Don Nelson on KNBR

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:36 pm
http://www.knbr.com/razorMrT/index.html podcast

he says at the very end when asked by tolbert, "coach will your roster be the same that it is now after the trade deadline?" nelson replied "no" then said he had to go in so many words.

i wonder what they are going to do? what players could they possibly move that would get anyone of value in return?
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:50 pm
If he isnt just blowing air, it has gotta be Pietrus. He is really the only expendable player on the team. Interesting, though.
2007 - GoldenStWarriors.com "Rookie of the Year"
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 pm
I missed the interview. Afterwards, many callers said he "rushed out of the interview" and many speculated that it had something to do with the Diogu TPE.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:37 pm
I really dont think that they have a deal in the works for tonight, and that is what would need to happen if they trade the Diogu TE. It really isnt that much, either, to get a good player. I would be SHOCKED if something went down tonight.
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:33 pm
True, unless they have something creative up their sleeve, what type of player could they really come up with $2.13 mil?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:50 pm
I think about it based on the Warriors players. Pietrus makes about 2.5, right? So think a player along those lines. We might be able to get a good role player, a guy that is pretty good at one thing, but I just think that they will let the Diogu TE slide and re-up Monta and Biedrins this offseason. However, I do think that they will do something with at least part of the 10 mill from J-Rich.

This is just my opinion, of course.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:07 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I think about it based on the Warriors players. Pietrus makes about 2.5, right? So think a player along those lines. We might be able to get a good role player, a guy that is pretty good at one thing, but I just think that they will let the Diogu TE slide and re-up Monta and Biedrins this offseason. However, I do think that they will do something with at least part of the 10 mill from J-Rich.

This is just my opinion, of course.

Two things:

1.- That exception could only get us a vet under a minimum contract or a player under his rookie contract (and not a high pick), so pretty much nothing. Better just let it expire.

2.- Pietrus makes 3.5 million.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:10 am
Nelson is, and has always been, a bullsh*tter. He understands that everybody in the league listens when he speaks. If Nellie acts like Golden State has something in the works, than some of these teams that aren't quite budging on trade proposals will feel a little more desperate. He's pretending that the window is about to close on these other teams, but he's doing it suspiciously and slyly.

Just like his contract issue, which (as I said from the start) was purely a show for the media, this half-quote will stir up lots of stuff for KNBR and the Merc' to talk about, while Mullin & Co pull off the REAL deal with teams thinking they're swooping in at the last minute to steal Pietrus or whomever away from another trade. Nice chess move by Nelson.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:21 am
It wasn't like that really. He had been trying to get out of the interview was asked a last question. It was more of a statement like "no way we're going to go in the playoffs with just these same guys".
While he is always posturing and bullshitting. I think he is very aware of the Warrior deficits. ( which he should be )
He was in big hurry to build a championship team last time. ( correct me, but didn't he trade the 95, 97, 99 first round draft picks for Webber?
He probably would have traded 96' and 98' but isn't there a rule against trading consecutive year first round draft picks?
My point being, he was in a big hurry and a little reckless, ( Owen for Richmond a no-brainer? ) in his pursuit of a championship team back then. Now in his last years of coaching. Do you think he's more patient now? I don't think he's that interested in leaving a legacy that he can't be a major part of. He's seen his great sucess of some of his proteges and he wants to win one for himself before it's all over.
War Years

Return to Trades