Pietrus to Toronto: Trade or Blockbuster?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:08 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:With such a trade, we would have to do like the Suns and play 5 guys 40 plus minutes since there would be noone to back them up! One injury, to any player, and it is all over

Not really. O'Bryant's gonna back-up Biedrins sooner than later and we're resigning Matt Barnes. As TMC pointed out, its kind of already like that.

Plus, I expect Mully to take a player or two in the free agent market this year. Barnes will (hopefully) be resigned, but we've also got Azu, Zarko, Josh Powell, and Pietrus coming off the books... AND Cabbage is opting out. Right now, we've got SIX players that might not return. Mully will pick up SOMEBODY out there.

Nothing is for sure by a long shot. Barnes may resign somewhere else for fairly big money and if Mullin was to match, in one year he would have to resign Biedrins for big money (if he could) and the year after he would have to do the same with Bosh (if he could). That is where the shiit would hit the roof. Also, guys like Azu, Zarko etc, are not sure things so they may not be good enough getting increased minutes. Getting productive freeagents is always possible but you may never get ones good enough either. Barnes is a sure thing on the team right now and must be kept

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:13 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The team has been put together well and now the idea is to throw 1/4 of it, plus 2 future 1st rounders for a star who is not quite elite yet (undoubtably will be but had a pretty ordinary playoff showing) and might not be quite the inside player needed. Bosh is something special but without resigning Barnes and Azu (who I hope can be as good in more minutes as he would be playing after such a trade), the team would be depleted completely outside of the first 5 guys. Just a scary thought should one player happen to get injured

Come on, that was a tongue-in-cheek trade proposal by #32. There's no way Toronto would make that trade (which should be a hint about the value of the players included in the trade).

But my point is clear. No matter what happens, when you have to trade lesser players to get a star, you do it and look for replacements later. Period.

So Monta is nothing special?! Sounds like you're undervaluing potentially the best player of our team :wink: Harrington is no superstar but he is a very good productive role player that can be the second option, third option better suited. The team would lose it's 1st rounders in this draft and the next, coinciding with the resigning of Bosh and one year after the "attempted" resigning of Biedrins (may not happen if Mullin were to be preparing for the maximum contract Bosh would have to get).
Issues abound

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:30 pm
:shock: Did you just say Monta Ellis is potentially the best player on the team...???
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:45 pm
32 wrote::shock: Did you just say Monta Ellis is potentially the best player on the team...???

Your point?
Monta is already the 2nd best scorer on the team (for the season) in only his second season and will only get better. He is potentially the best on the team

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:32 am
migya wrote:Monta is already the 2nd best scorer on the team (for the season) in only his second season and will only get better. He is potentially the best on the team

So is POB. In fact, so is Perovic. "Potentially" means nothing at all. Right now, he's our 5th best player, and that's all he is.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Monta is already the 2nd best scorer on the team (for the season) in only his second season and will only get better. He is potentially the best on the team

So is POB. In fact, so is Perovic. "Potentially" means nothing at all. Right now, he's our 5th best player, and that's all he is.

Come on, now you are going way out there with a statement. Monta has now become a proven producer! As far as being only the 5th best player on the team, he's 4th best at worst!
I reckon 3rd best behind Baron and JRich, though that can be argued ofcourse

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:53 am
migya wrote:Come on, now you are going way out there with a statement. Monta has now become a proven producer!

Yeah, but he hasn't proved he's the best player on the team. If you're talking about potential, everybody has potential.

migya wrote:As far as being only the 5th best player on the team, he's 4th best at worst!

Baron, J-Rich & S-Jax for sure... and I would say Biedrins, but not after the way he ended the season. I'll leave it at 4th best.

Hey, what about Pietrus? :mrgreen:
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:02 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Come on, now you are going way out there with a statement. Monta has now become a proven producer!

Yeah, but he hasn't proved he's the best player on the team. If you're talking about potential, everybody has potential.

Well, my definition of potential is a player that really has shown (be in high school, college or/and nba) that he can be real good, so not everyone :wink:

TMC wrote:
migya wrote:]
As far as being only the 5th best player on the team, he's 4th best at worst!

Baron, J-Rich & S-Jax for sure... and I would say Biedrins, but not after the way he ended the season. I'll leave it at 4th best.

Biedrins didn't exactly end the season the way he started so you shouldn't have him on your top 5 list. I am looking at the whole season with JRich's last 2 months being the only time he was properly healthy.

TMC wrote:[Hey, what about Pietrus? :mrgreen:

He is potentially the best on the team :mrgreen:

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:51 pm
[quote="TMC"][quote="migya"]
Monta is already the 2nd best scorer on the team (for the season) in only his second season and will only get better. He is [b]potentially[/b] the best on the team[/quote]

So is POB. In fact, so is Perovic. "Potentially" means nothing at all. Right now, he's our 5th best player, and that's all he is.[/quote]

How many times have you seen Patrick O'Bryant play against NBA players? I can guarantee that you havent seen him play a whole lot against NBA players...why? because he only got 7 and a half minutes all year long. POB will just be another average big man...probably wont even be a starter, hes a lifetime backup in the NBA.
Monta on the other hand happens to be only less than a year older than POB, and is already lightyears ahead of him as far as development.
There is hardly even a way to compare them because they are completely opposite. Ones a guard the other a big man, one starts the other is glad just to warm up with the team, one has offensive capabilities and the other couldnt put the ball through a hoola hoop, ones a great shot blocker the other doesnt play d.
and besides all of this a big 7 footer like POB wont ever get much PT as long as Nellie is the coach. he just doesnt fit the GSW up and down style of play that we all love to watch.
Bottom line Monta has a much bigger upside than O'Bryant. Cuz POB cant develop on the bench.
Jee Ess Dubya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:21 pm
maracle10 wrote:How many times have you seen Patrick O'Bryant play against NBA players? I can guarantee that you havent seen him play a whole lot against NBA players...why? because he only got 7 and a half minutes all year long. POB will just be another average big man...probably wont even be a starter, hes a lifetime backup in the NBA.
Monta on the other hand happens to be only less than a year older than POB, and is already lightyears ahead of him as far as development.
There is hardly even a way to compare them because they are completely opposite. Ones a guard the other a big man, one starts the other is glad just to warm up with the team, one has offensive capabilities and the other couldnt put the ball through a hoola hoop, ones a great shot blocker the other doesnt play d.
and besides all of this a big 7 footer like POB wont ever get much PT as long as Nellie is the coach. he just doesnt fit the GSW up and down style of play that we all love to watch.
Bottom line Monta has a much bigger upside than O'Bryant. Cuz POB cant develop on the bench.

Missed the sarcasm, buddy...

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:46 pm
oops...my bad...haha
Jee Ess Dubya

Rookie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:15 pm
this guy would be good in nellies offense look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmzEP8rK0-o
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:44 pm
... you find a Stromile Swift highlight video on YouTube, so you feel compelled to join a Warriors forum and post about twice...? :-s

Swift is overpaid. We have a cap issue already. Screw getting him.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Previous

Return to Trades