. He can shoot 50% from the field. He can hit his free throws. And he's a big body.

To top it off, we're not really giving up anything that has a lot of current value to us. The worst guy we're losing, in my estimation, is Patrick O'Bryant... but if Nellie has no interest in playing him (not to mention, resigning him), than we shouldn't hold onto him too tightly. If we could get a productive player, like Blount, back in exchange for Pietrus, Perovic, and O'Bryant, we make out like bandits in the short term.

As bad as Blount's contract is, it's only 2 more seasons after this one. And it's only about $7 million per.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 pm
32 wrote:As bad as Blount's contract is, it's only 2 more seasons after this one. And it's only about $7 million per.

Yeah, but we need money available to re-sign Beans and Monta and extend Baron. Those 7 million may matter more than you think...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:34 pm
Don't forget Matt Barnes and Kelenna Azubuike.

Adonal Foyle's contract will expire by 2009, giving us cap flexibility to resign Monta Ellis. This offseason, Jason Richardson's trade exception will expire to give us money for Andris Biedrins. Those two guys are on lock, already.

And Baron Davis' resign will, likely, be for as much money as he being paid now. Contuing to pay Baron is not as tough as going out and getting another Baron-level player. We're not adding to the payroll; we're extending an expense that we're already paying for. Baron isn't like Monta or Biedrins; his year-to-year salary will likely be the same.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm
32 wrote:We're not adding to the payroll; we're extending an expense that we're already paying for. Baron isn't like Monta or Biedrins; his year-to-year salary will likely be the same.

We're adding, although not directly, on other players. Al Harrington's contract increases each year, as well as Jackson's. That's almost 2 million more for next year, and another 2 for next season.

We'll also add, at least, one rookie, that's going to be between 1.5 and 2 million. Our other young guys on the roster will also have slightly bigger contracts.

And, as you say, we'll have to deal with Azubuike and Barnes.

I'd rather play it safe and not add unnecessary payroll. Who knows what Cohan might be thinking?.

If we're going to trade for somebody who makes more than 5 million, it's gotta be a clear upgrade or an expirer. And Blount doesn't qualify as any of those.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:09 pm
kosta perovic is our big body that can rebound and score perovic is our legit big body at 7 2 but never gets minutes i disagree trading perovic. we need a bigger shooting guard dallas is killing us in that dept bonzi wells will be a good fit for sure but trade for who? anyways pat o for warrick and pietrus for
villanueva will be a still for us.
Last edited by mista240sx on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clifford Rozier rememer him?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 pm
mista240sx wrote:kosta perovic i sour big body that can rebound and score perovic is our legit big body at 7 2 but never gets minutes i disagree trading perovic. we need a bigger shooting guard dallas is killing us in that dept bonzi wells will be a good fit for sure but trade for who? anyways pat o for warrick and pietrus for
villanueva will be a still for us.

Perovic is not a big body; he's a 7'2" guy that plays like he's 6'1". Notice how the only rebounds he gets are uncontested, wide open ones? And also notice that, despite having an advantage on every player in the league NOT named Yao Ming, Big Z, or whatever other handful of players are bigger than 7'2", Kosta doesn't block shots.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:29 pm
No way to blount, i like all the other trades though. What about Pietrus for Collison. Im not sure if he could play uptempo but hes a good rebounder and the sonics r probably looking to shed some of their long term contracts.
Basketball would be depressing without the warriors
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:55 am
jimbob631 wrote:No way to blount, i like all the other trades though. What about Pietrus for Collison. Im not sure if he could play uptempo but hes a good rebounder and the sonics r probably looking to shed some of their long term contracts.

Can't think why Seattle would do it. But great for us, of course. :wink:
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:49 am
Like the Bass one. Have seen him play a number of times and he's impressive. Has some nice low post moves too
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:08 am
If we could get Collison for Pietrus, it would have happened by now. Seattle's not that dumb.
All Star
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:54 am
Could we make the Brandon Bass trade work, I like it. I was pretty sure Dallas had planned on keeping Bass around...no?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 am
Yes, but its also no secret that they want Mickael Pietrus, too. And they have a franchise player at PF, so I doubt they'd hold onto a backup 4 too tightly. Their other options at SG are an undersized, combo guard (Jason Terry) or aged veterans (Eddie Jones, Jerry Stackhouse). Aquiring Pietrus would mean Terry and Devin Harris can split PG duties, while the Mav's let Stack & Eddie backup Mickael. It improves their lineup by adding depth to a position where they need depth, unlike PF (where they're set).
Next

Return to Trades