Darko

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 am
I am sure you guys have all seen the rumors of Nelly having interest in Darko, so wanted to open up a discussion on him.

I have seen some comments on this board that have been pretty negative towards him. He certainly has not lived up to his draft hype and seems like he has become kind of a poster child for draft busts.

All that aside, would like to try to disect his game instead of just "he sucks" comments. I have probably only seen him play maybe 5 times so I am looking to get educated.

Here are my observations from my limited viewing....

* He is one BIG dude.
* Seems to be a really good shot blocker and keeps the ball in play on his blocks. It almost seems like he blocks shots on accident it looks so effortless at times
* For his size, it appears he has pretty good feet and decent quickness
* The games I saw, he consistently nailed the mid range jump shot. His shot looks very fluid.
* Did not look to be a dominant rebounder for his size but his size alone makes him at least adequate.

I guess I see him as a 13,8,2.5 type of guy that will occasionally have a monster game like 28,15,5 but then will dissapear at times. If his asking price is close to 10 mil I would not even consider it, but if it was around 7 mil, I would take a long look at him. Certainly would give us the beef we need for the more physical teams we face but yet does not sacrifice what we like to do offensively if it was just a big plodding type center.

So lets hear from people that have actually watched him play at least a handfull of times
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 am
I'd rather resign Biedrins than spend all that money on Darko...
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:29 am
32 wrote:I'd rather resign Biedrins than spend all that money on Darko...

32, NO DOUBT!

The intention of this thread is not really "Should the Warriors" get him but rather an honest disection of his game. It is really easy to just say he sucks but I have just not seen him play enough to say that and when I have seen him, he seems to have some nice skills.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 am
The times I've seem him play, he has shot less than .400. That's not acceptable for a big man. And even less when he takes lots of ill-advised shots.

Also, his rebounding is... well, weird, for a lack of a better term. 13 boards one day, 2 the next one. His average of 5 proves he's not exactly reliable. And that's 5 boards per game in the east...

Decent shot-blocker. That's a fact. He won't become Alonzo Mourning, but he's a good shot blocker.

Not a good free throw shooter. Although I think he should improve just by working on it. Seems more like lack of focus than anything.

I'm not a big fan of him. Not because he lacks skills, but because he always (at least, in every game I've seen, although it was more obvious on his national team) tries to do too much, like if he needed to live up to the hype of his draft days...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:31 am
Oh. In that case...

Darko is a shot-blocking machine with range. He's huge, very skilled, and a bit clumsy. Not as good a rebounder as you'd like, but he makes up for it by swatting 3 shots in limited minutes. I think he's still a project and I'm not sure what he'll turn into. Could be great, could be an overpaid bench player. After Nene's great season last year, anything's possible... and I'm sure thats what his reps are telling everyone.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:51 am
TMC/32,

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate it.

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:02 am
I've watched a lot games last year of the Magics because of Dwight Howard. I noticed that Darko never really have a role on that particular team, and from my perspective he never played alongside Dwight that much. I'm not sure why that is but when they were playing together, the interior defense was amazing, the other team would literally just jack up jump shots...

Nevetheless, Darko potential is fairly high and its up to him to improve his game but I don't think he has peaked yet. In the right system he can become a very productive player. I'm not sure about his stats but he never looked comfortable with the Magics.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 am
~W~ wrote:Nevetheless, Darko potential is fairly high and its up to him to improve his game but I don't think he has peaked yet. In the right system he can become a very productive player. I'm not sure about his stats but he never looked comfortable with the Magics.

That's true. I saw like 2 or 3 games of the Magic last year and he never looked like confortable with them. If you say that you have seen a lot of games of them, I guess that was the usual for the whole season and not just a few off games.
Last edited by TMC on Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:59 am
Darko so far has not proven he is nba starting material. He looks like a player that is best suited coming off the bench for a few minutes as an energiser, blocking shots and hustling. He has some skills but he doesn't seem that coordinated and calm. Don't see him as anymore than a shotblocker that can have great games every couple of months or so. I admit, I haven't seen more than 5 full games of him but from other footage and recaps, he isn't a consistent player at all. Future is a relative unknown for Darko as he may or may not become a permanent contibutor to a team

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 pm
He wants 10 mil? Eh... no thanks. I'd like him though. He may just find a home here. He has the body to play in our style and yet he's never played in high tempo style at Orlando or Detroit. Then again it may be hard to judge him thanks to the loaded 2003 draft class. He's played in two styles nearly similar, I think it's time we see this kid play high tempo. Maybe he'll fit. He may just as well be another Chauncey Billups just waiting for the correct fit.

Return to Trades