Sonics and Suns complete a trade

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:56 am
Sonics trade a 2nd round pick and their TE for

Kurt Thomas and 1st round picks in 2008 and 2010

Now that is the power of a trade exception. They traded a 2nd round pick for two #1's and a player.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:57 pm
The Warriors would have jumped all over that and they have a bigger exemption. They get a PF which they need PLUS 2 first rounders.

This goes to show you that the Warriors have bigger things in store

Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 pm
Damn! 2 1st rounders AND Kurt Thomas? Thats a lot! How much was the TE for? I guess the suns wanna pick up someone else pretty bad...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:15 pm
Dubs4life wrote:Damn! 2 1st rounders AND Kurt Thomas? Thats a lot! How much was the TE for? I guess the suns wanna pick up someone else pretty bad...

I wouldnt be shocked if they shell out for Matt Barnes.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:47 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
Dubs4life wrote:Damn! 2 1st rounders AND Kurt Thomas? Thats a lot! How much was the TE for? I guess the suns wanna pick up someone else pretty bad...

The TE was 9 million, a pretty big exception actualy. Think you could be right sfsf, Barnes could be targeted by Phoenix but the thing is, they have Grant Hill, Diaw and Marion that play some SF. Barnes seems like an unneeded player for tham unless they trade one of the three I mentioned and they are likely looking to get rid of Diaw as he has regressed somewhat.

Definately a pretty big coup for the Sonics, especially as they got the two future 1st rounders. Thing is, those 1st rounders will likely be very low and thus they might next get much out of them but 1st rounders are 1st rounders. KThomas can be a consistent player for them at Center and play some PF if Wilcox and Collison aren't doing it for them. He is also an expirer so Seattle might look to either move him for some talent or let him expire, thus saving even more salary and setting themselves up to target some major free agants next offseason. Really think Seattle could be a great team in two years if they can sign one or two great players next offseason, especially a PG and SG.

Phoenix might really be trying to get in a position to get Garnett. The 9 million trade exception allows them to really compete with Mullin by being able to take back a bad contract like Hudson. This is the time for Mullin to try to get a three team trade because all Phoenix wants is Garnett and all we need is a star big, like Amare. McHale can score to trade exceptions that equal 19 million! He could still get BWright and Monta (though admittedly, I don't want to give up Monta). By taking Foyle, McHale assures himself of having 19 million to play with for next offseason and another 10 million the following offseason. The TWolves could get a better team than they ever have had in less than two years

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:14 am
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

The TE was 9 million, a pretty big exception actualy. Think you could be right sfsf, Barnes could be targeted by Phoenix but the thing is, they have Grant Hill, Diaw and Marion that play some SF. Barnes seems like an unneeded player for tham unless they trade one of the three I mentioned and they are likely looking to get rid of Diaw as he has regressed somewhat.

Definately a pretty big coup for the Sonics, especially as they got the two future 1st rounders. Thing is, those 1st rounders will likely be very low and thus they might next get much out of them but 1st rounders are 1st rounders. KThomas can be a consistent player for them at Center and play some PF if Wilcox and Collison aren't doing it for them. He is also an expirer so Seattle might look to either move him for some talent or let him expire, thus saving even more salary and setting themselves up to target some major free agants next offseason. Really think Seattle could be a great team in two years if they can sign one or two great players next offseason, especially a PG and SG.

Phoenix might really be trying to get in a position to get Garnett. The 9 million trade exception allows them to really compete with Mullin by being able to take back a bad contract like Hudson. This is the time for Mullin to try to get a three team trade because all Phoenix wants is Garnett and all we need is a star big, like Amare. McHale can score to trade exceptions that equal 19 million! He could still get BWright and Monta (though admittedly, I don't want to give up Monta). By taking Foyle, McHale assures himself of having 19 million to play with for next offseason and another 10 million the following offseason. The TWolves could get a better team than they ever have had in less than two years

Write what you think every team would get.

For example:

Golden State: Amare
Phoenix: KG
Minny: ---,-----,----------
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:13 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:
migya wrote:
sfsfsfgiants wrote:

Write what you think every team would get.

For example:

Golden State: Amare
Phoenix: KG
Minny: ---,-----,----------

Something like:

Phoenix
outgoing - Amare, Banks and Piatkowski (expirer)
incoming - Garnett and Warrior's future 2nd rounder (2008)

Minnesota
outgoing - Garnett
incoming - Monta, BWright, Harrington and Foyle

Golden State
outgoing - Monta, BWright, Harrington, Foyle and future 2nd rounder (2008)
incoming - Amare, Banks and Piatkowski (expirer)

Separate deals:
Phoenix receive Marko Jaric and give 6.05 million of TE to TWolves
Warriors receive Troy Hudson and give 5.95 million of TE to TWolves

Both Suns and Warriors get who they want and McHale gets alot of young talent plus plenty of cap space to go after free agents, both now and next offseason when many star players are out of contract

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:34 pm
This was a salary dump. Barnes may go to the Suns... but they already have Grant Hill. Though, they're starting to get small. They don't have reserves behind Amare and Marion at the 5 and 4 spots.
Don't hate yourself in the morning... sleep 'til noon.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:27 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:This was a salary dump. Barnes may go to the Suns... but they already have Grant Hill. Though, they're starting to get small. They don't have reserves behind Amare and Marion at the 5 and 4 spots.

They only have some 9 players on their roster. They'll have to sign 5 guys just to have a complete roster

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:48 am
xbaywarrior wrote:This was a salary dump.

That's what I think, too. Sarver is just saving money, and hurting Phoenix chances of winning the title. They have traded all of their first rounders in the last 3 or 4 years. Also have lost an important role player in Kurt Thomas.

Just by keeping their picks, they could have a better bench than any other team in the league.

That team will implode in a couple of years, without a title, and they have Robert Sarver to thank. Seems like Donald Sterling ain't that bad an owner, after all.

I just hope they haven't been as dumb as to trade Atlanta's first rounder for next year...
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:53 am
The Suns play with a small rotation. They use a 6 to 7 man rotation. Not even sometimes. They usually count on Nash, Marion, and Amare to play 40+ minutes early and often in the season. That'll be their downfall in the future.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:46 am
Yeah, they play Nash, Diaw, Amare, Marion, Barbosa, Raja Bell... and not much else. They'll have Grant Hill this year, but that's all.

Meanwhile, they have traded away Kurt Thomas, Nate Robinson, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Fernandez and two future first rounders, just for... a trade exception?

It's a shame for Nash, Amare and the rest of their guys, but that front office deserves to fail. That's not how to build a contender.

(Unless they prove me wrong and use that exception to trade for someone that can really improve them)
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:38 am
The Phoenix ownership really does look like they don't want to win and they don't deserve to right now. They could have a great 10-11 man deep team but they don't and likely won't be able to put together a championship team

Franchise Player
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:04 pm
I've always seen the Suns as a contender in the West... it's just that they've seemed to get cheated out of the championship game. Though they won't last long like this... they'll be bound to lose it once Nash retires.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:11 am
TMC wrote:
xbaywarrior wrote:This was a salary dump.

That's what I think, too.

Ehhh... I think it was another last ditch attempt at getting back in the Garnett race.

Its no secret, Minnesota wants youngsters and cap relief. The Suns had the pieces to get the deal done, but they needed some salary room to appease Minny. Now, they have it.

Mullin: play your cards carefully.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Next

Return to Trades