Pietrus to Toronto: Trade or Blockbuster?

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:21 pm
With Brian Colangelo eyeballing Mickael Pietrus, it would behoove Chris Mullin to try and wheel and deal a little bit with him. While Colangelo might be an Executive-of-the-Year, Mullin's got a pretty good track record (when it comes to trades) and the two might be able to set something nice up. The first idea is the realistic one, the second idea is the dream:

1) Mickael Pietrus & Golden State's 2007 1st-round pick for Kris Humphries & cash.

As I explained in another thread, Humphries majorly addresses Golden State's rebounding woes. He's not a hound on the glass, but he'll get you 9 a night in starting minutes. Humphries could be Golden State's version of Jason Maxiell. Plus, he's a hustle player, so he wont fall behind in transition as often as Troy Murphy or Mike Dunleavy did.

On Toronto's side of the coin, Colangelo gets Pietrus to be his starting shooting guard... AND he gets a pick in the 1st round of the draft this year, without losing a huge chunk of his rotation. Win/win.

2) Al Harrington, Monta Ellis, Mickael Pietrus, & 2007, 2008 first round picks for Chris Bosh

This one's probably dreaming more than anything else. Golden State gets their dream lineup of Davis and Richardson in the backcourt, with Jackson, Bosh, and Biedrins holding down the front court. Bosh can run in transition, has post game to spare, plays excellent defense, knocks down the midrange, rebounds with the best of them, and is one the game's younger big men. In all reality, he'll probably be the next Garnett someday.

Meanwhile, lets try to justify Toronto giving up that kind of star: If Colangeo is truly banking on Andrea Bargnani, then I don't see why he wouldn't take a huge chunk of Golden State's potent, playoff offense in exchange for Chris Bosh. Monta Ellis is already a 17 PPG scorer... whose only getting better. He may turn into a future star if he can learn to plamake. Mickael Pietrus gives Colangelo the starting SG he's after. And Al Harrington plugs the frontcourt gap that Bosh would leave if he got traded. The Raptors would remain young, they'd recieve 3 above-average talents (with 2 potential stars), and Golden State's draft picks for the next 2 seasons.

... hey, a guy can dream, right?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:42 pm
I definitely like the first deal. I know nothing of Humphries, fill me in a bit more. Can this guy shoot free throws?

No way we'd get Bosh but...

32 wrote:... hey, a guy can dream, right?

Oh definitely.
All Star
Poster Credit: 3
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:53 pm
i love GSW so badly...none of these 2 option i will take...first, M.pietrus is better than humpries....2nd, monta is the future superstar, we need big man but C.bosh only deserve for Harrington,pietrus and draft picks. other than that forget it..or u can take josh powell,sarunas,foyle for extra player.I still like to get C.wilcox from seattle for PF...trade him with draft pick and josh powell...i will not destroy the chemistry that we have right now....still small line up and some big men to adjust if other team play with low post....small line up is forcing team to make turnover and get fastbreak point..that's our weapon.Some big men will help GSW to get some rebound...that's what we need.

All Star
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:56 pm
If anyone has a link to Toronto being interested in Pietrus please post.
The Broe Knows Dont Hate....

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 am
I see the trade for Bosh being reasonable for sure. I havent seen enough of Bosh to see if he has that killer instinct you need to win playoff games. And id only want to pay max money for a player who has that.

Guys who do:

Wade
LeBron
KOBE
Shaq
Duncan
Ginobili (no max)
Nash
Billups (wouldnt give him max though)
AI
and few others

Guys who dont:

TMAC
Vince Carter
Yao
Dirk
JOneal
Zach Randolf
Marbury
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:52 am
And you call my trade proposals wack :wink:
I'll give you credit for being daring and creative. Good to see, I like it.
Trade #1 sounds good if Humphries can continue that April form. As I said in the other thread that touched on this topic, I'd rather have Calderon as he seems like a sure thing and could even be groomed to be the starting PG in 2 years after Baron's contract expires, if Baron asks for too much or is better of being used in a trade. Definately a viable trade. Why not go for it!

Trade #2 is definately a real big one that changes the look of both teams. Bosh is now a superstar that is young and they are almost impossible to pry away from the team that has them. In saying that, I think this is giving away too much and Bosh is not exactly the beast inside just yet and might just become a midrange happy PF, kind of like KG has become the last few years. For Dwight Howard, I definately give the players you mentioned, though only barely as Monta could be real special. That is the biggest reason I say no to this trade, Monta could be special and along with Harringtin and Pietrus, two productive players, as well as two future 1st rounders, including in this loaded draft, just too much for Bosh

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:13 am
As a dream, it's nice, but Toronto won't trade Bosh in real life...

As for the other trade, I'd pass. I value more our first rounder than what we may get in Humphries. I still remember that Sloan traded him after his rookie season for his poor work ethic (Sloan's words, not mine).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:53 am
xbaywarrior wrote:I definitely like the first deal. I know nothing of Humphries, fill me in a bit more. Can this guy shoot free throws?

Not very well, no... but no worse than Harrington. Besides, every player on the roster (from Biedrins, to Baron) improved their FT% this year after working with Don Nelson's free throw coach. Humphries is probably capable of around 70% next season, with proper coaching. His real qualities are offensive rebounding, midrange jumpshooting, and occasional inside defense. For Mickael Pietrus, I'd take him any day.

Money wrote:Guys who do:

Wade
LeBron
KOBE
Shaq
Duncan
Ginobili (no max)
Nash
AI

Uh... Baron? :shock:

TMC wrote:I still remember that Sloan traded him after his rookie season for his poor work ethic (Sloan's words, not mine).

Jerry Sloan ripping on somebody's work ethic doesn't really phase me, because I can see Sloan as one of those guys with impossible standards. Humphries is a hustle player; he gets all his points through hard work and muscling other players out of the way.

Sloan also might have been trying to motivate him. If I recall, Don Nelson said that Richardson doesn't make his teammates better... and JRich responded with the best passing and defensive skills we've ever seen him have.

Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:45 pm
32 wrote:
Money wrote:Guys who do:

Wade
LeBron
KOBE
Shaq
Duncan
Ginobili (no max)
Nash
AI

Uh... Baron? :shock:

Baron doesnt make the list for me because of his history with injuries. All these other guys play or used to play (Shaq) 75 plus games a year on a regular basis. Baron definitely has the killer instinct and probably more so than five or six guys on ths list.

Baron would be one of the best PG's EVER he wasnt as injury prone. With his personality he could be bigger than Wade, Carmelo and the rest of them.

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:01 pm
boooo

bosh is as untouchable to the raptors as biedrins and ellis are to the dubs. dream on. i dont see mullin making any big moves. i think he'll try to get a rebounder and some backcourt help, but other than that i think he's satisfied with what we've got.
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
All Star
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:22 pm
ChronicallyInclined wrote:boooo

bosh is as untouchable to the raptors as biedrins and ellis are to the dubs. dream on. i dont see mullin making any big moves. i think he'll try to get a rebounder and some backcourt help, but other than that i think he's satisfied with what we've got.

Bosh is waaay more untouchable than Ellis and Biedrins. For one thing we'd love to do this trade which involved a lot more than Ellis. Heck. I'd do Ellis, Biedrins, Pietrus and Harrington for Bosh. Bosh is a keeper.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:32 pm
The Bosh trade was pretty tongue-in-cheek. It was never meant to be taken seriously. Toronto's building around Bosh.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:40 am
cladden wrote:Heck. I'd do Ellis, Biedrins, Pietrus and Harrington for Bosh. Bosh is a keeper.

Um, I wouldn't :wink:

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:07 am
migya wrote:
cladden wrote:Heck. I'd do Ellis, Biedrins, Pietrus and Harrington for Bosh. Bosh is a keeper.

Jesus Christ, I would.

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Jason Richardson
SF - Stephen Jackson
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Patrick O'Bryant

That's a helluva lineup.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:41 am
migya wrote:

You're saying so just to stir up conversation, right?. I mean, RIGHT? :wink:
Next

Return to Trades