Trade for Gasol (Post Lottery)

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Starting Lineup
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:57 am
I read the previous trade thread about Gasol but that was before they sank out of the lottery.

Im pretty sure Memphis is in a state shock right now, they might have moved into depression mode, but pretty soon they are going to be mad as hell. So I say we use that to our advantage. Memphis is going to need do something big to have any type of positive momentum going into next season. Gasol has already said he wanted out.

We trade them JRich, Harrington, OBryant and this years first for Gasol and Swift and their 2nd this year (It works on trade checker). This automatically makes them more exciting (JRich slam dunk champ) and a whole new look. They can blast JRich, Harrington with Gay on their new promos. Draft either Conley or Horford at 4 and take 17 to address whatever they dindt address at 4. (Personally Id go Conley then Big at 17.) They even get a OBryant as a project Big man.

We get two bigs that we desperately need to pair with Baron, Monta and SJax. Resgn Barnes or Pietrus off the bench. Start Gasol next to AB and we are championship contenders.

Memphis:

PG. Conley Jr.
SG. JRich
SF. Rudy Gay
PF. Harrington
C. Either the guy they draft at 17, or a free agent. (OBryant in a year or two :wink: )

Regardless of who they start at C this team is better and more exciting than what they have now. Plus this team will bring new energy and life to the fanbase which equals more ticket sales.

Warriors:

PG. Baron
SG. Monta
SF. SJax
PF. Gasol
C. AB

6th man. Pieturs/Barnes
First Big off the bench Swift.

I know swift sucks but in our style he'd be a whole lot better. Gasol has great hands and can run. PLUS when we need to go big we can bring in Barnes/Pietrus and move SJax to SG.

This team wouldnt have lost to Utah and with Spurs getting older I think we'd be peaking at the right time.

Gasol is younger than KG so we'd get more cracks at the Chapmionship with him. I dont like JOneal (two injury prone superstars never good, just ask Orlando)

Whatcha Think
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:48 am
I understand you rationale for this trade but we would be giving up a fair bit. JRich and Harrington are both starters that score over 16pts a game and JRich is capable of doing better than he did last season, his career season so far. I'm really starting to think that (loyality aside, which means JRich) the team would be so much better with a star big, even if giving up JRich or Monta and one or two of the core 6 players. I'd rather see this current roster go a full season after what they have done but adding a real great big could really make the team a top team for some time

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:13 am
Trade them Monta, rather than Richardson, and remove Swift from the trade. They're more likely to go for that; Monta's younger and has tons of potential, but is already a proven 20 PPG scorer... to go along with Al, who'll also score for them. THAT's a championship contender.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Andris Biedrins

Suddenly, Memphis is a run-and-gun team, too:

PG - Conley
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Al Harrington
C - Stromile Swift
6th - Hakim Warrick
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:40 am
32 wrote:Trade them Monta, rather than Richardson, and remove Swift from the trade. They're more likely to go for that; Monta's younger and has tons of potential, but is already a proven 20 PPG scorer... to go along with Al, who'll also score for them. THAT's a championship contender.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Andris Biedrins

PG - Conley
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Al Harrington
C - Stromile Swift
6th - Hakim Warrick

I wouldn't make that trade if I were Memphis... That's a run & gun team that will lose 60 games per season. On the other side, I love the trade from our point of view. :wink:

Rookie
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:02 am
Gasol is overated in my mind. I think we need to keep Ellis. I know he had a bad playoffs but this guy his got incredible talent and is very young. 2 more years this guy could be an allstar. Gasol would not fit with the offense, he is way to slow. There is only 3 guys on the Warriors I would not trade and that is J-Rich and Monta and Baron. Those 3 are perfect in the backcourt and run the show so guys like Jax and Harrington and Beidrins can excel. Swingman are easy to find.
2008 NBA Champions..... GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:11 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:Trade them Monta, rather than Richardson, and remove Swift from the trade. They're more likely to go for that; Monta's younger and has tons of potential, but is already a proven 20 PPG scorer... to go along with Al, who'll also score for them. THAT's a championship contender.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Andris Biedrins

PG - Conley
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Al Harrington
C - Stromile Swift
6th - Hakim Warrick

I wouldn't make that trade if I were Memphis... That's a run & gun team that will lose 60 games per season. On the other side, I love the trade from our point of view. :wink:

If you were Memphis and you were completely starting over (which is what they'll do, should they trade Gasol), who looks more attractive to you:

Jason Richardson, an all-star caliber shooting guard whose known around the league as the Slam Dunk champion. It took him 6 seasons to hit the playoffs (which, pretty much, proves that he's incapable of taking a team there by himself).

... or Monta Ellis, the league's reigning "Most Improved Player". Young, out of high school, already a 20 PPG scorer getting exponentially better, one of the league's quickest guards, and a developing playmaker.

Either way, you get Harrington. If I'm Memphis, I take Monta and attempt to start over with Monta, Rudy Gay, and Hakim Warrick... rather than half-ass it to the playoffs with a team built around Al Harrington and Jason Richardson. No offesne (I love both those guys), but we'd be royally screwed if we weren't being led by Jackson and Davis. Those two are the leaders. Al and JRich are just the guns.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:09 pm
JRich or Monta? I still think Memphis would want JRich for the image factor and the ticket sales factor. Plus Monta and Conley Jr. would get killed on the defensive end. Only reason we can play Monta @ the 2 is because Baron is a Big 1 guard.

I like the original trade because we also get the back-up big man we need. After this trade our roster is set. We have the backups and the starters.

Swapping Monta for JRich and not taking back Swift we still are going to need the backup big without the money to sign him or talent to trade for him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:02 pm
We can aquire a backup big by paying Josh Powell the veteran minimum. That'd be a helluva lot cheaper than taking the financial coffin that is Stromile Swift's contract. We're finally getting Adonal Foyle off the books next year. Lets not rush into another long-term deal with a useless big.

And I think Memphis would rather bring in Monta Ellis over Richardson. First of all, JRich had a terrible regular season. Even when he WAS healthy, he was never playing like his former self. His knee surgery may scare off other teams. Plus, Monta Ellis would come in with tons of hype. He's one of the most sought after prospects in the league right now, he's carrying the MIP tag, he's cheap, and he's an amazing talent. Richardson has a long-term deal that won't expire for a while. Ellis is flexable and will structure himself a deal that may not get him JRich-level money.

I think Memphis' organization would much rather take Monta. When you disregard the popularity, fan-opinion factor, the choice is obvious.

... plus, I'd rather retain JRich. He's a sure thing... whereas, Monta's potential. Potential sells, but production doesn't grow on tree's. Trade Monta over Richardson anyday.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:44 am
32 wrote:And I think Memphis would rather bring in Monta Ellis over Richardson.

Sure. I'm just saying that this would be a terrible team:

PG - Conley
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Al Harrington
C - Stromile Swift
6th - Hakim Warrick

One of the worst by far. A lock for another top 3 pick (if the lottery allows it, that is). That team could score in bunches, but would be the worst defensive team of the whole league.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:38 am
TMC wrote:
32 wrote:And I think Memphis would rather bring in Monta Ellis over Richardson.

Sure. I'm just saying that this would be a terrible team:

PG - Conley
SG - Monta Ellis
SF - Rudy Gay
PF - Al Harrington
C - Stromile Swift
6th - Hakim Warrick

One of the worst by far. A lock for another top 3 pick (if the lottery allows it, that is). That team could score in bunches, but would be the worst defensive team of the whole league.

Then the Grizzlies should trade their Conley pick for a savy veteran point guard. Swift is a shot-blocker, there's not doubt, and Monta's a pesky man-to-man defender that draws a ton of charges. Add in a tough, smashmouth veteran PG... and you might have something.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:46 pm
I agree with #32 here. That Grizz lineup could be good but likely a loser as TMC said BUT the only hole there is at Center and they could get that in the next draft. Gay is going to blow up when he gets the chance and teamed with Monta and harrington, that is definately a team capable of scoring. I say they go with Monta at PG with MMiller at SG and draft a center with their pick, be it Noah, Splitter, whatever, go for that center now. If that drafted Center does his job, which would be mostly defend and rebound, great, if not, go for another one in the draft in coming years. That trade #32 mentioned works for both teams and as much as I want to see the current team go a full season and Monta stay here, he will likely want to be a starter once he resigns in a couple of years, that is the likely reality and understandable as he has the ability to be a starting guard for sure. The team risks losing him for close to nothing and right now, Gasol wants out so that is the chance to get the coveted big guy needed. It does work out and that is the thing

migya make the ring fall on ya
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:30 pm
Warriors4Life wrote:. There is only 3 guys on the Warriors I would not trade and that is J-Rich and Monta and Baron..

Exactly, they should be untouchables
ImageImage

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:36 pm
Vaz wrote:
Warriors4Life wrote:. There is only 3 guys on the Warriors I would not trade and that is J-Rich and Monta and Baron..

Exactly, they should be untouchables

so u guys are saying you wouldnt trade JRich for KOBE, or Baron for Nash or Monta for Dwayne Wade?!?!? Yea right....nobody is untouchable on the Warriors. its all about what u get in return, even after Baron superman performance end of this year his trade value still isnt as high as it could be, so instead of trading him for less than hes worth we keep him, but if right trade comes along we trade him in a heartbeat.

Only very few players are untouchable in the whole league.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:38 pm
32 wrote:I think Memphis' organization would much rather take Monta. When you disregard the popularity, fan-opinion factor, the choice is obvious.

Sorry buddy but those are things you can't disregard, would be nice if you could, but when thats who pays the bills you have to listen, or else you end up like the Hawks.
Rookie
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:11 pm
Money, JRich for KOBE, or Baron for Nash or Monta for Dwayne Wade are impossible trades...
ImageImage
Next

Return to Trades