garnett to LA? trade talks swirl

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:59 pm
Lakers, Wolves reportedly in talks regarding Garnett

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 25, 2007, 5:37 PM ET

If the Lakers are trying to get Kobe Bryant to change his mind about leaving, they're off to a good start.

The Los Angeles Times cited league sources on Monday saying that the Lakers and Minnesota Timberwolves are in discussions that could bring Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles.

Trade discussions have involved the Lakers, Wolves, Pacers and possibly a fourth team. The report says that the Lakers would get Garnett, while the Pacers would land Los Angeles forward Lamar Odom and center Andrew Bynum. The Wolves would likely acquire a lottery pick and young players. Another team would also have to be involved to make the deal work financially.

Sources told ESPN and ESPN.com that the fourth team at this point is the Celtics, who would get Jermaine O'Neal from the Pacers.

The Timberwolves will have to get enough in return to make this deal work, ESPN Insider's Chad Ford writes. He offers some possible scenarios. Blog Insider

According to the Times, Lakers owner Jerry Buss and Wolves owner Glen Taylor spoke on the phone for about 20 minutes on Friday. Buss then suggested that Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale carry on the discussions on Monday.

Bryant has repeatedly asked for a trade over the past month, saying that he doesn't feel that the Lakers are trying hard enough to improve. After losing in the NBA Finals four years ago, the Lakers missed the playoffs in 2004-05 and were out of the postseason in the first round the past two years.

Garnett has never publicly requested a trade despite the fact that the Wolves have struggled to remain competitive in recent years. Minnesota finished with a 32-50 record last season. The Wolves haven't been to the playoffs since 2004.

With Garnett able to opt out of his contract after next season, the time might be right for the Wolves to pull the trigger on a deal. McHale said last week that he has not been actively shopping his star, but that was a bit of a departure from previous statements in which he said he would not trade Garnett.

The 12-year veteran is owed $22 million next season and $23 million in 2008-09, the final year of his contract. He has requested an extension and the Times is reporting that Buss has told Taylor he would be willing to do that.

Garnett averaged 22.4 points, 12.8 rebounds and 4.1 assists last season. He is a 10-time All-Star.

Bynum's name has come up often in any trade talks concerning the Lakers recently. He averaged 7.8 points and 5.9 rebounds last season but is only 19 years old and 7 feet tall.

Odom averaged 15.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists last season, but he did miss 26 games because of injuries. He has shoulder surgery in May but is expected to return for next season.

Sounds like a pile of dung to me. From the timberwolves point of view, a lottery pick and young players for K.G.? I understand that they wont get fair value in return, but give me a break! The pacers getting Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom? This trade ain't happening and if for some bizarre reason it does, Kevin McKale should be fired immediately!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:35 pm
Agree with you completely, that's a garbage trade for the TWolves and the trade I proposed is much better for them. If they do want to start over with young players, I understand they would do this but the fan interest in Minnesota is completely because of KG. If the Celts were to get involved and they got Jermaine from Pacer, TWolves should get the Celts 5th pick, Gomes or Gerald Green, Perkins, Wally and also a future 1st rounder from Pacers. Celtics win big getting the star Center they need and Pacer get Odom and Bynum, likely making them a playoff team.

Don't think Garnett would want to go to Lakers, even if things with Kobe and Lakers were good

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:50 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:Sounds like a pile of dung to me. From the timberwolves point of view, a lottery pick and young players for K.G.?

Sounds like a typical McHale trade to me. Why this guy still has a job is beyond me. He alone has destroyed KG's career and Minny has lost two decades with him at the helm...

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:01 pm
Yeah..... Ohhhhhhhhh I get it, Ainge and McHale were teammates weren't they..... Sounds like McHale is trying to mold the Wolves into a young disaster that Ainge and the Celtics have created...
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:19 pm
We have McHale, a bonafied genius. :roll: We have Buss, a man who is desperate to find help so Kobe will stay and will start up absurb rumors. We have Bird, who's greatly known for his Einstein move back with the Warriors. And finally Ainge, who's been just as bad as a GM than McHale. Interesting.

Return to Trades