Rumor of trade for Atlanta's #3 pick

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:51 pm
Well, more speculation than anything...

Not sure how I would feel about this but if they DID do this and drafted Yi, I would litteraly PUKE. But if they selected Al Horford, I think I could get behind that.

Code: Select all
In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard.

"A lot of the staff there likes Acie Law," one rival executive said, "but Billy has never been sold."

For now, Horford, the 6-foot-10 forward, is expected to be Atlanta's choice at No. 3, but the Hawks will be entertaining trade offers through Thursday's draft. One trade possibility that was discussed but never came together, two league sources said, was Golden State's suggestion that point guard Monta Ellis could be available in a package for the third overall choice.

The Warriors are believed to be intrigued with drafting Yi and are still running scenarios past lottery teams with the hopes of moving up from No. 19.
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:57 pm
badabing8888 wrote:Not sure how I would feel about this but if they DID do this and drafted Yi, I would litteraly PUKE.

My feelings exactly. Monta for Yi?, wtf??? I can live with Horford, too, but not Yi.

Also, it doesn't make sense for Atlanta. Monta's not the kind of player they should be looking to add to that team. They need a true PG and help inside, not another scorer...
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:02 pm
TMC wrote:
badabing8888 wrote:Not sure how I would feel about this but if they DID do this and drafted Yi, I would litteraly PUKE.

My feelings exactly. Monta for Yi?, wtf??? I can live with Horford, too, but not Yi.

Also, it doesn't make sense for Atlanta. Monta's not the kind of player they should be looking to add to that team. They need a true PG and help inside, not another scorer...

Yeah, Monte does not seem like a good fit with Joe Johnson. They really do need a pure PG. Just not too much news linking the W's to ANYTHING so I will post anything I come across so we can discuss.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:06 pm
badabing8888 wrote:Well, more speculation than anything...

Not sure how I would feel about this but if they DID do this and drafted Yi, I would litteraly PUKE. But if they selected Al Horford, I think I could get behind that.

Code: Select all
In a lot of ways, the NBA draft doesn't start until the Atlanta Hawks make their choice at No. 3. Whatever the public pressure to take a point guard, rest assured this: They won't be drafting Mike Conley Jr. that high.

After watching him toss brick after brick in Monday's workout with Al Horford and Noah, Atlanta officials had no reason to re-visit a decision they made weeks ago. It isn't that they're not intrigued with Conley, but forget making him the third overall selection. In fact, the Hawks are hoping that if Conley slips past Memphis at No. 4 and Minnesota at No. 7, he will drop down to them at No. 11.

If Conley doesn't make it that far, several league sources said Billy Knight's infatuation with Luke Ridnour will result with the 11th pick being traded to Seattle for the Sonics point guard.

"A lot of the staff there likes Acie Law," one rival executive said, "but Billy has never been sold."

For now, Horford, the 6-foot-10 forward, is expected to be Atlanta's choice at No. 3, but the Hawks will be entertaining trade offers through Thursday's draft. One trade possibility that was discussed but never came together, two league sources said, was Golden State's suggestion that point guard Monta Ellis could be available in a package for the third overall choice.

The Warriors are believed to be intrigued with drafting Yi and are still running scenarios past lottery teams with the hopes of moving up from No. 19.

[b]Doesn't seem to carry much weight, they can't even get the Warriors Draft Order right... 19?
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:13 pm
Yi would be a complete disaster. If moving up to 3rd is the idea, then Horford should be our man. I'd love to have him, he'd be perfect with Beans. I wouldn't trip about Oden and Durant in the northwest as much anymore. But Yi is too much of a smokescreen, and that's not a player we should take a chance on. He's pure media hype.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 pm
xbaywarrior wrote:Yi would be a complete disaster. If moving up to 3rd is the idea, then Horford should be our man. I'd love to have him, he'd be perfect with Beans. I wouldn't trip about Oden and Durant in the northwest as much anymore. But Yi is too much of a smokescreen, and that's not a player we should take a chance on. He's pure media hype.

Also, keep in mind Mullin never says what he really thinks to the media. Everybody was oblivious to his intentions last year, and they become clear just the day before the draft when POB had a personal workout for him. I don't believe anything from "league sources" til it happens.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:06 am
Doubt there is any validity to this and do expect the Hawks to get Conley with the third pick, they need a PG that much. Getting Monta would be a coup for them as he and JJ can handle the point a bit. Mullin getting the third pick and getting Horford would be the best draft scenario but he'll likely get Yi instead

migya make the ring fall on ya
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 pm
That was incorrect. It was confirmed today that the Hawks offered their 11th pick.

I'm not sure where the Warriors can go with Monta. The top ten teams do not need him. Surely Portland and Seattle aren't giving up their picks. Atlanta doesn't want to give up the 3rd pick, they'd rather give up the 11th. The Grizzlies want a PG, and Conley is a much better option. The Celtics love Delonte West, love Rajon Rondo. The Bucks said they want a big and like to retain Mo Williams back. Minny has their own Monta version in Foye. Charlotte? Raymond Felton. Chicago? Hinrich. Sac-Town? Eh... NO!

I really believe Richardson is their best trade bait to be somewhere in the lottery picks. Monta is very expendable, but teams already have what he has or have a chance at something better.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:08 am
xbaywarrior wrote:That was incorrect. It was confirmed today that the Hawks offered their 11th pick.

I'm not sure where the Warriors can go with Monta. The top ten teams do not need him. Surely Portland and Seattle aren't giving up their picks. Atlanta doesn't want to give up the 3rd pick, they'd rather give up the 11th. The Grizzlies want a PG, and Conley is a much better option. The Celtics love Delonte West, love Rajon Rondo. The Bucks said they want a big and like to retain Mo Williams back. Minny has their own Monta version in Foye. Charlotte? Raymond Felton. Chicago? Hinrich. Sac-Town? Eh... NO!

I really believe Richardson is their best trade bait to be somewhere in the lottery picks. Monta is very expendable, but teams already have what he has or have a chance at something better.

I said this about the lottery teams in another thread and you are spot on. No team is in a real big need for a PG, except Hawks and to a lesser extent Memphis and Boston. JRich really is the best trade option but it has to be for a proper big

migya make the ring fall on ya

Return to Trades