Take on an overpaid point guard for the trade exception

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:11 pm
I think that what the Warriors need to do right now is find an overpaid player, preferably a point guard, that a rebuilding team is looking to pawn off for almost nothing, and use the fact that we have that trade exception to be able to take them for almost nothing.

I've done some looking and here's some of the not very wanted overpaid players on rebuilding teams that I've come up with.

Andre Miller (set to make 10 million next year, nearly that this year)
Mike James (6 million a year for three years)
Cuttino Mobley (9 million a year for three years)
Earl Watson or Luke Ridnour (6.5 million for 2 and 3 years respectively)

The reasons each one is obtainable:

Andre Miller:
Probably the one whose the most of a long shot, but if Philly falls out of the playoffs the 76ers might jump at the chance to unload 18 million dollars of cap space for a cheap young piece like O'Bryant or Bellinelli. The sixers are a young rebuilding team and this trade would land them 35 million dollars below the cap for an offseason where they can re-sign Iggy and perhaps lure a marquee free agent or two. Due to the Larry Bird clause (a team can go over the cap to sign its own free agents) Philly could potentially sign Arenas, Iggy, and Marion.
Mike James:
A very nice backup PG/SG for us, James' salary happens to be just enough that it would tip the luxury tax scale for two years for houston. He's not my favorite type of player, but he'd be a nice backup and we probably wouldn't have to give anything for him.
Cuttino Mobley:
He's 32 years old and not really in the Clippers' future plans (rebuilding teams and highly paid declining players don't go well together) so he'd be a nice piece that we could probably get for as little as a draft pick who would help some of our depth issues.
A Sonics' point guard:
Watson and Ridnour are two identically payed average point guards on a godawful team that also has Delonte West. Three average point guards are a bit of overkill, so it would make sense that they'd want to get rid of one of them to open up some cap room without hurting the team at all.

If these trades seem lopsided talentwise (in most of them we're giving up nothing) it's because they are. The reasons these teams would do these trades is because cap room is important to awful teams and this is an easy way to open up cap room for them.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:50 pm
Why would we want to get an overpaid player???? That is the last thing the team needs!

With Monta and Biedrins looking to get resigned, the team needs all the money they can have to resign them. Even if Mullin could get an expiring backup PG that is pretty expensive for most of the TE, what's the point as that is just spending alot of money for a few minutes of playing time a game for a few months

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:18 pm
Well, most teams wont trade a guy for nothing unless he is overpriced. That is probably what he means. There is no way we will get someone for the TE unless he has a bad contract.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:22 pm
No point getting a player, let alone a PG that is overpriced. The team has no need for that for the reasons I mentioned

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:40 pm
eventually BD is going to go down and when that happens we're going to need a pg or we're going to lose 8 of 10 games during that span. I think it's worth doling out a bit of cash for, especially given the fact that due to the Bird Clause we can re-sign AB and Monta for as much as we want. Frankly, a team that gets a high playoff seed but spends a little extra is going to make much more money than a team that struggles to make it.
ImageImage
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:44 pm
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:eventually BD is going to go down and when that happens we're going to need a pg or we're going to lose 8 of 10 games during that span. I think it's worth doling out a bit of cash for, especially given the fact that due to the Bird Clause we can re-sign AB and Monta for as much as we want. Frankly, a team that gets a high playoff seed but spends a little extra is going to make much more money than a team that struggles to make it.

The team doesn't need to make such a rash move. Monta has improved at PG, SJackson and Barnes have shown they can handle running the show and this is all IF Baron gets hurt, which hasn't looked like happening and we are almost half way through the season. No point wasting so much money. I'd rather throw 2.5 million at Boykins or some other decent free agent PG than make such a move

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:25 pm
Well we need someone who will spell backup relief for Baron or else we may not see him last as long as we'd want. So what if Monta is improving his PG skills? So what if SJax can make plays? Baron is still playing 40+ minutes every night. He should be playing around 32 minutes a night.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:06 pm
Andre miller
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:15 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Well we need someone who will spell backup relief for Baron or else we may not see him last as long as we'd want. So what if Monta is improving his PG skills? So what if SJax can make plays? Baron is still playing 40+ minutes every night. He should be playing around 32 minutes a night.

That just shows that Nelson is the one that needs to change his ways. With another two or three guys that can handle the ball and make decisions, Baron should already be playing less

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:10 am
migya wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:Well we need someone who will spell backup relief for Baron or else we may not see him last as long as we'd want. So what if Monta is improving his PG skills? So what if SJax can make plays? Baron is still playing 40+ minutes every night. He should be playing around 32 minutes a night.

That just shows that Nelson is the one that needs to change his ways. With another two or three guys that can handle the ball and make decisions, Baron should already be playing less

While I do believe Nelson has been overplaying Baron, I put it more on the fact that he has no other choice. Who could be play in relief of Baron? There's no one. Monta, Azubuike, and Belinelli are your only guards. SJax was a SG before, but he doesn't play that here and he plays SF most of the time. Belinelli is ice cold when he plays. When they take Baron out, the Warriors usually have trouble controlling the tempo and potentially could lose the lead or have the score closer. Then he has to send Baron back in and end up having him to play the rest of the game since the score is so close.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:16 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:

While I do believe Nelson has been overplaying Baron, I put it more on the fact that he has no other choice. Who could be play in relief of Baron? There's no one. Monta, Azubuike, and Belinelli are your only guards. SJax was a SG before, but he doesn't play that here and he plays SF most of the time. Belinelli is ice cold when he plays. When they take Baron out, the Warriors usually have trouble controlling the tempo and potentially could lose the lead or have the score closer. Then he has to send Baron back in and end up having him to play the rest of the game since the score is so close.

Like I said before, SJackson, Barnes and now even Monta can playmake pretty well. For just fifteen minutes a game that is good enough. A backup PG would be ideal but there are players here right now that can run the team at times

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 am
migya wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:

Like I said before, SJackson, Barnes and now even Monta can playmake pretty well. For just fifteen minutes a game that is good enough. A backup PG would be ideal but there are players here right now that can run the team at times

And unfortunately, Baron is still playing more than 40 min a night. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Baron leads the league in minutes per game. It's a good thing he's lost a lot of weight since his coming to the Warriors or else he would've never past the first couple games.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:24 am
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:
migya wrote:

And unfortunately, Baron is still playing more than 40 min a night. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Baron leads the league in minutes per game. It's a good thing he's lost a lot of weight since his coming to the Warriors or else he would've never past the first couple games.

All more reason to play him less. It is difficult for Nelson to change what he has been doing because the team has won alot but he should be making a real effort (like he said he would in the offseason) to play Baron no more than 35mins

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:39 am
tHe_pEsTiLeNcE wrote:Andre Miller (set to make 10 million next year, nearly that this year)
Mike James (6 million a year for three years)
Cuttino Mobley (9 million a year for three years)
Earl Watson or Luke Ridnour (6.5 million for 2 and 3 years respectively)

Andre Miller would be a coup for us... but I haven't heard anything about Philly wanting to trade him. I think he's, as you say, a long shot. A very long shot.

As for the others, Ridnour is talented and on the market, but his contract is pretty ugly for a backup. 6.5 million til 2010?. Sounds a bit too much. Of course, that's part of the reason why he's available.

Mobley... I don't think we need him. Monta and Azu can play his role perfectly, and for a lot less.

As for Mike James... I think he's not the kind of player we need, although he'd be an improvement.

If we're going for a vet to play backup PG, I like Stoudamire, Arroyo (this two have been talked about already... although Arroyo would be hard to get), maybe Jeff McInnis or Charlie Bell (although he's signed til 2012... not for a big amount, but it's a contract long enough to make you doubt about trading for him). All of those would be improvements.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:13 pm
Maybe we can convince a team to sign and trade Boykins using the trade exception?
This season is not a flop.
Next

Return to Trades