The Real Problems

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:38 pm
All this is predicated on this team's salary cap problems. They're over the cap and are extremely close to the luxury tax. With Cohan, basketball is a business. This team lacks depth, but from a financial standpoint, it can't afford to sign a bunch of free agents that are worth signing. I know this will cause tempers to flare on this board, but you have to realize that is all about putting together a team that can compete for a championship without going over the luxury tax. San Antonio won the champion but has nearly the identical salaries paid. Aside from the obvious, Tim Duncan, the Spurs are able to win games while going 11 deep in players. The Warriors used a 7 man rotation during the playoffs and were just worn out in the physical battle against Utah. Of course, the Warriors need a big man also.

Noone knows what Monta is really capable of. How many of you guys who have any kind of basketball skills have dribbled the ball off your foot with noone guarding you in a game? Well..Monta has and thats not a great sign for a guy people want to be the future point guard. Is this guy really going to be worth $8M a year? Thats something the W's have only 1 more year to evaluate because it may come down to one or the other with Biedrins or Monta, both whom are due for extensions at the same time. 7 footers like Biedrins that has soft hands and athletic abilities are much more rare than 6'3 combo guards that can score. So who would you pick?

I did some hard thinking and asked myself, who on this team could be replaced and not cause a serious downfall to the franchise. The players than played main roles in the playoff run were Davis, Jackson, Biedrins, and Barnes. Without either one of those guys, then this team would of been a lottery pick team. Ellis, Richardson, Pietrus, and Harrington all played minor roles while some less than others. The others were non-existent.

The Solutions - Move 1.

First off, the Warriors need some young front court players. Rebounders and shot blockers to play alongside Andris. I'm still a huge fan of Josh Smith and think he would be a perfect fit with his Shawn Marion-esque game. Moving a potential star in Ellis for a potential star in Smith may almost seem like a nice swap for both teams, due to needs. Marvin Williams is their future at the SF and Johnson is a 2 guard running point. Ellis fits right in.

Send Ellis, cash ($700K), and the 18th pick to Atlanta for Josh Smith and the 11th pick. This would give Atlanta the 3rd and 18th picks.

Move 2.

Phoenix wants to trade away one of their first rounders since they don't want to give out two guaranteed contracts. The Warriors have 2 second rounders (36th and 46th) that could swapped for the 24th pick of the draft from Phoenix.

Move 3.

Cleveland wants shooters. This past season, Harrington was among the best in that department and would fair well with Lebron and company. Varejao has been getting good minutes during the season and could take over the starting job with ease. Gooden is one of the best offensive rebounders in the league and averages 8 per game. Contrary to what I've heard from other posts, Gooden is no slowpoke. He's athletic, can run the floor, and block some shots. A perfect fit for this Warriors team. Send Harrington and Jaskevicious for Gooden, Jones, and Pavlovic.

Move 4.

Denver has been searching for a 2 guard for a long time. JR Smith is still too raw and has off court problems, like killing friends in car accidents. Richardson maybe just the guy they need. With Nene and Martin due back, they're shopping Camby around. Marcus is 31 years old but is still among the best rebounding and shot blocking. He still runs the floor like a deer also. Send Richardson for Camby and Kleiza.

Draft:

Pick 11 = Javaris Crittenton
Pick 24 = Marco Belinelli

2007/08 Line up

PG Davis / Crittenton / Jones
SG Jackson / Pavlovic / Belinelli
SF Smith / Barnes (re-signed)
PF Gooden / Kleiza
C Camby / Biedrins / Foyle
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:48 pm
very well thought out and most I think are pretty realistic. Not that I agree with everything in your post but I think it is a well thought out and great post. Nice work.
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:56 pm
LMAO at Atlanta trading Josh Smith AND A HIGHER PICK for Monta Ellis.
Last edited by 32 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:57 pm
32 wrote:LMAO at Atlanta trading Josh Smith AND A HIGHER PICK for Monta Ellis. ::lol:

Yeah, that would NEVER happen.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:52 pm
Monta is someone i dont want to let go.

21 years old.

Already pretty proven.

Cuts to the hoop like a young/healthy Iverson.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:47 pm
badabing8888 wrote:very well thought out and most I think are pretty realistic. Not that I agree with everything in your post but I think it is a well thought out and great post. Nice work.

Definately was well thought out but none of it would or should happen! Talk about riping the team to shreds in one ofseason.

I'd trade harrington to Cavs for a resigned Varejao and someone else, like Marshall. Maybe even be able to scam a future 1st rounder from them.

Camby is the Defensive Player Of The Year! Denver needs him so much, he ain't going anywhere. Like to get him for JRich but understand Mullin would have to give up another player, likely someone like Harrington's level to get Camby.

I like JSmith but Hawks won't let him go right now and for the forseeable future

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:19 am
32 wrote:LMAO at Atlanta trading Josh Smith AND A HIGHER PICK for Monta Ellis.

Yeah, that and Crittenton at #11 are extremely unrealistic.

Return to Trades