KG to Warriors Trade Rumor

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:25 pm
The trade rumor that I have heard from ESPN.comamong many other pretty reliable sources is as follows:

The W's would send the draft rights of Brandan Wright, Monta, Al Harrington (Wolves wanted Biedrins, but we will only offer Al), and Patrick O'Bryant to the T'Wolves in exchange for...Kevin Garnett!!! I have also read quite a bit explaining that the catch with many of the other "debunked" rumors is that Minnesota wants to dump the rather lengthy contract of the virtuall unwanted G-Troy Hudson.

In order to make this happen the Warriors would have to throw in Sarunus Jasikevicius (his is the only contract that seems to add up).

The dubs got a $10 million dollar trade exemption in the (sad but necessary) J-Rich trade. Not only is adding Foyle to the trade unnecessary...its crazy, the Wolves would never take him.

And for all of the doubters (which I was before) hear this out...The J-Rich trade happened before the draft even started, so the Warriors technically made the #8 selection. Why would the Warriors trade for a player's draft rights that they didn't even work out? A player that Minnesota was definatley trying to obtain the pick so that they could draft him? And after Charlotte said "NO!" to the 3 team deal, why would the Warriors also trade away Richardson to get a $10 million exemption. They did this all in order to take on a very large contract.

Since the Wolves had no interest in J-Rich as part of the trade, Mullin went the long way and created his own "3-team trade". The chips are all lined up...it is now up to Minnesota to pull the trigger on this one.
Role Player
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:52 pm
So what happens in two years when Garnett opts out, Monta and Wright are tearing it up in Minnesota and we have nothing to show for this trade?

Keep the young guys and we'll be Western conference champs within 5 years.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm
Wouldn't be surprised if you are right but that is giving away too much for Garnett. McHale is the one in the awkward position and Mullin has the upper hand. If McHale wanted Atlanta's #3 and #11 picks before the draft, he'd be more than happy getting Harrington, BWright and the expiring contract of Jask. Foyle would have to be added but he is an expirer the following year. Throw in O'bryant if needed but that should be enough for McHale

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:09 pm
I agree that it is too much talent to give up, I really added this post to clarifiy a lot of trade ideas that just seem to be ridiculous.

I was simply adding the trade rumor that has the most chance of happening.

Am I incorrect in understanding that the trade exemption would make it unecessary to add Foyle to the deal? The numbers seem to add up with Harrington, O'Bryant, Jasikevicius, and of course Wright for Garnett and Hudson.

What is your take on Hudson? I don't know much about him, did he just not produce? How did he get such a lengthy deal?
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 pm
sleandres wrote:I agree that it is too much talent to give up, I really added this post to clarifiy a lot of trade ideas that just seem to be ridiculous.

Am I incorrect in understanding that the trade exemption would make it unecessary to add Foyle to the deal? The numbers seem to add up with Harrington, O'Bryant, Jasikevicius, and of course Wright for Garnett and Hudson.

What is your take on Hudson? I don't know much about him, did he just not produce? How did he get such a lengthy deal?

No, the numbers dont even come close. First of all, you can not package the trade exception with a player. It may be true that to make the deal, they will want to make a 2nd deal to take a bad contract or two. In this case, we would trade them some of our exception to take on Hudson's contract. But first, we need to make a trade for Garnett and in that trade, we would need to trade them back equal salary since both teams are over the cap.

Garnett makes 22 mil in salary. He also has a 6.5 mill trade kicker that would conver instantly to his salary figure if he is traded. That would make a total of 28.5 mill in salaries we would need to trade back. The guys you mention come out to around 16 mill. Not even close.

Now that being said, Garnett could chose to waive his trade kicker making it a bit closer but even still, we would need to give up more. I am not buying this trade rumor at all. The numbers just dont work.

And another thing, if Minn wanted B Wright so bad, why didn't they just draft him. After all, they did have the pick right before Wright got selected.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:00 am
badabing8888 wrote:
sleandres wrote:I agree that it is too much talent to give up, I really added this post to clarifiy a lot of trade ideas that just seem to be ridiculous.

No, the numbers dont even come close. First of all, you can not package the trade exception with a player. It may be true that to make the deal, they will want to make a 2nd deal to take a bad contract or two. In this case, we would trade them some of our exception to take on Hudson's contract. But first, we need to make a trade for Garnett and in that trade, we would need to trade them back equal salary since both teams are over the cap.

Garnett makes 22 mil in salary. He also has a 6.5 mill trade kicker that would conver instantly to his salary figure if he is traded. That would make a total of 28.5 mill in salaries we would need to trade back. The guys you mention come out to around 16 mill. Not even close.

Now that being said, Garnett could chose to waive his trade kicker making it a bit closer but even still, we would need to give up more. I am not buying this trade rumor at all. The numbers just dont work.

That's right, the trade exception has to be used on its own and will have to be used to get a player like Hudson (haven't checked if he is an expirer but if he isn't, not worth it at all) and then a separate trade to get Garnett, using Harrington, BWright, Jask and Foyle (throw in a future 1st rounder or O'bryant) would work. Making these two separate deals would be to get salary off McHale (the sweetner). Ricky Davis apparently is an expirer as well and with the drafting of Brewer and the presence of McCants, they can offord to give him up.

badabing8888 wrote:And another thing, if Minn wanted B Wright so bad, why didn't they just draft him. After all, they did have the pick right before Wright got selected.

Looks like Mullin already had spoken to McHale and may have had this deal organised to a certain extent. McHale is going young and he may see BWright as a great replacement for Garnett

All Star
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:13 pm
I have heard that the Warriors have to come within 25% of KG's contract, according to my calculation is a little under $16 mil (assuming he waives the kicker) is this correct?

If it is, does it make sense to trade AH, Monta, Foyle, and POB? Would McHale likley go for that?

I think if we were willing to use the exemption on say Ricky Davis it wouldn't be enough...they would probably want us to take the final 2 years/ $2.2 o Madsen's contract.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:36 pm
sleandres wrote:I have heard that the Warriors have to come within 25% of KG's contract, according to my calculation is a little under $16 mil (assuming he waives the kicker) is this correct?

If it is, does it make sense to trade AH, Monta, Foyle, and POB? Would McHale likley go for that?

I think if we were willing to use the exemption on say Ricky Davis it wouldn't be enough...they would probably want us to take the final 2 years/ $2.2 o Madsen's contract.

Think you're right but the salaries have to be around 20 million and Garnett must waive the trade kicker or it wil make it that much harder. Harrington has to be included in the deal, as well as BWright because either KG or Amare (which ever one is obtained) will get over 35 minutes a game. As I've said, Jask is an expirer at about 4 million and Foyle expires the year after at about 6-6.5 million and they would have to be used to make up the salaries. Throw in O'bryant, as McHale needs another Center, and the deal would be done

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:10 am
Here are a few helpful tips to keep in mind while you're wading through "Garnett-to-the-Warriors" trade rumors all offseason:

(1) Any trade where Monta Ellis is being demanded instead of Andris Biedrins is horseshit.

Think about it. Last season, Minnesota drafted Randy Foye who is, basically, a Monta Ellis clone. This year, they take Corey Brewer who is projected as one of the best wingmen in the draft. On top of that, they just let go of Mike James because its clear they want a REAL point guard; not another shoot-first guy who was born 6'3". Its pretty clear, at this point, the Timberwolves aren't looking to get back another undersized scorer in exchange for KG; they'll be eye-balling big men like Andris Biedrins, a future star center.

(2) But... but!!! If they want big men, we'll just throw in Al Harrington!!!

No. Stupid. Al Harrington will be thrown in, regardless, due to his contract... but the Timberwolves aren't going to go for a trade where Big Al's the meat of the deal. A combination of Monta Ellis and Al Harrington doesn't get their attention. If the Timberwolves had their way, they'd get Biedrins, Harrington, AND Monta... but, as it stands, Mullin won't part with both of his young studs for KG.

(3) But what if it's the best deal Minnesota could get for KG!?!? Look at the SHAQ TRADE!!!!

Again. Wishful thinking. The Celtics are willing to give them Al Jefferson (a stud PF) and an expiring contract that would all but eliminate Garnett's money completely from the books. Minnesota would rather have a stud big man (with cap space) than a stud little man (and no cap space).

(4) Is Brandan Wright for sure gonna be included?

Not for sure. It really depends on who Minnesota takes back. For example, we won't trade Harrington, Biedrins AND Wright... but if Minnesota is willing to take Adonal Foyle's contract back instead of Harrington's, we'd probably throw in Wright to sweeten the deal back up for Minny. Foyle's soon-to-be-expiring contract, along with a stud PF and a stud C, would likely be enough to land KG. Biedrins, Wright, Foyle, and draft picks are probably our best bet.

(5) What about the trade exception!!??

Can't be combined with another player's salary, so it won't likely play a part in the Garnett trade (unless we use it to nab an expirer beforehand).
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:40 pm
Im going on record and saying a trade that includes Monta, Wright AND Harrington is too much for KG. We are left with no bench and a hole at SG. I doubt Belly is going to be a stud his first year and even if he is we have no bench.

That means Baron plays more minutes than he should and that means he gets injured mid-season and that means we fighting for a playoff spot.

Dont do it Mully.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:20 pm
The more time goes by, the better bargaining power Mullin has. BWright will interest McHale very much because he has chosen the path of rebuilding with young players and draft picks. Harrington is a very good player that McHale can use and would fit in well with the young guys. Expiring contracts are valuable and so McHale will take at least one.

Hope Mullin goes the Amare or Gasol avenue but I expect him to have a deal done with McHale very soon

Role Player
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:53 pm
migya wrote:The more time goes by, the better bargaining power Mullin has. BWright will interest McHale very much because he has chosen the path of rebuilding with young players and draft picks. Harrington is a very good player that McHale can use and would fit in well with the young guys. Expiring contracts are valuable and so McHale will take at least one.

Hope Mullin goes the Amare or Gasol avenue but I expect him to have a deal done with McHale very soon

I hope your wrong about having a deal done very soon. Giving up two out of Monta, AB, or BWright is too much. I say at most give up one of the three, plus Harrington, Jackson and whatever else it takes to make the deal work financially. Then in a separate trade take one of their bad contracts off their hands with the trade exception.

Any more than that and they are sacrificing their fututre for two years of deep playoff runs, but most likely no championships.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:22 am
Dubs4life wrote:
migya wrote:The more time goes by, the better bargaining power Mullin has. BWright will interest McHale very much because he has chosen the path of rebuilding with young players and draft picks. Harrington is a very good player that McHale can use and would fit in well with the young guys. Expiring contracts are valuable and so McHale will take at least one.

I hope your wrong about having a deal done very soon. Giving up two out of Monta, AB, or BWright is too much. I say at most give up one of the three, plus Harrington, Jackson and whatever else it takes to make the deal work financially. Then in a separate trade take one of their bad contracts off their hands with the trade exception.

Any more than that and they are sacrificing their fututre for two years of deep playoff runs, but most likely no championships.

Pretty sure Mullin is working near 24 hours to get the deal for Garnett done. Hope he doesn't fall for any demands by McHale, who will see the want of Mullin and use that to get more from him. Reckon if Mullin does use the trade exception, or part of it, to get one of the TWolves' bad contracts, like Hudson's, McHale should accept less. I have stated what I think is a reasonable proposal for Garnett, in light of the rumour that McHale was willing to take just the Hawks #3 and #11 lottery picks just before the draft. Getting Harrington and BWright (the real talent of the trade) along with Jask (an expirer), and even Foyle (an expirer in two years) would give talent and contracts that can be used in trades or just let expire thus creating room to resign the young guys they have whose contracts will be up ie McCants next year, Foye in two years, Brewer and BWright in three years.

Gasol or Amare is the better option on all levels; salary, contract length giving security and youth

All Star
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:38 pm
I thought about this offer after Wright signed and more knowledge comes out. 1) does it work 2) would Minny do it and 3) would you want it.

-Pietrus sign and trade for (he and Barnes might be interchangeable here) 5 mil
-Darko in a sign and trade for 7 mil
-POB (hopefully after he destroys summer league) ~ 2 mil
-Trade Monta to another team for an unprotected first and ship that to Minny (I assume this can be had considering what the Hawks offered. Maybe Boston's considering Ainge is in win now mode)
-Cabbage ~ 4 mil expiring
-Harrington ~ 8.5 mil
-Our top 5 protected 09 first

for

-KG 22 mil
-Hudson or Jaric (whoever they like less, for the sake of this though I'll say Hudson or we'd be too thin at PG) ~ 6 mil

It comes out to 26.5 mil for 28 mil so it works out salary wise, I believe.

Minny was going to trade KG for #3 and #11. In this trade they get a past #2 and #9, at the PF and C positions (which they know they need help it), 2 future firsts, and some cap help. Warriors remain thin, but we get a shot at KG while holding onto 2/3 of our future while filling in the rest of the roster with D leaguers (who I feel are underrated given what Azu showed us last year).

The lineups:

Minny;

Foye/Cabbage/Jaric?
McCants/Pietrus/Jaric
Brewer/Davis
Howard/Harrington/Smith/Madsen
Darko/POB/Blount

2 first rounders in 08 (their's plus team 3's), 2 first rounders in 09 (their's
plus ours)

GSW:

Baron/Hudson/10 day contracter
Belly/Azu
SJax/Barnes?
KG/Wright/Lasme
Beans/Kosta/Foyle

1 first rounders in 08 (ours), 0 first rounders in 09
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:11 pm
Alot of fuking aroung there Thunder. I understand what you're saying but the thing is, having Garnett and BWright on the same team is awkward and McHale will want him above everyone else right now. As I've said, Harrington, BWright, O'bryant, Jask and Foyle (for fillers) would do it. Jask is an expirer and there is a team option for foyle in two years so he is an expirer the following year, giving McHale plenty of cap room to resign young guys McCants, Foye and then set up to resign BWright, Brewer and any other rookie he may get.

Thing is ofcourse, getting garnett for only one year guaranteed is too risky. Rather get Gasol or Amare

Next

Return to Trades