Deadline Deals That WORK

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

All Star
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:09 pm
This is exactly the kind of post that is not going to be allowed, J-Rich. When a fight evolves into only foul language and name calling, I'm going to edit those posts. If you want to have a verbal spat with DW or anyone else, start a thread in the private forum. I won't moderate anything there.

Edited by TMC
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:35 am
As this thread is about deals that work, I'm going to add a pearl by one of the biggest f*cktards in a NBA front office, Billy King.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz acquired veteran forward Alan Henderson from Philadelphia just before the trade deadline Thursday.

The Jazz and 76ers exchanged the right to trade second-round picks in the 2007 draft. Philadelphia also included undisclosed cash considerations in the deal.

"This move gives us increased flexibility and provides us with additional options on draft day," Sixers president Billy King said.

Henderson played sparingly off the bench for the Sixers this season, averaging 3.5 points and 3.1 rebounds in 34 games. Henderson signed with Philadelphia as a free agent after spending last season with Cleveland.

The 6-foot-9, 240-pound Henderson has career averages of 7.9 points and 5.0 rebounds in 648 games over 12 seasons. He was Atlanta's first-round pick in the 1995 draft.

So, if I understand the trade, Utah gets Henderson and the right to pick in Philly's position in the second round... while Philly will pick in Utah's spot in that round.

So... can someone explain this to me?

The retarded that sits in the front office in Philly wrote:"This move gives us increased flexibility and provides us with additional options on draft day," Sixers president Billy King said.

While trying to understand King's logic (or lack of), keep in mind that Philly had to pay Utah for the trade and that Henderson is a expirer this year.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 51
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:16 am
Couldn't be for a salary dump (Henderson's making less than 3/4 of a million per year).

I think Philly's the one with the option to switch picks... although I have no idea why they'd want to do that with such a highly seeded team. :roll:
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:24 am
32 wrote:I think Philly's the one with the option to switch picks... although I have no idea why they'd want to do that with such a highly seeded team. :roll:

Yeah, well. Still is retarded. At this point of the season, they already know they'll have a better pick than Utah.

Guess that what Billy King is saying is that it gives them flexibilty for the draft, because now they can choose if they want to pick in their spot or later.

Genious.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:36 am
That's why Billy King's a GM and we're not. He has common sense. :thumbleft: :roll:
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 25
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:11 pm
Expect the 76ers to get raped in trades yet again soon

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 pm
I expect the 76ers to end up with Kevin Durant in the draft...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:46 am
They need to go after guys like Carter as well. With a top draft pick and a very good free agent pickup, they could get back to being a playoff team because they have good players in AMiller, Iguodala and Dalembert

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:58 am
32 wrote:I expect the 76ers to end up with Kevin Durant in the draft...

I don't. First, Durant is not a lock to enter this draft (he probably will do it, but it's not a certainty right now)... and Philly got so much better with the trade (which further proves Billy King sucks) that they will pick around 4-5 (unless they're lucky enough to win the lottery).

They should have traded Andre Miller for another pick in this deadline...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:16 am
TMC wrote:

I don't. First, Durant is not a lock to enter this draft (he probably will do it, but it's not a certainty right now)... and Philly got so much better with the trade (which further proves Billy King sucks) that they will pick around 4-5 (unless they're lucky enough to win the lottery).

Andre Miller is the sort of PG they needed, a pass first PG and Iguodala has improved because of him. The sixers just need one or two very good player and they will be a playoff team. Trading their pick in this coming draft for a star PF would be ideal

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:28 am
migya wrote:Andre Miller is the sort of PG they needed, a pass first PG and Iguodala has improved because of him. The sixers just need one or two very good player and they will be a playoff team. Trading their pick in this coming draft for a star PF would be ideal

Yeah, well, problem is that they're re-building and Miller is going to be 31 soon. Also, you don't trade a pick that can get you Oden or Durant for a PF... and, if the pick is not high enough to get those two, nobody will give you a good PF for it.

Also, they need a new coach. Cheeks doesn't cut it as head coach.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 am
TMC wrote:

Right now, I'm expecting Oden to go to the Celtics and Durant (who I believe will enter the draft) to be a 76er.

I agree; trading Miller would have helped them secure a lower draft pick, but Billy King's too damn stupid to know that.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:43 pm
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:Andre Miller is the sort of PG they needed, a pass first PG and Iguodala has improved because of him. The sixers just need one or two very good player and they will be a playoff team. Trading their pick in this coming draft for a star PF would be ideal

Yeah, well, problem is that they're re-building and Miller is going to be 31 soon. Also, you don't trade a pick that can get you Oden or Durant for a PF... and, if the pick is not high enough to get those two, nobody will give you a good PF for it.

Also, they need a new coach. Cheeks doesn't cut it as head coach.

Like I said, Iguodala is doing great alongside AMiller so Miller will be their PG for now. I disagree that the sixers couldn't trade their draft pick (a top 5 at least) for a very good PF, like Villaneuva, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph (a headcase but reckon the Blazers would part with him) or even Jermaine with a filler or two (more likely than most probably think)

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:10 pm
migya wrote:Like I said, Iguodala is doing great alongside AMiller so Miller will be their PG for now.

That's not the point; the 76ers want to get WORSE this year so they can have a higher seed in the draft. They obviously aren't going to make the playoffs... so why is Billy King making the team JUST good enough to be at the back end of the lottery?

migya wrote:I disagree that the sixers couldn't trade their draft pick (a top 5 at least) for a very good PF, like Villaneuva, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph (a headcase but reckon the Blazers would part with him) or even Jermaine with a filler or two (more likely than most probably think)

I sincerly doubt ANY of the above trades would have happened for a damn draft pick. Villanueva is a good, young player which is what a draft pick is TRYING to get. Jefferson is a big part of Boston and they aren't going to part with him for something as small as a pick. Likewise, the Blazers are building around Randolph, so no dice there either.

:oops: And Jermaine for fillers and a draft pick??? Ask Indy how they'd feel about that one...
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:12 pm
32 wrote:
migya wrote:Like I said, Iguodala is doing great alongside AMiller so Miller will be their PG for now.

That's not the point; the 76ers want to get WORSE this year so they can have a higher seed in the draft. They obviously aren't going to make the playoffs... so why is Billy King making the team JUST good enough to be at the back end of the lottery?

You never trade a superstar for nothing! It would have been stupid for the sixers to get next to nothing for Iverson! AMiler fils the PG position real well and that is the 2nd hardest position to fil well, after Center.

They are not at the "backend of the draft" but may get a top 5 pick if not top 2! The trade put them in a good position to get a very high draft pick and gave them tradeable pieces like Joe Smith, who could be a filler in any trade scenario

32 wrote:
migya wrote:I disagree that the sixers couldn't trade their draft pick (a top 5 at least) for a very good PF, like Villaneuva, Al Jefferson, Zach Randolph (a headcase but reckon the Blazers would part with him) or even Jermaine with a filler or two (more likely than most probably think)

I sincerly doubt ANY of the above trades would have happened for a damn draft pick. Villanueva is a good, young player which is what a draft pick is TRYING to get. Jefferson is a big part of Boston and they aren't going to part with him for something as small as a pick. Likewise, the Blazers are building around Randolph, so no dice there either.

:oops: And Jermaine for fillers and a draft pick??? Ask Indy how they'd feel about that one...

The Bucks would gladly give up Villa and anyone else besides Mo Williams and Redd for a top 2 pick! Villa is good but has not done that well at all with the Bucks.
Jefferson has come on well the last month but he is expendable for a top 2 to 5 pick. The Celts could get their hands on the top 2 picks and that would mean filling to frontline spots with Oden and Durant! Ainge would go for that.
Randolph is a headcase who has done surprisingly well this seson after he was dropping previously but the Blazers are going young in rebuilding and getting a top 2 to 5 pick in this draft would be ideal. They would not be so in love with Randolph.
As far as the Pacers and Jermaine - They have been rocky for the past two seasons and after the the trade to get Murphy, dun and Diogu, Jermaine is likely not going to stay with them. Getting a top 2 to 5 pick would be a dream for the Pacers as they will never get anywhere near the same value in return for Jermaine, as always happens when trading superstars

PreviousNext

Return to Trades