Nick Collison

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:58 am
Collison could fill the needs of rebounding and defense for the team and cheaply. Trading Pietrus for Collison would be ideal for both teams because with Rashard Lewis likely not staying in Seattle, Pietrus could play SF. Collison is similar to how Murphy was before he became the jump shooting, soft player he is now

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:10 am
I like Collison. With that said, few problems here:

1.- Why would Seattle trade him for MP?. They already have a clone of Pietrus in Gelabale (and a much cheaper one).

2.- Collison will be a BYC player this next season, the first of his new contract. Which makes any trade much harder.

3.- I'm not sure Collison is a good fit for Nellie-ball.

4.- We can get a similar player in the draft.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:36 am
TMC wrote:I like Collison. With that said, few problems here:

1.- Why would Seattle trade him for MP?. They already have a clone of Pietrus in Gelabale (and a much cheaper one).

2.- Collison will be a BYC player this next season, the first of his new contract. Which makes any trade much harder.

3.- I'm not sure Collison is a good fit for Nellie-ball.

4.- We can get a similar player in the draft.

Well firstly, this gets the team a player that fills the needs of defense and rebounding quite well. This gets something for Pietrus and Gelabale is yet to get the outside shot that Pietrus has and yet to develop the production that Pietrus has also. Gelabale will likely improve but in over 17mins a game, he didn't do much and Pietrus has him in everything except FT %. Sonics might like Pietrus so this could be viable. Sure, Mullin could draft a similar player to Collison but he might get someone that just doesn't do it. You never know what you're getting with a draft pick but you know what you are getting with an established player

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:57 pm
I haven't looked into our salary situation but I thought it was absolutely important that we let Pietrus walk for nothing to be able to sign Monta and Biedrins. Am I just confused on this?

Collison's contract is guaranteed through 2010/11:

07/08 $5,750,000
08/09 $6,250,000
09/10 $6,250,000
10/11 $6,750,000

I like the guy and I don't even think he's that overpaid but this is not a small contract. I don't think we want it.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:48 am
We don't. Collison would destroy our chemistry by killing the tempo with a dull spoon. It was a bad idea from the start. :wink:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:58 am
cladden wrote:I haven't looked into our salary situation but I thought it was absolutely important that we let Pietrus walk for nothing to be able to sign Monta and Biedrins. Am I just confused on this?

07/08 $5,750,000
08/09 $6,250,000
09/10 $6,250,000
10/11 $6,750,000

I like the guy and I don't even think he's that overpaid but this is not a small contract. I don't think we want it.

That's right. Next season will be the first of his extension. Which makes him difficult to trade (BYC player) and also becomes a problem when it comes to re-signing Monta and Biedrins.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:57 am
cladden wrote:I haven't looked into our salary situation but I thought it was absolutely important that we let Pietrus walk for nothing to be able to sign Monta and Biedrins. Am I just confused on this?

07/08 $5,750,000
08/09 $6,250,000
09/10 $6,250,000
10/11 $6,750,000

That is a pretty signinficant salary but I can see Mullin paying that to some like Varejao (my first choice) or even some punknut like Mikki Moore, if indeed he is looking to sign another big. At least Collison showed that he is good at what he does and that fils the needs of the team. Will be very hard to get a PF that can defend and rebound as well as run with the core guys

Role Player
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:27 pm
32 wrote:We don't. Collison would destroy our chemistry by killing the tempo with a dull spoon. It was a bad idea from the start. :wink:

No way. Collison runs the floor extremely well for a big man. At Kansas, he he played in a run and gun offense and was the co-NPOY. He has tremendous footwork and would be a great addition. He's a perfect fit, imo.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: -7
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:31 pm
Collison seems like he is coming into his own. He does run the floor pretty well and is a pretty dang good rebounder. I kinda like this idea however I dont know how we could make it work salary wise and player wise in a trade.
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:12 pm
badabing8888 wrote:Collison seems like he is coming into his own. He does run the floor pretty well and is a pretty dang good rebounder. I kinda like this idea however I dont know how we could make it work salary wise and player wise in a trade.

Sign and trade using Pietrus might work.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:55 am
Mitch Richmond wrote:Sign and trade using Pietrus might work.

Nope, due to Collison being a BYC player this season. Also, what motivation would Seattle have to trade Collison to Pietrus?

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:34 am
why would seattle want pietrus...the reason they are willing to get rid of Rashard Lewis is because they have a huge chance of getting Kevin Durant in the draft so why would they get another SF if they are trying to give up the one that they do have? It doesnt make any sense...collison would fit nicely, but rumour is that the Bulls are making a huge push for him right now.
Jee Ess Dubya
Role Player
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 am
You guys are right. It doesn't make any sense. I just really want Collison. I think he'd be perfect in our system. Funny thing is, we could have drafted him in 03. We took Pietrus with the 11th pick and Collison went 12th to Seattle. I'm not a big fan of Pietrus and I really hope we use him in a sign and trade.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:37 pm
Collison definately is nice and is a proven producer that seems to be getting better. As far as what would Pietrus give the Sonics? As I said before, he would do what he did here this season; energy and some scoring, rebounding and defense off the bench. The Sonics have a pretty bad bench and replacing Rashard with Durant doesn't improve the bench any. Throw in a 2nd rounder if needed but Collison is already proven to give what the team needs, a draft pick has not

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:55 am
migya wrote:Collison definately is nice and is a proven producer that seems to be getting better. As far as what would Pietrus give the Sonics? As I said before, he would do what he did here this season; energy and some scoring, rebounding and defense off the bench. The Sonics have a pretty bad bench and replacing Rashard with Durant doesn't improve the bench any.

Benches are overrated. The Knicks have a pretty deep bench (David Lee, Francis, Jamal Crawford, Balkman...) and still suck. Stars win games, not bench players.

As for the Sonics, they'd look to move Wilcox before moving Collison. That's for sure.
Next

Return to Trades