Trading Baron Davis

Discuss anything related to Golden State Warriors basketball here

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, 32

When do we trade beloved Baron?

23%
ASAP.
3
8%
We dont make playoffs this year.
1
23%
We dont make playoffs this year or next year.
3
No votes
When his contract becomes an expirer.
46%
Never.
6

Total votes: 13


Starting Lineup
Posts: 964
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:08 am
Just curious to when most folks on this site think we should think about trading Baron Davis.

Im gonna say ASAP, most already know why I vote this way, but for the newbies in my mind he is either a quitter OR way way too injury prone to build a title contending team around. And i dont know if Baron would be happy to not be "the man" or if its finicially worth it to pay someone as much as we pay him not to be "the man".

I know his trade value is low, but even if we clear cap room to sign someone who would better fit our new team (built around Monta, Biedrins and JRich) or trade him for another guy who wants to leave where hes at (Gasol ect).

Personally I just think starting over (if u can call it that) with guys who are gonna play more than half a season would only speed up our eventual rise to the Championship. We would still have a ton of guys who have talent and heart, unlike before Baron was traded here. I really think some folks are still in the mindset that Baron is all we have.

All Star
Posts: 2261
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:43 am
Here we go again, Baron has played in over half the games missing what 7 games while avg a whopping 37 minutes :!: If the Warriors don't make the playoffs by next year then it would be considered like all moves but to do so now without even getting a chance to have the TEAM play together including a healthy J Rich would be stupid.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 18315
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:38 am
Where's the "As soon as we have decent value back in the trade" option?.

I mean, if we can get a player that improves the team, I'd do it right now... if not, I can't see a single reason why. It's not like we need to get rid of his salary (unlike DunMurphy's).

All Star
Posts: 1128
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:45 am
frankly i think in another year baron will be expendable with ellis on the rise. when that time comes, we can move baron for whatever player we really need.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 964
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:28 pm
O.G. Broe wrote: If the Warriors don't make the playoffs by next year then it would be considered like all moves.


Somehow I doubt you believe this Broe, you have never wanted the Warriors to trade anyone, not even dung boy. Dont front just say you want Baron to stay until the managment trades him. Keep it real, i like u better that way.

All Star
Posts: 2261
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:34 pm
No I thought all the bashing & booing was counterproductive, but I did think that Dun was going to raise his play level which never happened, I ended up frustrated & disappointed but had enough confidence in Mullin that he would be able to right the ship instead of jump ship like some :!:
User avatar

Franchise Player
Posts: 9163
» Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:12 pm
I'm not answering on whether the fact we should or shouldn't. BUT, c'mon, teams are not that stupid. If you were another teams GM, wouldn't you notice that the Warriors are trying to trade Baron because he's injury prone? That'd be the first thing that comes to mind when if I heard Baron was going to be traded. Teams will know what they're up against and give players, most likely, less than decent. Draft picks are what we most likely will get, and that's not what we need.

No more youth! We need veteran leadership.
User avatar

Hall of Famer
Posts: 22005
» Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:03 am
Baron may be out for the rest of the season with the knee surgery so he is looking even more less stable. Trding him is an option but a hard one bevause if he could ever play a full season, the team could be much better
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:28 pm
Baron's the catalyst to this team's success. The Warriors go as far as Baron can take them.

I think we should keep him, even after his contract expires, unless something out of the blue happens to compromise my faith in him.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 964
» Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:59 pm
32 wrote:Baron's the catalyst to this team's success. The Warriors go as far as Baron can take them.

I think we should keep him, even after his contract expires, unless something out of the blue happens to compromise my faith in him.


Why cant everyone disagree like this? I think Baron should be on the next UHaul out of town and 32 doesnt. Simple. Im not called a quitter, or this or that. Real easy.

And I agree Baron is the catalyst to this teams success as you say, but i dont think its a good thing. I dont think we can build our team around a player who is always injured and takes extra long to get back. Thats why i say move him now, even for expirers (like the hornets did) and start over with Monta, Biedrins, JRich and AL and we got 18 million for nice PF....

Sounds good to me
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:41 am
Money wrote:
32 wrote:Baron's the catalyst to this team's success. The Warriors go as far as Baron can take them.

I think we should keep him, even after his contract expires, unless something out of the blue happens to compromise my faith in him.


Why cant everyone disagree like this? I think Baron should be on the next UHaul out of town and 32 doesnt. Simple. Im not called a quitter, or this or that. Real easy.

And I agree Baron is the catalyst to this teams success as you say, but i dont think its a good thing. I dont think we can build our team around a player who is always injured and takes extra long to get back. Thats why i say move him now, even for expirers (like the hornets did) and start over with Monta, Biedrins, JRich and AL and we got 18 million for nice PF....

Sounds good to me

Give him another season or two to tutor Monta. If Ellis can be a playmaker (which, he's flashed a couple times), than Baron becomes more expendable... but I don't think I'd ever just dump his salary.

I'm not mad at the lineup right now. If they were fully healthy, they'd be insanely good.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 964
» Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:05 pm
32 wrote:Give him another season or two to tutor Monta. If Ellis can be a playmaker (which, he's flashed a couple times), than Baron becomes more expendable... but I don't think I'd ever just dump his salary.

I'm not mad at the lineup right now. If they were fully healthy, they'd be insanely good.


Agree, i actually like our lineup alot (compared to past decade) even with BD out but JRich healthy. Missing both of them hurts.

Only reason id go with salary dump is to free up cap space for a All-Star caliber PF (18 million is alot). I really think we need to play JRich at the 2 and AL at the 3 and use Barons money for a Big Man. You think Biedrins can play the 4???
User avatar

All Star
Posts: 3074
» Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:52 pm
No but Al is a 4. One who fits with Nelson's offense.

So hold off on Baron for now.
User avatar

Moderator
Posts: 13751
» Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:26 pm
Yeah, exactly. Al Harrington's signed to a 6-year deal, if I'm not mistaken. And he's a Nelly-type forward, so he'll work in our lineup. Biedrins can't play PF because he has ZERO midrange game.

:dontknow: Right now, I'm happy with Harrington starting and Powell as the backup. I think that tandem is JUST as good (if not better) than Murphy and Diogu.

Starting Lineup
Posts: 964
» Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:52 pm
32 wrote:
:dontknow: Right now, I'm happy with Harrington starting and Powell as the backup. I think that tandem is JUST as good (if not better) than Murphy and Diogu.


Man im having a hard time seeing AL compete at the 4 night in and night out, looks like hes just too small. Maybe its the zone so its harder to box out? Ideally I like the idea of Al at the four and i know we need to give Nelson and him time to make it work, but if its a physical thing i dont know?

Good thing is if AL is able to defend and rebound better at the 4 as the year progresses then we can play Monta, Jrich and beloved Baron (when healthy) together. Cause like most folks think we wont get equal value for Beloved....so we are most likely "stuck" with him.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests