3-Team Trade Idea (Warriors, Bucks, HEAT)

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:07 pm
Yi Jianlian has officially signed with the Milwaukee Bucks... but I'm extremely suspicious of this whole thing. Jianlian stuck out his tongue and held his breath way too long to simply roll over and sign a deal with the Bucks. I'm a believer that Yi signed the contract purely to help a trade go through... but, like every rookie deal, the fine print stipulates that he cannot be traded until 30 days after signing it.

Meanwhile, the HEAT and the Warriors have been trying to shuffle parts for a Mickael Pietrus deal since the summer began... but the process has drastically slowed down with James Posey going to the Boston Celtics. Adding a 3rd team to the deal (like Milwaukee) with pieces that Golden State would be interested in (such as Yi) would be to Riley, and Miami's, bennefit. Therefore, I propose the following fantasy-GM trade idea:

WARRIORS INCOMING

Yi Jianlian (from Milwaukee)
Jason Williams (from Miami)

BUCKS INCOMING

$10 million TE (from Golden State)
2008 first round pick (from Golden State)
Cash (from Golden State)

HEAT INCOMING

Mickael Pietrus (from Golden State)
Sarunas Jasikevicious (from Golden State)
Dan Gadzuric (from Milwaukee)

Here is a team-by-team breakdown of why (or why not) they would make this deal:

Golden State Warriors

The Warriors have been sitting on a $10 million dollar trade exception since the Richardson trade on Draft Night. The thing is, Golden State isn't very interested in a bargaining chip (like a trade exception). What the Warriors would rather have is an equally lucrative expirer that would shave a large fraction of their payroll off at the season's end, to ensure a safe resign of young studs, Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis. Jason Williams will be handy as a backup to Baron Davis in the meantime... and the Warriors get another Top 10 prospect with versatility, size, and skills. In exchange for bench warmers like Pietrus and Jasikevicious, the Warriors wouldn't think twice about this deal. They upgrade their talent and downsize their payroll in one fell swoop.

Milwaukee Bucks

Okay, so the whole Yi Jianlian pick didn't work out. So the Bucks are lottery-bound again. What better way to pad a rebuilding process than by aquiring a trade exception from Golden State to get rid of one of their larger contracted players, like Gadzuric? The Bucks, who are now anchored by Andrew Bogut and Charlie Villanueva, have little use for an overpaid big riding their pine. Therefore, they ship out Yi (who wouldn't have played for them anyway) and Gadzuric (whose sucking up more of their payroll than necessary) in exchange for the Warriors' trade exception, first round pick, and cash. The Bucks clear their payroll and add another first-round pick in (what experts are calling) an above-average draft class. Suddenly, Bogut and Villanueva's resigns look a lot easier on paper.

Miami HEAT

The HEAT have coveted Pietrus all summer long, so his aquirement needs no further explaination. The other side of this deal for Miami would be absorbing the contract of Dan Gadzuric. The reason the HEAT might be willing to do this is obvious: both of their centers, Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning, are likely to retire at the same time... at which point, they'll be left without a credible big man. Enter Gadzuric, admittedly overpaid but talented nontheless. A frontcourt of Gadzuric and Haslem is smashmouthed, rebounds well, can defend the paint, and will stay out of Dwayne Wade's way. The HEAT prepare for the inevitable retirement of O'Neal and Mourning by adding a young, proven NBA center to the mix. On top of that, they replace their aging point guards (Payton and Williams) with younger ones (Cabbage and Smush). AND they get Pietrus (the player they're after). It's win/win for all sides considered.

What do you guys think?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 pm
I like it, and it is realistic. That would really help the Warriors, but I know a lot of people wont like it because of Yi.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm
Firstly, it wasn't Yi that was holding out, it was his Chinese team, so I have read. Yi actually said that he thought Milwaukee would be a good place for him to be, obviously trying to speed things up and cool things.

As for the trade, don't think Miami goes for it because of Gaz's big contract but they do seem to like Pietrus very much and Jask is an expirer, allowing them to have more salary going after free agents next offseason. The Bucks like Yi though and have wanted him the whole time. It is strange somewhat that they picked Yi, a SF/PF hybrid instead of a true SF as Villa is their #1 option at PF or should be at least. The Bucks want to win now and they expected to do better last season but injuries were the only reason they did so bad, with close to everyone of their starters being injured for long periods of time. You might have to throw in another player from our end, as the Bucks are just getting salary relief and a future 1st rounder, which likely will be no higher than #10. Mullin would go for this obviously, as it gets a backup PG that is a big expirer and gets a Chinese star to get the asian community interested in the team.

It would likely be Milwaukee's call, as Mullin would likely be drooling over getting Yi and the Heat would get Pietrus and an expirer in Jask (50/50 that Riley would go for this). Another thing, Yi would not be a starter here, not by any chance and would be a backup SF at best. The team has Barnes as backup SF, BWright as backup PF, Croshere as backup PF and C and O'bryant to give court time to as well. The front court is stacked on our team, not overly talented but stacked as far as number of players. Yi might not want to come here just for that reason

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:30 am
Eh... I don't like it. I guess it makes sense, from the teams point of view, but I'd hate to make that trade. Purely because I don't like Yi. I'm pretty sure we can get someone better if we keep the TE til the trade deadline. Also, I'd rather keep that first rounder...

I've got a question, tho. The TE cannot be traded in a package with more players, but can it be with picks?. Maybe we should have to make the trade in two separate deals...
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:35 am
one of the more realistic 3 way trades ive seen on this board. Think it was Mig that said it'd hang on the bucks decision? I'd agree with that.

I know Yi is both loathed and loved on this board, but I'd go for it
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:42 am
TMC wrote:Eh... I don't like it. I guess it makes sense, from the teams point of view, but I'd hate to make that trade. Purely because I don't like Yi. I'm pretty sure we can get someone better if we keep the TE til the trade deadline. Also, I'd rather keep that first rounder...

I've got a question, tho. The TE cannot be traded in a package with more players, but can it be with picks?. Maybe we should have to make the trade in two separate deals...

From what I've read, the TE can only be handed over by itself, I missed that when I saw this trade, so this wouldn't be possible

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:20 am
migya wrote:Firstly, it wasn't Yi that was holding out, it was his Chinese team, so I have read. Yi actually said that he thought Milwaukee would be a good place for him to be, obviously trying to speed things up and cool things.

I dunno... did you see Yi's face when the Bucks took him on draft night? The guy wasn't happy to be away from the coastal United States, where the Asian population booms. His camp can try to take all the blame, but that ridiculous stipulation had to stem from Yi himself. What would his Chinese team care if he played in Milwaukee? It was Yi's own combination of racism and social bias. Which is why I'm still suspicious about the whole signing...

migya wrote:As for the trade, don't think Miami goes for it because of Gaz's big contract but they do seem to like Pietrus very much and Jask is an expirer, allowing them to have more salary going after free agents next offseason. The Bucks like Yi though and have wanted him the whole time. It is strange somewhat that they picked Yi, a SF/PF hybrid instead of a true SF as Villa is their #1 option at PF or should be at least. The Bucks want to win now and they expected to do better last season but injuries were the only reason they did so bad, with close to everyone of their starters being injured for long periods of time. You might have to throw in another player from our end, as the Bucks are just getting salary relief and a future 1st rounder, which likely will be no higher than #10. Mullin would go for this obviously, as it gets a backup PG that is a big expirer and gets a Chinese star to get the asian community interested in the team.

Well, the Bucks can hope to win this year. They were gunning for a 7th or 8th spot last season... and the East has only gotten better since then. Basement teams, like the Celtics, Bobcats, and Magic, are suddenly REALLY dangerous. Milwaukee's management would be smarter to look to the future. Getting 2 first rounders in next year's draft would do wonders for their roster. Look at Atlanta. If they were truly trying to build a winning team, they'd move Gadzuric's contract, attempt to move Simmons, and focus on resigning their youngsters, Charlie, Bogut, and (now) Yi.

Trading Yi for, essentially, 2 first rounders and cap relief might be their best route. They'll likely get a Top 5 pick in next year's draft if they make this trade.

migya wrote:It would likely be Milwaukee's call, as Mullin would likely be drooling over getting Yi and the Heat would get Pietrus and an expirer in Jask (50/50 that Riley would go for this). Another thing, Yi would not be a starter here, not by any chance and would be a backup SF at best. The team has Barnes as backup SF, BWright as backup PF, Croshere as backup PF and C and O'bryant to give court time to as well. The front court is stacked on our team, not overly talented but stacked as far as number of players. Yi might not want to come here just for that reason

I can see Riley going for this. As good a coach as he is, he's never been a good GM. After landing Shaq, Riley stacked his team because he knew he'd only get less than 5 years to win rings off of O'Neal... but do you remember the late 90's when he absolutely destroyed a talented HEAT team built around Zo and Bug? He signed Brian Grant, held onto PJ Brown too long, went after players like Issaq Austin instead of proven NBA talent... I dunno, Riley's never impressed me as a GM, so I don't think he'd have much hesitation about absorbing a big contract (especially if they pitch the whole "O'Neal/Mourning retiring soon" angle.

If the Bucks' ownership can reconcile themselves to the fact that this year is already going down the tubes (which, it is), than the trade seems a lot more likely.

As far as the TE stipulation, that sort of thing can easily be bypassed. As TMC pointed out, you can execute 2 trades.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:35 pm
I'd love this trade but it seems almost too good to be true :-)
Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:35 pm
i read that yi didnt mind playing for milwaukee and that yao ming was going through the same problems when he was entering the NBA. the whole issue about yi wanting to be in a large chinese population area was more of a preference than a demand. of course, everything is heresay and who really knows? but the articles i've read provide a clearer perspective on the yi/milwaukee/chinese team situation.

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:35 pm
aaustria wrote:i read that yi didnt mind playing for milwaukee and that yao ming was going through the same problems when he was entering the NBA. the whole issue about yi wanting to be in a large chinese population area was more of a preference than a demand. of course, everything is heresay and who really knows? but the articles i've read provide a clearer perspective on the yi/milwaukee/chinese team situation.

yao wasnt going thru quite the same thing. houston has a huge asian population...probably the most of any city in a state not on either side of the country.

migya wrote:From what I've read, the TE can only be handed over by itself, I missed that when I saw this trade, so this wouldn't be possible

i think the way 32 was thinkin was that it would be structured so that essentially we would trade the exception for yi by itsself, and then the rest would be a separate transaction involving miami. the same way people were talking about using the TE for troy hudson and all those other players for kg.
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Role Player
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:49 pm
what i meant with yao ming and yi having the same situation is the fact that china wanted yao ming to use THEIR agent to negotiate the deals. yao ming decided against it and got his own agent. yi is in the same situation in the sense that his agent is the one who ultimately determines where yi will end up...and this is an agent that yi did not choose for himself and hasn't spoken up to fire.

That's me :D

All Star
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:42 pm
ah...gotcha :thumbright:
"the victorious warrior wins first, and then goes to war; the defeated warrior goes to war first, and hopes to win."- The Art of War

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:21 pm
32 wrote:I can see Riley going for this. As good a coach as he is, he's never been a good GM. After landing Shaq, Riley stacked his team because he knew he'd only get less than 5 years to win rings off of O'Neal... but do you remember the late 90's when he absolutely destroyed a talented HEAT team built around Zo and Bug? He signed Brian Grant, held onto PJ Brown too long, went after players like Issaq Austin instead of proven NBA talent... I dunno, Riley's never impressed me as a GM, so I don't think he'd have much hesitation about absorbing a big contract (especially if they pitch the whole "O'Neal/Mourning retiring soon" angle.

I think Riley has been a very good GM and recruited very well for his teams. He is scrupulous and ruthless in his pursuit of players he wants. Wouldn't be surprised to see Riley make a deal for another star within two years

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:54 am
It's realistic, but I don't wanna throw out that TE for Yi.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:05 am
JayPat wrote:It's realistic, but I don't wanna throw out that TE for Yi.

Yeah, even if we can't land anybody by the deadline, I'd rather keep it and use that money to re-sign Beans and Monta...
Next

Return to Trades