Buy Low, Sell High and Then Some

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am
A lot of you seems to be hung up on the idea that Monta Ellis is going to be this superstar and that may very well be the case but its still an uncertainty. What people don't understand, and it was the main point of my post, is that this team isn't going to win without another rebounder, which is where a guy like Gasol comes in handy, but it doesn't even have to be that marquee of a name player. There is a small percentage of players (13) in the NBA that are averaging double figures in rebounds and all of them are untouchables. This team doesn't need that player to be a 4 or 5, but someone that is a 8-9 rpg player.

Another idea here:

Boston is looking to rebuild with younger players like Jefferson and Green which is a great start. Every summer, there is a rumor of Pierce being traded and this may be the summer to do it. Would you give up Ellis, Richardson, Foyle, and O'Bryant for Pierce, Scalabrine, Gomes, and Telfair? Not the sexiest looking trade, but both teams get something. Imagine a line up of Ellis, Richardson, Green, Jefferson, and Perkins. Thats a nice young line up in the East. They get a nice prospect in O'Bryant and Foyle would be the price to attain Ellis. A line up of Baron, Jackson, Pierce, Harrington, and Biedrins would be solid as Pierce is a good rebounder and defender.

or...

Atlanta will have issues with Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress who are all small forwards. Marvin Williams seems to be the future for Atlanta and they are in need of a PG since Speedy and Lue both suck. Johnson is better suited at the SG spot. Send Ellis and O'Bryant for Josh Smith and Solomon Jones. How about Baron, Richardson, Smith, Harrington, and Biedrins? Smith is a SF that averages 8.5 boards a game and his athleticism would be a perfect fit for Nellie's offense. For Atlanta: Ellis, Johnson, Williams, S. Williams, Pachulia
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:37 pm
GSWGuru wrote:Boston is looking to rebuild with younger players like Jefferson and Green which is a great start. Every summer, there is a rumor of Pierce being traded and this may be the summer to do it. Would you give up Ellis, Richardson, Foyle, and O'Bryant for Pierce, Scalabrine, Gomes, and Telfair? Not the sexiest looking trade, but both teams get something. Imagine a line up of Ellis, Richardson, Green, Jefferson, and Perkins. Thats a nice young line up in the East. They get a nice prospect in O'Bryant and Foyle would be the price to attain Ellis. A line up of Baron, Jackson, Pierce, Harrington, and Biedrins would be solid as Pierce is a good rebounder and defender.

This is tempting... losing both Ellis and J-Rich would suck, but PP is the best player in the trade (although getting up there in age) and Gomes is a nice role player.

Probably would do it if we're able to keep J-Rich or Ellis. They would take Harrington instead. I'd go for that.

btw, I know the numbers don't work. I don't have the time to check for salaries that work, but that's the main idea after the trade.

GSWGuru wrote:Atlanta will have issues with Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress who are all small forwards. Marvin Williams seems to be the future for Atlanta and they are in need of a PG since Speedy and Lue both suck. Johnson is better suited at the SG spot. Send Ellis and O'Bryant for Josh Smith and Solomon Jones. How about Baron, Richardson, Smith, Harrington, and Biedrins? Smith is a SF that averages 8.5 boards a game and his athleticism would be a perfect fit for Nellie's offense. For Atlanta: Ellis, Johnson, Williams, S. Williams, Pachulia

Josh Smith is the future for Atlanta, not Marvin... They wouldn't trade him for that.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:54 pm
GSWGuru wrote:A lot of you seems to be hung up on the idea that Monta Ellis is going to be this superstar and that may very well be the case but its still an uncertainty.

That's my main point, in regards to your trades. Monta Ellis isn't a superstar... so how, exactly, are we going to end up swinging guys like Pau Gasol, Paul Pierce, or Josh Smith for him?

In every trade you've posted, Monta Ellis is the meat of the deal (on our end). Even in the Celtics trade, Richardson and Monta are the biggest pieces. I seriously doubt any team would be willing to exchange their franchise player for our streaky guard. That's my point.

Inserting Harrington into the Gasol trade made it a little more likely, I guess... but even then, Memphis is still getting screwed. All of these trades look like wishful thinking from Warriors fans. If you went to a Celtics message board, a Grizzlies one, or a Hawks forum and propsed any of these ideas, I'm pretty sure you'd get laughed out of the place.

Pau Gasol in exchange for Monta Ellis??? Try getting that one to fly in Memphis. :oops:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:34 pm
GSWGuru wrote:A lot of you seems to be hung up on the idea that Monta Ellis is going to be this superstar and that may very well be the case but its still an uncertainty. What people don't understand, and it was the main point of my post, is that this team isn't going to win without another rebounder, which is where a guy like Gasol comes in handy, but it doesn't even have to be that marquee of a name player. There is a small percentage of players (13) in the NBA that are averaging double figures in rebounds and all of them are untouchables. This team doesn't need that player to be a 4 or 5, but someone that is a 8-9 rpg player.

Another idea here:

Boston is looking to rebuild with younger players like Jefferson and Green which is a great start. Every summer, there is a rumor of Pierce being traded and this may be the summer to do it. Would you give up Ellis, Richardson, Foyle, and O'Bryant for Pierce, Scalabrine, Gomes, and Telfair? Not the sexiest looking trade, but both teams get something. Imagine a line up of Ellis, Richardson, Green, Jefferson, and Perkins. Thats a nice young line up in the East. They get a nice prospect in O'Bryant and Foyle would be the price to attain Ellis. A line up of Baron, Jackson, Pierce, Harrington, and Biedrins would be solid as Pierce is a good rebounder and defender.

or...

Atlanta will have issues with Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress who are all small forwards. Marvin Williams seems to be the future for Atlanta and they are in need of a PG since Speedy and Lue both suck. Johnson is better suited at the SG spot. Send Ellis and O'Bryant for Josh Smith and Solomon Jones. How about Baron, Richardson, Smith, Harrington, and Biedrins? Smith is a SF that averages 8.5 boards a game and his athleticism would be a perfect fit for Nellie's offense. For Atlanta: Ellis, Johnson, Williams, S. Williams, Pachulia

Interesting trades and both possible but I'd rather go for Gasol or a star big, though getting Pierce would be unbelievable! I'd rather send Harrington and SJackson but maybe one of Monta, JRich and Baron would have to be included in any big trade like these.

As far as whether Grizz fans would agree with this: About a month ago I proposed Baron, Harrington and this draft's 1st rounder for Gasol, DStoudamire and Cardinal and many agreed it is better than what they will likely get. The Celt fans just want a major change because they have been screwed over by failed could bes

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:14 pm
::lol:

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:36 pm
32 wrote:In every trade you've posted, Monta Ellis is the meat of the deal (on our end). Even in the Celtics trade, Richardson and Monta are the biggest pieces. I seriously doubt any team would be willing to exchange their franchise player for our streaky guard. That's my point.

Inserting Harrington into the Gasol trade made it a little more likely, I guess... but even then, Memphis is still getting screwed. All of these trades look like wishful thinking from Warriors fans. If you went to a Celtics message board, a Grizzlies one, or a Hawks forum and propsed any of these ideas, I'm pretty sure you'd get laughed out of the place.

Pau Gasol in exchange for Monta Ellis??? Try getting that one to fly in Memphis. :oops:

Then you're one of the only guys that we see eye to eye with when it comes to Ellis, but most other people believe Monta is going to be some superstar and the next Arenas so why not use that to the W's advantage. Sportswriters are high on this kid and so goes with the other GMs in the league looking for the next big thing. Ainge has already said that he wants to rebuild by going younger. Ellis fits into that concept.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:36 pm
32 wrote:In every trade you've posted, Monta Ellis is the meat of the deal (on our end). Even in the Celtics trade, Richardson and Monta are the biggest pieces. I seriously doubt any team would be willing to exchange their franchise player for our streaky guard. That's my point.

Then you're one of the only guys that we see eye to eye with when it comes to Ellis, but most other people believe Monta is going to be some superstar and the next Arenas so why not use that to the W's advantage. Sportswriters are high on this kid and so goes with the other GMs in the league looking for the next big thing. Ainge has already said that he wants to rebuild by going younger. Ellis fits into that concept.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:14 pm
GSWGuru wrote:

Because great potential is still just potential... and most NBA GM's and VP's aren't willing to put their neck on the line for that.

Anytime a GM or VP moves his franchise player, his career is on the line. Trading somebody like Gasol, Pierce, or Josh Smith for a guy like Monta Ellis could get a man fired if Monta doesn't fill out. GM's are mostly stupid, but also cowardly... not many are willing to take such risks.

Rookie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:37 pm
What your pictures don't show is the salaries:

2007/08 Payroll (Rounded off)

Baron Davis = $16.5M
Jason Richardson = $11M
Adonal Foyle = $9M
Al Harrington = $8.5M
Stephen Jackson = $6.5M
Saruna Jaskevicious = $4M
Zarko Cabarkapa = $3.5
Mikael Pietrus = $3M
Patrick O'Bryant = $2.5M
Andris Biedrins = $2.5M
First Round Draft pick = $1.5M
Monta Ellis = $770K

Doing the math, the Warriors payroll will be around $62M with the cap most likely being around $57M next year. The Warriors will be extremely close to the luxury tax threshold. Now, if Ellison was the owner, who cares right? Unfortunately, its Chris Cohan that owns this team and you will not see him exceed the luxury tax.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:45 pm
Are you kidding?

He's already over the luxury tax.
Starting Lineup
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:45 pm
It's Monta's second year out of high school! I realize their's always alot of young guards with "potential" but compare Monta's 2nd year numbers and Gilberts. They are the same type of player. Granted Arenas was a little more polished at this stage and had a better body, but he also spent a year in college......

The Grizz would have to be out of their minds to trade Gasol now. Monta might fit in at PG there alongside Rudy Gay and Mike Miller, but they would have to be insane not to give Oden and Gasol a chance together. If we threw in Harrington it MIGHT be plausible, because Monta could drive all day and kick out to Miller and Harrington for 3's.

Let's extend Monta's contract and see what he can do. We can always trade him then. To call him a dime a dozen player is not accurate. There are less than a handfull of guys in the NBA right now with his abillity. Show me more than 3 or 4 guys who can be in full stride, spin around and keep going like he does. Also don't forget this guy has a great shooters touch. I think in the madness and excitement this year he has kind of forgotten how to shoot. Once his mind slows down he will get it back.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:03 pm
I reckon the Grizz would trade Gasol and filers for Baron or JRich and Harrington and fillers. If gasol is really to be traded now, they wouldn't get much better deals than this.

Monta is real good, that is obvious and I'd rather keep him to be honest as there is no telling how good he'll become

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:00 am
migya wrote:I reckon the Grizz would trade Gasol and filers for Baron or JRich and Harrington and fillers. If gasol is really to be traded now, they wouldn't get much better deals than this.

They'd be crazy to do so. Stern should force the owner to sell the team and replace all their front office staff if they agree to that trade.

Harrington has been playing like sh*t lately. Baron, while extremely talented, is injury prone, close to 30 (this matters for a team that will start rebuilding), and his contract ends in two years (and he wouldn't re-sign with Memphis. That's for sure). Also, neither of them covers a need (as they're really high on Kyle Lowry and Warrick is a similar player to Al, just a worse outside shooter).

A more realistic approach would be J-Rich or Monta, a couple of picks and POB. And still that would be far from a certainty. There would be at least 20 more offers, and probably a few better.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:10 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:I reckon the Grizz would trade Gasol and filers for Baron or JRich and Harrington and fillers. If gasol is really to be traded now, they wouldn't get much better deals than this.

They'd be crazy to do so. Stern should force the owner to sell the team and replace all their front office staff if they agree to that trade.

Harrington has been playing like sh*t lately. Baron, while extremely talented, is injury prone, close to 30 (this matters for a team that will start rebuilding), and his contract ends in two years (and he wouldn't re-sign with Memphis. That's for sure). Also, neither of them covers a need (as they're really high on Kyle Lowry and Warrick is a similar player to Al, just a worse outside shooter).

A more realistic approach would be J-Rich or Monta, a couple of picks and POB. And still that would be far from a certainty. There would be at least 20 more offers, and probably a few better.

Well there certainly weren't better offers before the trade deadline :wink:

Baron would be the best PG in the Griz franchise history! With Oden, if they get him, it would be a great pairing. Harrington is still good enough to start for the Grizzlies for sure. Throw in this draft's 1st rounder and the Griz get three players that could probably start (maybe not the Warriors' draft pick but maybe)

Previous

Return to Trades