A Busy Summer

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm
badabing8888 wrote:
32 wrote:Marcus Camby is a huge part of Denver's success. Even if ownership wants to get under the salary cap, they'll trade Nene before they trade Camby.

Well of course they would 32, but what team in their right mind would pick up Nene's 50.4 million over the next 4 years without giving back contracts in return???

Nene is middle of the road player with a long term fat contract. Nobody is going to absorb that without giving back salaries.

A ton of teams would. Nene had a fantastic season last year. Many teams, that were once skeptical, now think Nene is a great big man talent.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:04 pm
32 wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:
32 wrote:Marcus Camby is a huge part of Denver's success. Even if ownership wants to get under the salary cap, they'll trade Nene before they trade Camby.

Well of course they would 32, but what team in their right mind would pick up Nene's 50.4 million over the next 4 years without giving back contracts in return???

Nene is middle of the road player with a long term fat contract. Nobody is going to absorb that without giving back salaries.

A ton of teams would. Nene had a fantastic season last year. Many teams, that were once skeptical, now think Nene is a great big man talent.

I gotta disagree. But in anycase, the ONLY way this could happen is to trade him to a team that was 11 mil UNDER the cap. How many teams are in that situation? I cant think of ANY. Orlando and Charlote were before the Lewis and Jrich signings/trades. Other than that, we have a 10 mil trade exception and Seattle has a 9.5 mill trade exception. So I just dont see it man.

Maybe I am undervaluing Nene. He had a pretty decent year but 12.5 per year good? For another 4 years? I know I would not want that contract.

Camby they could move easily. Nene, I dont see where it is possible. So given that, if they DO have a mandate, then Camby has got to go. From a basketball perspective it would be stupid. Of course it makes them worse, but this would be a financial decision mandate from the guy who cuts the checks.

Maybe he decides otherwise and just bucks up and pays the tax to avoid backlash from the fans, but if not, he is RIPE for the taking.
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:07 pm
I gotta go with badabing on this one. Nene isnt expendable because of his bloated contract. Camby is a superstar player who is worth the money that he is making. Nene is a gamble that most teams wouldnt take.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:13 pm
12 points, 7 rebounds, and 1 block per game in less than 30 minutes a night doesn't grow on trees in this league.

Nene started in 41 games last season and averaged a 14.2 PPG (shooting 59%), 8.2 RPG, and 1.1 BPG clip in barely 31 minutes a night. Imagine if this kid went for 34 or 35 minutes a game. That's 16/9/1.5, which is good for ANY team. Also, take into consideration he averaged those numbers in a loaded lineup with Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson hucking up a combined 60 shots a game. You don't think Nene is capable of 18 points a game in the right environment?

His contract, at worst, is bloated, but, at best, its fair. Lots of teams would take a chance on him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:21 pm
He is in the same situation as Matt Barnes. Do you take a chance to trade for Nene because the two previous years he has had about 6.5 ppg and 5 rpg. I dont think that that is worth the contract that he has.

Matt Barnes was terrible for the past couple years before exploding this year. Most teams wont give him a chance calling it a fluke.

I am not saying that Nene's year was a fluke, but I dont think that most teams would take a chance on him.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:24 pm
32 wrote:Lots of teams would take a chance on him.

Again.. HOW? Keep in mind what both sides want to accomplish. Denver wants salary relief...ie. they do NOT want to take back any contracts.

To accomplish this, they would need to trade with a team that is 11 mill under the cap to absorb the salary without giving back contracts. What team is that far under the cap AND likes Nene so much they will absorb that contract?

I would be willing to venture that that total is ZERO
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:26 pm
Under the cap teams aren't the only option. I'm sure they'll take expirers, too.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:29 pm
sfsfsfgiants wrote:He is in the same situation as Matt Barnes. Do you take a chance to trade for Nene because the two previous years he has had about 6.5 ppg and 5 rpg. I dont think that that is worth the contract that he has.

Matt Barnes was terrible for the past couple years before exploding this year. Most teams wont give him a chance calling it a fluke.

I am not saying that Nene's year was a fluke, but I dont think that most teams would take a chance on him.

Also 32, while you say his stats are somewhat decreased because Melo and AI take so many shots, you can also make the argument that his stats benefit from those two. I saw so many times where AI or Melo would beat there man forcing the defense to collapse to stop the penetration only for Melo or AI to dish to Nene for the easy uncontested dunk/layup. I am not sure he has the offensive game to create a ton of shots for himself, but if you pay him like that, you better be sure he can.

Sometimes being the 3rd, 4th, or 5th guy on a team with 2 superstars INFLATES your stats... certainly shooting %. Maybe on a crappy team he could avg 18 pts/game but his shooting % would drop a TON.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:32 pm
32 wrote:Under the cap teams aren't the only option. I'm sure they'll take expirers, too.

That would not work as the tax is calculated the day of the last regular season game. It would help them the following season but anyone on the roster the last day of the season counts towards the luxury tax. The owner has stated he wants to be under the tax threshold THIS upcoming season. Expiring contracts dont expire till after the NBA finals sometime... the OFFICIAL end of the season.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:34 pm
Nene can expect to get 12, 13 points per game, and maybe 7,8 rebounds. I wouldnt pay 12 mill a year for that.
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:31 pm
Hey 32, what about something like this..

In order to give Denver incentive, we do a sign and trade with MP going to Denver for Reggie Evans. Then we trade them our trade exemption for Camby.

They get a perimeter defender which they need badly and they get rid of Evans who is awful and his terrible contract. Maybe that would give them some incentive to make the deal.

Of course we then get that almost 5 mill evans contract for the next 3 years or so to rot on our bench, but we would have the interior defender and rebounder we need to take the next step.
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 am
I have stated in another thread a few weeks ago that Pietrus for Calderon would be great and finally get us a backup (often starting) PG for Baron. Not sure whether the raps would go for this anymore as they have recently signed Kapono and still have the likes of Joey Graham, Luke Jackson and Anthony Parker.

That Monta to the Bucks trade may as well have been a funny joke.

Camby for the 10 million exception could be a real possibility, as I have said before, and now is the best chance to get him. Camby at PF and Biedrins at Center would finally give a great interior defense.

Barnes likely will sign for the MLE, if he doesn't sign for higher elsewhere. If he does, Mullin will sign some other freeagent with the MLE

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:36 am
sfsfsfgiants wrote:I gotta go with badabing on this one. Nene isnt expendable because of his bloated contract. Camby is a superstar player who is worth the money that he is making. Nene is a gamble that most teams wouldnt take.

Can see mullin getting Nene instead for the 10 million exception. Just an awful risk

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:01 am
I really hope they dont get Nene. I dont think that he would give them the type of player that they need, and I think he is a one year wonder.

Camby at power forward...? He is the prototypical center (11 ppg, 12 rpg, 3 bpg). He would be a good player at center, but I dont think I would like him at power forward.
Last edited by sfsfsfgiants on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:10 am
badabing8888 wrote:Hey 32, what about something like this..

In order to give Denver incentive, we do a sign and trade with MP going to Denver for Reggie Evans. Then we trade them our trade exemption for Camby.

They get a perimeter defender which they need badly and they get rid of Evans who is awful and his terrible contract. Maybe that would give them some incentive to make the deal.

Of course we then get that almost 5 mill evans contract for the next 3 years or so to rot on our bench, but we would have the interior defender and rebounder we need to take the next step.

Definately sounds more tangible. I just don't believe Denver will give up 12 RPG and 3 BPG for absolutely nothing. Their fans would be furious.

If it were cap space for free agency or resigning purposes, that'd be one thing. But if its just to save the owners a little cash? No fan base would go for that.
PreviousNext

Return to Trades