J-Rich trade makes sense

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:54 am
You never like to trade a player like J-Rich. But this makes sense. We have a log-jam at his position--Barnes, Pietrus, and Ellis can take more minutes now. We were going to have a hard time signing all those guys. Now we can. Or--the large trade exception (9-10M$) that this trade creates makes another major deal a real possibility. Don't be surprised if there is another deal soon. Plus the player we got looks pretty good. 14.7 PPG on 64% FG, 6.2 REB, and 1.8 Blocks in the ACC as a freshman...not bad.

But the salary cap situation is sweetest part of this deal. Let's see what else happens.

This is not a repeat of Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens for at least two reasons off the top of my head: When Richmond was traded for Owens, the Warriors did not get a big salary cap relief as part of the deal. With this deal, they do. Big Time. Also, when we traded Mitch, we didn't have a bunch of other guys who were going to be challenging him for minutes anyway. This time, we do. Plus, Brandon Wright looks like he might be an ass-kicker. So I guess that's three reasons.

I expect another deal at some point. The trade exception is good for one year. We could conceivably make another big trade--made possible because of the exception. You know who I'm thinking about. Or, team management might truly believe in Brandan Wright. He looks pretty good from what I've seen.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:31 am
rise, Purvis, rise wrote:You never like to trade a player like J-Rich. But this makes sense. We have a log-jam at his position--Barnes, Pietrus, and Ellis can take more minutes now. We were going to have a hard time signing all those guys. Now we can.

Great. Now we have money to re-sign several guys that are a lot worse than the one we traded. Makes a lot of sense. We shouldn't even think of re-signing Pietrus, Barnes only for cheap... and now we don't have any other option than paying a sh*tload of money to Ellis. Where's the cap relief if we're gonna use it on them?

And I doubt Brandan Wright will ever become a star. He's a Marvin Williams clone. Does he have the potentil to be a star?. Sure... but that doesn't mean he'll be one. I certainly don't see him as one.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:39 am
Mullin also sent the first of the 2nd rounders to the Bobcats and he ws a bigger PF player. Wonder what Mullin though of achieving in this draft

migya make the ring fall on ya

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:57 pm
TMC & migya...you guys post on here more than anyone. You would think that people so interested in hoops would understand something about how the salary cap affects how and why trades get done. In time you will see the logic of this deal, I am sure. And TMC--are you serious when you say "we shouldn't even think of re-signing Pietrus"? That's nuts.
Role Player
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:31 pm
you know who Bwright remind me of, he remind me of a chris bosh, cus when bosh first got out of collage his Weight was 210 and going on to average 11 point and 7.4 his rookie season.Bwright just need to put on more muscle weight
This is the year
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:33 am
rise, Purvis, rise wrote:TMC & migya...you guys post on here more than anyone. You would think that people so interested in hoops would understand something about how the salary cap affects how and why trades get done. In time you will see the logic of this deal, I am sure.

I see the logic in the deal. Just think it was the wrong way to create cap. J-Rich's contract was a great contract for a player or his level. Almost a bargain. If we were looking for cap, Al Harrington should have been the one dealt. Also, keep in mind that Cabbage is an expirer and will free up another $4 million.

rise, Purvis, rise wrote:And TMC--are you serious when you say "we shouldn't even think of re-signing Pietrus"? That's nuts.

Why?. Let him go. It's not like we're going to be much worse if the dumbest player in the NBA leaves...
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:43 am
rise, Purvis, rise wrote:TMC & migya...you guys post on here more than anyone. You would think that people so interested in hoops would understand something about how the salary cap affects how and why trades get done. In time you will see the logic of this deal, I am sure.

Understand we are the moderators so we try to be on here as often as possible and take part in most conversations.

In time, maybe, maybe BWright will turn into the PF we always needed but right now, he has major weaknesses in his game, like jumpshot and strength. Chris Bosh is slender but his jump shot is one of his most effective weapons.

JRich was an already well rounded, proven player that filled a need which was rebounding (which he did great from the SG position), scoring and three point shooting (arguably the best on the team). His departure creates a big hole in the backcourt that will have to be filed by a rookie that is known for his outside shooting and not much else, Monta, who is a slashing player that regressed defensively and with his outside shot from his rookie season or by someone else Mullin either signs or trades for. I think he will resign Pietrus and might actually start him at times at SG

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades