Getting Marion

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:01 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:Mullin's offseason has been awful so far and he has not attained a star PF. Shawn Marion is a great player but Phoenix has looked to move him the last two years more than once. Suns really wanted to get KG but couldn't do it, much like Mullin. The Warriors need rebounding and defense most of all and need a PF that provides that while still being able to score some. The Suns have traded away future draft picks like mad the last couple of years and would love to get good young players, especially young bigs.

Trade Proposal:

Warriors trade Harrington, BWright, O'bryant and Foyle to Suns for Marion and Banks.

Mullin would finally have solved the rebounding and defense by getting Marion who can score very well as well. Getting Banks would solve the backup PG problem also.

Suns may see BWright as a future star PF and even an instant contributor next to Amare and Nash. Harrington does many things offensively as well as Marion and so would fit well in the Suns style. O'bryant would be a backup (if they see him as a viable one) and Foyle is added for salary to work in the trade.

Mullin has added Croshere (not a good PF but anyway) and could resign Powell or look for another bench PF if he thinks he needs to.

Lineups:

Warriors:
PG - Baron/Banks/Monta
SG - Monta/Belinelli/Azu
SF - SJackson/Barnes?
PF - Marion/Croshere/Powell?
C - Biedrins/Croshere/Kosta

Suns:
PG - Nash/Barbosa
SG - Bell/GHill/Piatkowski
SF - Diaw/Harrington/GHill
PF - Harrington/BWright
C - Amare/BWright/Marks

Suns get even more talented and they need more players to round off the roster. Suns get two bigs that can run and gun.

Warriors get their rebounder to put alongside Biedrins. Marion can run and gun, shoot from the outside, almost do it all

You really want Croshere as our 2nd string pf and c? Basing this on how much you hate him? :wink:

Well............... Get Powell! :wink: My preferred backup

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:07 am
Dubs4life wrote:
migya wrote:The Suns have traded away future draft picks like mad the last couple of years and would love to get good young players, especially young bigs.

Uhh what? What makes you think they want young bigs who are a year or two away from being big time contributors. I think thats the reason why they have been trading away their picks, is because they want people who can contribute right away. Steve Nash isn't getting any younger and by trading Marion away for B-Wright they would basiacally be taking themselves out of the title hunt this year, and seeing how nash is already 31 you never know if hes gonna last another year.

BWright could play better alongside Nash and Amare. Nash has a history of making players better

migya wrote:Suns get even more talented and they need more players to round off the roster. Suns get two bigs that can run and gun.

Yes they get two bigs that can run with them, but in my opinion Harrington/BWright is a downgrade from Marion.

Finally I doubt that Marion is being shopped, hes one of the suns Big Three and hes also probably one of the to 15 or 20 players in the league.[/quote]

He was shopped the last two seasons, more because of his contract than anything else. When they resigned Diaw, they were really looking to get rid of Marion

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:01 am
I wouldn't trade Brandan Wright and Al Harrington for Shawn Marion.

We give up both our PFs in exchange for a natural small forward? Come on. We need to stop stockpiling wingmen and get some bigs in here! Thats what the whole JRich trade and Croshere signing was about: increasing size. Lets stop thinking about the highlight reel and start winning games.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:11 am
Isnt that exactly what Al Harrington is? A small forward-turned power forward...?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:35 am
Yes. So why throw in Brandan Wright? Especially when our next closest backup is Austin Croshere. :oops:
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:37 am
:shock: Croshere's a beast! :wink:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:55 pm
Haha, seriously. Both trades that migya proposed were obviously aimed at getting rid of Harrington and Wright... but this Marion trade does nothing for us. We would, in essence, be trading Jason Richardson and Al Harrington for Shawn Marion. That doesn't seem like a little bit of overkill??
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:35 pm
Straight up like that, yes it is, but you need to take into the consideration the 10 mill TE. It might still be overkill, but it makes it more interesting.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:26 am
32 wrote:I wouldn't trade Brandan Wright and Al Harrington for Shawn Marion.

We give up both our PFs in exchange for a natural small forward? Come on. We need to stop stockpiling wingmen and get some bigs in here! Thats what the whole JRich trade and Croshere signing was about: increasing size. Lets stop thinking about the highlight reel and start winning games.

As I said, Marion has played PF for years for the Suns and been elite. His rebounding and defense alone makes him a great player, add his offensive talent and he is a rare player. The team would win more.

Powell would be resigned so hopefully Croshere would be third string backup :mrgreen:

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:29 am
migya wrote:Powell would be resigned so hopefully Croshere would be third string backup

After the Croshere signing, I've got my doubts about Powell being a Warrior next season...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 am
migya wrote:

As I said, Marion has played PF for years for the Suns and been elite. His rebounding and defense alone makes him a great player, add his offensive talent and he is a rare player. The team would win more.

Powell would be resigned so hopefully Croshere would be third string backup :mrgreen:

Shawn Marion only works on the Phoenix Suns because they have taller players surrounding him. Their SF (Boris Diaw) is 6'9". Amare is a beast. Prior to this season, Kurt Thomas came off the bench to play next to him. Our center is Andris Biedrins (whose strength isn't nearly on par with Stoudamire) and our small forward is Stephen Jackson, whose a natural SG.

Our starting lineup is currently an average of 6'7". Losing Harrington makes us another 2 inches shorter. Marion's hops are what get him rebounds; not boxing out or playing physical. Besides... what happens when we need to sub someone out? You really think Austin Croshere's a better backup than Brandan Wright?!
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:19 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Powell would be resigned so hopefully Croshere would be third string backup

After the Croshere signing, I've got my doubts about Powell being a Warrior next season...

Yea that seems the case unfortunately but Mullin should see the potential in that young guy because he showed nice flashes in limited time

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:24 am
32 wrote:
migya wrote:

Shawn Marion only works on the Phoenix Suns because they have taller players surrounding him. Their SF (Boris Diaw) is 6'9". Amare is a beast. Prior to this season, Kurt Thomas came off the bench to play next to him. Our center is Andris Biedrins (whose strength isn't nearly on par with Stoudamire) and our small forward is Stephen Jackson, whose a natural SG.

Our starting lineup is currently an average of 6'7". Losing Harrington makes us another 2 inches shorter. Marion's hops are what get him rebounds; not boxing out or playing physical. Besides... what happens when we need to sub someone out? You really think Austin Croshere's a better backup than Brandan Wright?!

Marion is 6'7 and has always played bigger than his height, opposite to Harrington. Getting Marion for those two would only be an improvement, especially immediately.

Croshere better than BWright, right now maybe! Croshere is a good outside shooter at least and can be a decent rebounder, that he has shown. BWright might be a good rebounder and shot blocker but he has to show that

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:17 am
migya wrote:
32 wrote:
migya wrote:

Croshere better than BWright, right now maybe! Croshere is a good outside shooter at least and can be a decent rebounder, that he has shown.

I knew it! Secretly, you love Croshere! :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:58 am
No, he just really hates Brandan Wright... which is funny, because he knows nothing about him, has never seen him play (other than highlights), and only has a gripe with him because we traded *gasp!!!* Richardson for him. :mrgreen:
PreviousNext

Return to Trades