Trade Baron?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:23 pm
Here's my point before I leave this debate: Baron Davis is the type of player that you can never get equal value for. He has baggage... and, in this day and age, baggage all but strips you of your value. Players like Baron Davis, Grant Hill, Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson, Jason Kidd, and Steve Nash can never be traded for equal value. Issues like age, health, money, off-court issues, and other drama diminish trade value. Right now, I'd wager we could get more back in exchange for Andris Biedrins than we could for Baron Davis.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:26 pm
Oh, you bet we could. We could get a superstar player for Andris. He is absolutely untouchable, though.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:40 pm
Who needs equal value for Baron, I'll take young players for our system, cap relief, and high picks next year. Look I would be down to play the season with Baron but 08 is the pg draft and we can find a guy to run our O! Who here really belives that Nellie can't draft a pg? Or turn Monta into one? He is the reason we got to the playoffs not just Baron. Baron is a top 3 pg when he's heahtly, but when is he heathlty? Look a young pg, top 5 pick in 08, with some money off the books puts us in good shape for years to come.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:48 pm
1) I have always believed that a coach can only play his hand. I really dont think that Monta is capable of running an offense. I love him at shooting guard, but I just dont like him at point. I dont think that there is a whole lot Nellie can do with a person who cant play a position.

2) No one is going to give us a top five pick for Baron....

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:55 pm
Seatlle got a 5 for Ray Allen! We can get a 5 for Baron!
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:01 pm
Over his career, Allen has played more games per year than Baron has. Allen isnt as injury prone as Baron.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:03 pm
That's because they didn't want a rookie unless his name was Oden or Durant. And Ainge was willing to do whatever it took to get help for Pierce and start winning.

Besides, I would never trade Baron. The type of PG's like Baron that are there still are as slim as an anorexic, bony person.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:18 pm
Skill wise what you have argued makes sense, it would be a good and logical trade on paper or in a video game. But what you dont see is the fact that Baron Davis probably effects his locker room as much or more than any player in basketball. He is the glue, Nelson has dubbed him as the man, so he is. Getting Lamar would ruin the chemestry, the style of ball, and the number of wins. And Ellis would improve about half as much, considering that if you want someone to teach you how to play a tough-ass point guard, my pick would be Baron or Nash, not..... well i guess our only other guy would be Crittenton :mrgreen:
I give MC's the runs... drippin'...
~
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 pm
MadeULook wrote:Baron a pay cut? Have you follwed his carrer? He is going to want 4 years 60 mil, or just opt out. He makes more money the Nash! 08 is the point guard draft so if you think we can't find a pass first point guard you should take another look. The point is to show people are options:
extend Baron to a ton of cash
let him opt out and get cap space
try and trade and get as close to equal value
I am in the mind set we took a step back this off-season. I agree we had to trade J-Rich to get better down the road. Trading Baron for the right package can get us to being an eliet team 3 years down the road when S.A., Pho., and Dallas are aging. We have the leverage with Baron right now! If he gets hurt or starts talking opt out we are fu*k!

Gotta agree here. I don't see Baron taking a pay cut. He knows his value to the Warriors and we will pay. I just hope it's a 3-4 year deal and not 6-7.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:33 pm
:shock: There is no way that he gets a 6-7 year deal. That will take him into his 40's.... They are probably going to be hesitant to give him 3-4 due to his injury prone career.
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:34 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote::shock: There is no way that he gets a 6-7 year deal. That will take him into his 40's.... They are probably going to be hesitant to give him 3-4 due to his injury prone career.

We'll see. In a way he's holding all the cards. We're way back in lottery-land without him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:39 pm
That is why I said hesitant for the 3-4 years. They are probably willing to do that, but I dont think there is any way that he will get 7 years. That is a crazy contract for someone who averages 58 games per year....
All Star
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:42 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:That is why I said hesitant for the 3-4 years. They are probably willing to do that, but I dont think there is any way that he will get 7 years. That is a crazy contract for someone who averages 58 games per year....

I hope you're right :-)
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:48 pm
cladden wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:That is why I said hesitant for the 3-4 years. They are probably willing to do that, but I dont think there is any way that he will get 7 years. That is a crazy contract for someone who averages 58 games per year....

I hope you're right :-)

I better be. :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:54 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote::shock: There is no way that he gets a 6-7 year deal. That will take him into his 40's.... They are probably going to be hesitant to give him 3-4 due to his injury prone career.

I don't think they'll hesitate much. Losing Baron is a no-no. He's the key guy for us. I'm pretty sure he'll sign that 3-4 year extension with a salary similar to what he makes now (not 6-7 years. That's crazy).
PreviousNext

Return to Trades