Harrington for Haslem and Simien

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:25 am
badabing8888 wrote:I think we are all undervaluing Harrington’s value to the W’s

Yeah, but that's probably because we would rather see him go instead of J-Rich, who seems to be the other option when it comes to trades.

Don't get me wrong, I like Al. I just think that, if we're going to trade someone, it better be Al. Still, it has to be a trade that makes sense, not trading just to shake things up.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:20 am
TMC wrote:
aletha33 wrote:agreed...

however, is there that much difference between haslem & al on defense?? i don't think so.

there's not really much of a comparison on offense too...sure, he's got a nice mid-range shot, but how many open looks have come courtesy of a double/triple team on shaq?

what haslem gains on D, al makes up on offense...

it's a wash...

Well, I consider Haslem a much better rebounder than Al, too. It's true that Al is (overall) a better player, but Haslem's strenghts come in areas we really need help. This would be a trade to improve as a team, not to improve the talent on the roster.

Haslem scored 10.3pts a game with Shaq missing most of the season and Wade missing the portion where Shaq played, not such a bad offensive output. Like TMC said, he just fits needs better and scoring is also a strength of the team and would continue to be with plenty of scorers

migya make the ring fall on ya
All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:38 am
migya wrote:
TMC wrote:
aletha33 wrote:agreed...

however, is there that much difference between haslem & al on defense?? i don't think so.

there's not really much of a comparison on offense too...sure, he's got a nice mid-range shot, but how many open looks have come courtesy of a double/triple team on shaq?

what haslem gains on D, al makes up on offense...

it's a wash...

Well, I consider Haslem a much better rebounder than Al, too. It's true that Al is (overall) a better player, but Haslem's strenghts come in areas we really need help. This would be a trade to improve as a team, not to improve the talent on the roster.

Haslem scored 10.3pts a game with Shaq missing most of the season and Wade missing the portion where Shaq played, not such a bad offensive output. Like TMC said, he just fits needs better and scoring is also a strength of the team and would continue to be with plenty of scorers

Not bad...certainly not good...

with shaq and/or wade missing, that's anywhere from 20 to 30 shots more for the rest of the team. yet, he averaged just 1.4 pts more than from the previous year.

and he doesn't play that great a defense. with shaq's presence on the floor, he'll be there to erase defensive mistakes and make anyone appear a better defender than he really is.

we'd gain nothing if we interchanged the two. the only advantage would be financial, like TMC said.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:54 pm
See Halsem needs very good scorers around him to get his offensive and doesn't really create for himself, which is why he'd work here. It's just the rebounding and defense that is the key with him and the fact the team needs those skills so much right now

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:05 am
Haslem, without Wade or Shaq, could only score 10 points a game.
Harrington, in Atlanta without ANY help, scored 18 points a games.

There's no comparison between the two, offensively. Haslem has a midrange jumper. That's it. Harrington can slash, spot up, shoot the long ball, get to the foul line, play the block, tip in second chance points, and distribute near the bucket.

I agree with aletha. Its a total wash. If anything, its a downgrade.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 pm
But you're missing the point that the team has plenty of offense already and desparately needs rebounding and defense. Haslem, with that jump shot, fits perfectly and is young so lkely to improve his weaknesses

All Star
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:10 pm
migya wrote:But you're missing the point that the team has plenty of offense already and desparately needs rebounding and defense. Haslem, with that jump shot, fits perfectly and is young so lkely to improve his weaknesses

Um, Haslem is only a couple months younger than Harrington. And the GS offense revolves around having all 5 players be offensive threats from all areas of the floor. So that makes this trade not good for us.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:28 am
JayPat wrote:
migya wrote:But you're missing the point that the team has plenty of offense already and desparately needs rebounding and defense. Haslem, with that jump shot, fits perfectly and is young so lkely to improve his weaknesses

Um, Haslem is only a couple months younger than Harrington. And the GS offense revolves around having all 5 players be offensive threats from all areas of the floor. So that makes this trade not good for us.

Pardon me, yes he is only slightly younger. Biedrins certainly isn't an offensive threat that scores from all areas of the floor :wink:

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:09 pm
badabing8888 wrote:I think we are all undervaluing Harrington’s value to the W’s. Maybe it is because of the way Boozer and the Jazz manhandled us or his poor performance in the Dallas series but we gotta remember that Al was put in a difficult position of playing Center for the last month of the season. Everyone knows he is NOT a center, but I think he did a remarkable job for playing out of position.

I agree he is not a great rebounder but he held his own on the defensive side of the ball. Sure he could not guard Boozer but neither could AB. Few people can stop Boozer. He is just too strong and the refs let him push and play very physical in that series. Lets not forget that Harrington held Yao to just 4 FG attempts in the Houston game. Some of that was scheme as we fronted Yao but Al totally frustrated Yao and didn’t ever let him get comfortable. It was really an amazing game from him.

I actually would like to see Al play more 3 man. He is actually a pretty good perimeter defender. His length and strength on the perimeter makes it very tough for opposing wing players. Al brings this team so much versatility and allows Nelson to do what he does best and mix and match lineups to create mismatches. He can play all 3 frontcourt spots and can do things few others can from those spots. We saw several times while playing C he got the rebound and just took off and led the break. Can Haslim do that? He can take the ball to the basket aggressively and can handle the ball well for his size. Can Haslim do that? He can extend the defense with range to the 3pt line (remember % wise he was our best 3 pt shooter). Can Haslim do that?

Haslim is a better rebounder and post defender, but Harrington is a WAY better offensive player, passer, ball handler, and perimeter defender and his versatility is off the chart. While we would gain a little toughness, we would love some of the freedoms in our lineup that Nelson thrives on.

I would not be adverse to including Al in the right deal (i.e. part of a package for KG) but I think we would miss him. After all, it was not just coincidence that we went on a tear once he got here. He is an important piece of the puzzle.

i totally agree. don nelson loves to create mismatches. although it is true that we have a lot of scorers...not everyone is going to hit all their shots and have a hot night. we are a run and gun team and we need to have as many capable scorers as possible who are offensive threats.

if haslem can average about 10 points per game... then MAYBE it could work, but I still think that having the option to use AL's mismatches (pulling out big guys to the perimeter, being able to guard smaller guys, etc) would benefit more overall.

don't get me wrong though, we still need to have our rebounding issue resolved. KG, AMARE, or GASOL are the only possible fits that i can think of right now.

That's me :D
Previous

Return to Trades