Buy Low, Sell High and Then Some

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:46 am
The Warriors got Monta Ellis in the 2nd round and is paying the guy $750K a year, which its a bargain. That may not be the case after next season when he'll be asking for an extension, but who knows what another season could do to his value and it can go either way. The thing that I don't like is that Monta doesn't neccessarily fill any specific needs that can help this team win. Yes, he's a gifted scorer but this team has enough scorers with Harrington, Richardson, Jackson, and Davis. If you watched last night's Utah game, you'd know exactly what this team lacks and thats rebounding. The Warriors are one of the worst rebounding teams in the league and you're not going to win a lot of games giving up 14 more rebounds to the opposing team, especially in a game that is decided by 4 points. They need an athletic bruiser like Boozer. A guy that can rebound and won't wonder far from the paint, yet athletic enough to get on the break and finish plays. A guy like this would help the rebounding, defense, and gives Biedrins all around help to stay out of foul trouble.

I hear everyone saying how Monta Ellis is the next Gilbert Arenas, but even with Gilbert, it was apparent right way that he was special. With Ellis, its not that apparent and a tad cloudy. He could be the next Arenas or the next Cuttino Mobley. Right now, he's more of a Eddie House or Keith Bogans. In the last 5 games, Monta is averaging: 9.8 ppg, 3.8 apg, and 4.6 turnovers. He's hardly a guy I'm ready to hand this franchise over to.

If the Warriors put Monta out into the market, they could easilly package him with Adonal Foyle and teams would still make offers. Thats nearly $9M in salary for a big man that can help this team. Throw in O'Bryant and you you have nearly $11M.

Possible moves:

1. Send Ellis, Foyle, and O'Bryant to Memphis for Pau Gasol.

2. Send Ellis, Foyle, and O'Bryant to Cleveland for Gooden and Damon Jones.

Either one of those guys will really help this team. There isn't going to be a rebounding big man available in free agency or in the mid first round of the draft so this maybe the only avenue the Warriors have in getting better. The one guy that hasn't had a chance this year, due to injury is Zarko Cabarkapa. This guy would absolutely do well in Nellie's offense. He's a poor man's (very poor man's) Dirk Nowitzki. A 7 footer than can shoot and handle the ball. He can be re-signed for fairly cheap. I'd like Pietrus go since Barnes is not only the better player, but would be the cheaper one too. Draftwise, they select Splitter who is a 7 footer that can defend. The second scenario is my choice and would give them a line up of :

PG Davis - Jones - Jaskevicious
SG Richardson - Jackson
SF Harrington - Barnes
PF Gooden - Powell - Cabarkapa
C Biedrins - Splitter - Perovic (if they choose to bring him over.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:23 am
I like the Gasol move, but he won't go anywhere if they draft Oden. We'll have to wait for that one. And I still doubt Ellis & POB would be enough to get him (as Foyle would be more of a problem than anything for Memphis).

The Gooden trade... I don't know if he'd be a good fit for Nellie. I'd rather keep Ellis.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:05 pm
1) There's no way Memphis would give up Pau Gasol (whose a bonafide star in this league) for Monta Ellis (who might someday become a star). Big men are also more valueable than guards in this league. I can't see Jerry West going for it.

2) Screw that. Gooden for Monta Ellis??? I gotta give it the red light. Besides... I think Jackson's doing great at SF, so why move him to the bench?
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:15 pm
Grizz would ask for a bit more than that but if they don't get Oden, they could see O'bryant as a prospect at Center. Would have to take out Foyle and add our 1st rounder.

Fuk Gooden off, he is yet to be the star that he was expected to become

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:57 pm
migya wrote:Would have to take out Foyle and add our 1st rounder.

Oh.

You mean make it impossible, contractually?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:34 pm
The Grizz would never take Foyle as well in that trade, just no way

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:01 am
migya wrote:The Grizz would never take Foyle as well in that trade, just no way

What 32 is saying is that we cannot take over a $13.7 million salary without sending them equivalent salaries... Foyle has to included. Or maybe Al Harrington instead, which should be a more palatable trade for Memphis.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:52 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:The Grizz would never take Foyle as well in that trade, just no way

What 32 is saying is that we cannot take over a $13.7 million salary without sending them equivalent salaries... Foyle has to included. Or maybe Al Harrington instead, which should be a more palatable trade for Memphis.

Harrington would have to be included for this to be a possibility

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:30 am
Replacing Foyle with Harrington makes the trade viable.

Baron Davis
Jason Richardson
Stephen Jackson
Pau Gasol
Andris Biedrins

That's a hell of a lineup. Every single player is all-star caliber. I'd do that in a heartbeat... not too sure what Memphis would say, though. Losing their star for a streaky PF, a project center, and an undersized, dime-a-dozen, 'might-be-superstar-guard' doesn't sound too appealing to me.

Would we wanna trade Jason Richardson in exchange for Kevin Martin, Kenny Thomas, and Justin Williams...? Hell no. So why would Memphis go for a similar idea?
All Star
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:00 pm
I'd rather keep Ellis than Gasol, he doesn't really fit our system IMO. And Ellis has serious upside.

Role Player
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:40 pm
just put cabarkapa on starting line up and whatever problems you think they might have are solved
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 pm
JayPat wrote:I'd rather keep Ellis than Gasol, he doesn't really fit our system IMO. And Ellis has serious upside.

I dunno... I think Gasol athletic enough to keep up. He's at least as athletic as Biedrins. Plus, Ellis has upside... but Gasol's already there. How many players in this league average 18, 10, and 2?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:54 am
32 wrote:
JayPat wrote:I'd rather keep Ellis than Gasol, he doesn't really fit our system IMO. And Ellis has serious upside.

I dunno... I think Gasol athletic enough to keep up. He's at least as athletic as Biedrins. Plus, Ellis has upside... but Gasol's already there. How many players in this league average 18, 10, and 2?

Exactly, and most championship teams require to have a good big man inside (not that Biedrins isn't one, but he's more... limited). Gasol, alongside Baron and J-Rich and some good role players like Jackson and Biedrins is enough to guarantee a second round in the playoffs... and maybe more. That one is a hell of a lineup.

I also think Monta has a lot of potential... but he won't make the same impact an inside guy makes in a game.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 1
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:51 am
I like the idea, and I think Gasol would be quite a force in the W's

But, I don't like shipping Monta without bringing in another PG/ballhandler. BD has proven that he is injury prone, and needs to limit his minutes to under 30. Who's gonna run the show? SJax can play the point at times, but any deal that ships Monta (a fairly high prospect) must bring in a PG.

Or, draft one. I don't see any PG's that could help in free agency either.

Rookie
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 am
A lot of you seems to be hung up on the idea that Monta Ellis is going to be this superstar and that may very well be the case but its still an uncertainty. What people don't understand, and it was the main point of my post, is that this team isn't going to win without another rebounder, which is where a guy like Gasol comes in handy, but it doesn't even have to be that marquee of a name player. There is a small percentage of players (13) in the NBA that are averaging double figures in rebounds and all of them are untouchables. This team doesn't need that player to be a 4 or 5, but someone that is a 8-9 rpg player.

Another idea here:

Boston is looking to rebuild with younger players like Jefferson and Green which is a great start. Every summer, there is a rumor of Pierce being traded and this may be the summer to do it. Would you give up Ellis, Richardson, Foyle, and O'Bryant for Pierce, Scalabrine, Gomes, and Telfair? Not the sexiest looking trade, but both teams get something. Imagine a line up of Ellis, Richardson, Green, Jefferson, and Perkins. Thats a nice young line up in the East. They get a nice prospect in O'Bryant and Foyle would be the price to attain Ellis. A line up of Baron, Jackson, Pierce, Harrington, and Biedrins would be solid as Pierce is a good rebounder and defender.

or...

Atlanta will have issues with Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, and Josh Childress who are all small forwards. Marvin Williams seems to be the future for Atlanta and they are in need of a PG since Speedy and Lue both suck. Johnson is better suited at the SG spot. Send Ellis and O'Bryant for Josh Smith and Solomon Jones. How about Baron, Richardson, Smith, Harrington, and Biedrins? Smith is a SF that averages 8.5 boards a game and his athleticism would be a perfect fit for Nellie's offense.
Next

Return to Trades