Trade Baron?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:18 am
This is my first post so I just want to introduce myself. I'm a die hard GSW fan since 89, and remeber Nellie trading our furture away for Chris Webber. (Still have dreams of what could had been if he a Nellie could of got along) So for my first post I wanted to come out with a bang....should we think about trading Baron? I know what you are going to say already, no way we make the playoffs without Diddy, and I agree. But what do our chances look like now? Mem., N.O., Por., all got beater this off season and we got worst. Monta is the future at point, and Barons value is at a all time high. What about a deal for Lamar Odom, thier rook Critteden ( Big 6'5'' combo would look nice next 2 Monta, put him on shooting guards), and thier 1st in 08 and 10. It would be a fair deal for both teams. Kobe gets help ( even if it's an outta shape ballhog) and we get our low post foward Nellie ball needs. And it helps us with the cap casue Lamar only makes 13 mil for 2 more seasons. And for the long term fan like myself, when Lamars contract is up in 2010 Amare and Lebron will be free agents. Look I have no problem going to war with Baron at the helm, but at best we are a 7th seed out west with him at the point. Why not try to get fair value before he either opts out our holds us ransom for a Vince Carter money?
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:27 am
Welcome to the board. :mrgreen:

First, I dont think that we got worse. I think that we are still a playoff team. We made the playoffs without J-Rich, and that means that we dont need him. Adding a guy like B-Wright can help inside and with rebounding and shotblocking.

Second, Monta is NOT our future point guard. If we put him at point, we are going to have no success at all. He has no handles, and turns the ball over too much. He is a great option at shooting guard, but he better not be our point.

Third, there is no way that we are able to get that much for Baron.

. An All-star power forward
. A highly ranked young guard ---------> . Injury prone veteran point
. 2 first round picks guard

Fourth, Kobe does not want to play with a guy who will shoot as much as he does.

I am not bashing Baron. I love the guy, but that is just way too much to get for him.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:42 am
I see some of your points and you backed them up with facts. To play back Idon't think you know how desperate L.A. is. They need 2 make a move now or they are going to watch Kobe opt out and go east. 1st Nellie said Monta is the future pg. This guys coached Hardaway, Nash, Terry, drafted Harris so I will trust Nellie over u. 2nd Kobe has already asked for Baron in trades before and they play together in L.A. a ton so maybe on court it works. 3rd the trade can be tweaked, as long as the keys are Baron and Lamar. 4th how do you get better when u trade a proven player for a rookie? And I say that being all the J-Rich trade. The point I'm trying to make is Baron is our best trade asset. If we really want to get better we have to start feiding offers.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:04 am
First of all, welcome to the board, MadeULook. :hello2:

It's true you want to start with a bang. Let's go step by step with your post. A few points to discuss:

1.- Mem., N.O., Por., all got beater this off season and we got worst.

This is gonna be a pretty controversial point. The way I see it, we are a worse team right now, but may be better in the long run if the rookies pan out.

But you'll see lots of people on the board that consider that the team is improved even for next season. We'll have to wait and see.

2.- Monta is the future at point

I'm not sure of that yet. I'd like to believe it, because he doesn't have to body to be a full time SG. Looks like a better fit at PG. The problem is that his game is that of a SG. He still has lots of things to prove before we can talk about moving him to PG.

3.- Should we think about trading Baron?

Maybe... but he's the key to our success, so we better get an all star to replace him. Odom, Crittenton and two firsts?. I doubt that happens. The Lakers can get Jermaine O'Neal for that much.

Actually, it's not easy to think of a trade that works with Baron. Most of the players of his level are not available in trades, and trading to get worse doesn't look like an option.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:36 am
MadeULook wrote:I see some of your points and you backed them up with facts. To play back Idon't think you know how desperate L.A. is. They need 2 make a move now or they are going to watch Kobe opt out and go east. 1st Nellie said Monta is the future pg. This guys coached Hardaway, Nash, Terry, drafted Harris so I will trust Nellie over u. 2nd Kobe has already asked for Baron in trades before and they play together in L.A. a ton so maybe on court it works. 3rd the trade can be tweaked, as long as the keys are Baron and Lamar. 4th how do you get better when u trade a proven player for a rookie? And I say that being all the J-Rich trade. The point I'm trying to make is Baron is our best trade asset. If we really want to get better we have to start feiding offers.

I am not saying that I know more than Nellie. I am basing what I say on watching him play. I heard that he is developing his passing and ball handling. If he does, then that is fine, play him at point. Right now, though, I dont want him running my offense. I think that even we might not be as good this year without J-Rich as we would with him, I still think that we are a playoff caliber team, maybe 5-6. We still need to add a good veteran point guard behind Baron, and if we do that, we should be fine.

I think that if we were to trade Baron to the Lakers, it would be something like this:

Odom
and
2 draft picks OR their draft pick----------> Baron
this year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A trade that I would like is this:

Odom
1st round next year------------------------> Baron
Their 1st round pick this year Al Harrington

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:05 pm
But it sounds like you agree with the overall idea of trading BD sfgaint? And that Lamar who be a good fit for team? And that would make us a playoff team?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:19 pm
trading Baron is just not a viable option.

For one thing, as people have noted, he is our best player, leader, and everyone feeds off of him. He put us on his back to the playoffs last year.

But the main thing is there is just NO WAY to get back a guy of equal value. At his age, injury history, and contract, there would be so few takers. He is not any better then he was when we got him and we stole him because of injury concerns and his contract. Now he is 3 years older and a few more injuries in.

His value to this organization just could not be matched in a trade. The value we would get back would be substantially lower.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 pm
So with that being said you would extend him him? Let him walk? I agree with everything you posted, but Baron has to play 65-70 games this season for us to make the playoff! I'm sorry guy but I HAVE NO FATE in Baron's knees or back. Extending him will kill any chance of bettering our team. Even if we get 90 cents on the dollar we should at least listen to offers if they are any out there.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:26 pm
MadeULook wrote:But it sounds like you agree with the overall idea of trading BD sfgaint? And that Lamar who be a good fit for team? And that would make us a playoff team?

I think that if we got the right option, I would be willing to trade him, but I am certainly not shopping him around right now. Anything that would help us get better would be fine with me. That second trade that I suggested would not make us a playoff team this year, but next year. The problem with trading Baron that I have is no proven point guard. I just dont think that Monta is our future at the moment.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:27 pm
Unless you can get a player of Baron's caliber, you have no choice but to extend him. Monta Ellis cannot play point guard... and our lineup is built around Baron Davis setting others up. Without a playmaker, we have a team full of shooters without anybody to get them the ball.

When healthy, Baron Davis is in the Top 3 point guards of the league at all times. You can't get equal value for a guy like that. Pay the man. Obviously, he'll take a pay cut since he's not as young and is a bit injury-prone, but pay him nevertheless.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:43 pm
Baron a pay cut? Have you follwed his carrer? He is going to want 4 years 60 mil, or just opt out. He makes more money the Nash! 08 is the point guard draft so if you think we can't find a pass first point guard you should take another look. The point is to show people are options:
extend Baron to a ton of cash
let him opt out and get cap space
try and trade and get as close to equal value
I am in the mind set we took a step back this off-season. I agree we had to trade J-Rich to get better down the road. Trading Baron for the right package can get us to being an eliet team 3 years down the road when S.A., Pho., and Dallas are aging. We have the leverage with Baron right now! If he gets hurt or starts talking opt out we are fu*k!
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:08 pm
I think this is funny. Midseason, when Baron was injured, trade threads for him were popping up left and right. However, once he came back and the Warriors made their late season push into the playoffs, all those doubters seemed to disappear. And nobody had any problem riding Baron past the Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs.

When the season starts and Baron continues to rip it up, I'm sure these ideas will die down again.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 pm
I am willing to ride anyone who is going to help us win. If it is Baron, let him take us all the way. If it is Jackson, let him. I dont care who is it as long as he can play.

Rookie
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:00 pm
You talk like I'm hating on Baron. No brah, I'm a Baron fan! Your right as soon as Baron gets hurt this year people are gonna say trade Baron, but thats to late. I'm saying Baron needs to be heathly for us to get into the playoffs. Last year we had to sneak into the playoffs, I don't think thats gonna work this year. If GSW fans want to go the PLAYOFFS which should be the goal we should trade Baron BEFORE he gets hurt! After he gets hurt not only do we NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS we wont be able to trade him!
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:20 pm
MadeULook wrote:You talk like I'm hating on Baron. No brah, I'm a Baron fan! Your right as soon as Baron gets hurt this year people are gonna say trade Baron, but thats to late. I'm saying Baron needs to be heathly for us to get into the playoffs. Last year we had to sneak into the playoffs, I don't think thats gonna work this year. If GSW fans want to go the PLAYOFFS which should be the goal we should trade Baron BEFORE he gets hurt! After he gets hurt not only do we NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS we wont be able to trade him!

But what you are saying is that Baron is pretty much a given to get hurt, so lets trade him before he gets hurt for a stud.

Problem is nobody is going to give us one in return for Baron. Baron while one of the top at his position is a VERY risky player. A risky player that also has a 20mil salary. You are fooling yourself if you think you can get anywhere close to equal value for him. It is just not going to happen.

We either have to virtually give him away much like Charlotte did OR keep him and pray he stays healthy.

Return to Trades