If Gasol really wants out

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 28
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:12 am
If Gasol really ends up demanding to leave the Grizz, Mullin could offer up Murphy, Pietrus and O'bryant, plus a future 1st rounder if needed.

Like every other time a superstar or superstarlike player is traded, the team trading him never really gets equal value in return but this arguably gets the Grizz equal in return.

Pietrus is a rising young player that is doing great this season and since Eddie Jones is probably retiring after this season, he would replace him offensively and defensively, even giving more since Eddie is often injured now.
O'bryant would give them the only legit Center with potential that they have.
Murphy would replace Gasol in everything except blocks. Not entirely replace him but he would be perhaps the best scorer and rebounder in their frontline, unless Warrick continued what he has done this season.

This trade is pretty viable and I'm not sure many other teams would offer allstar players or anyone that has produced what Murphy and Pietrus have so Mullin could gives this a shot. Gasol could play either Center or PF, making either Diogu or Biedrins a bench player (likely Diogu :banghead: ) but it would make the team a championship contender or should at least

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:19 am
migya wrote:This trade is pretty viable and I'm not sure many other teams would offer allstar players or anyone that has produced what Murphy and Pietrus have so Mullin could gives this a shot.

Um. No. Let's get into reasons:

1.- Gasol ain't going anywhere until the ownership situation in Memphis is sorted out (which should happen by the end of this month).

2.- They probably would rather trade him to an East team. The Bulls seem to be the leading contender for him. And they have much better pieces to offer. Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas (with PJ Brown's expirer) look like a much more attractive package.

3.- That trade would ruin Memphis' salary cap for years to come. And all that for a player Memphis doesn't need (Warrick and Alexander Johnson are better option, or, at least, cheaper, which would allow them to sign someone). I could see them considering MP, POB and J-Rich, but not Murphy.

That said, I'd love to see him in a W's jersey, but I don't think he would come as cheap as Baron did.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:36 am
TMC wrote:
migya wrote:This trade is pretty viable and I'm not sure many other teams would offer allstar players or anyone that has produced what Murphy and Pietrus have so Mullin could gives this a shot.

1.- Gasol ain't going anywhere until the ownership situation in Memphis is sorted out (which should happen by the end of this month).

2.- They probably would rather trade him to an East team. The Bulls seem to be the leading contender for him. And they have much better pieces to offer. Luol Deng and Tyrus Thomas (with PJ Brown's expirer) look like a much more attractive package.

3.- That trade would ruin Memphis' salary cap for years to come. And all that for a player Memphis doesn't need (Warrick and Alexander Johnson are better option, or, at least, cheaper, which would allow them to sign someone). I could see them considering MP, POB and J-Rich, but not Murphy.

That said, I'd love to see him in a W's jersey, but I don't think he would come as cheap as Baron did.

I give you that that they want to trade him to the East probably and that the Bulls have some very good pieces, perhaps better pieces to give but this is not a bad trade at all!

Murphy is not a happy camper at the moment and that looks like a definate reason why the guy is playing badly - He doesn't seem to care much right now. He is however, a capable player with some talent around him and Memphis has that with MMiller, Gay, Warrick and also O'bryant and Pietrus if this trade happened. The Grizz are decent but not great at PG but talent level is decent if this trade happened.

The Bulls would likely offer PJ Brown and something esle out of Tyrus Thomas, Deng, Nocioni, Duhon and Sweetney, likely Tyrus, Deng and Duhon as they would need Nocioni's outside shooting more than Deng's allround but mostly inside play, Gordon's on the rise scoring, Kinrich's allround playmaking and BWallace's defense and rebounding. You can maybe replace PJ with Sweetney but the Grizz would want at least to starting players in the trade

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 am
migya wrote:Murphy is not a happy camper at the moment and that looks like a definate reason why the guy is playing badly - He doesn't seem to care much right now. He is however, a capable player with some talent around him and Memphis has that with MMiller, Gay, Warrick and also O'bryant and Pietrus if this trade happened. The Grizz are decent but not great at PG but talent level is decent if this trade happened.

You know, the problem with trading Murphy is his contract. Do you think Memphis is going to pay him $11 million per year having Warrick, Swift and Johnson already on the team?. Also, they're going to lose Eddie Jones this season, so getting a PG like J-Rich would be pretty enticing for them.

Keep in mind that it's not a fair deal what they're looking for, but the most attractive one. And Chicago has the more attractive package so far (if it's true they're willing to trade Thomas and Deng. I've got my doubts, given how well Deng is playing lately).
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:09 am
TMC wrote:You know, the problem with trading Murphy is his contract. Do you think Memphis is going to pay him $11 million per year having Warrick, Swift and Johnson already on the team?. Also, they're going to lose Eddie Jones this season, so getting a PG like J-Rich would be pretty enticing for them.

Murphy may or may not be as good or better than Warrick (he is better at jumpshooting that's for sure :mrgreen: ) but he is better than Swift and the other scrub, at least right now, don't know later

TMC wrote:Keep in mind that it's not a fair deal what they're looking for, but the most attractive one. And Chicago has the more attractive package so far (if it's true they're willing to trade Thomas and Deng. I've got my doubts, given how well Deng is playing lately).

I reckon Deng would be expendable because with getting Gasol, three point shooter would be needed and that is something Nocioni does more than Deng. I'm not sure the Bulls would give up Tyrus Thomas so quickly and if they don't want to, it would be hard for them to get Gasol

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:47 am
1. Pay Gasol wants to contend for a championship and the Warriors are about another 10 years from doing that, so I doubt that he'd want to come here.

2. Mikael Pietrus is a restricted free agent this year and Memphis will most likely not match any crazy offers he gets especially when they still have Dahntay Jones.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 53
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:49 pm
TMC wrote:

Exactly.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD

All Star
Poster Credit: 5
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:58 pm
lets not overpay now... i think j-rich alone would be pretty fair considering the #'s straight up... not this year of course but the past few.. maybe injury concerns throw in a pob or a diogu and i think that deal could be done.

davis
ellis
pietrus
gasol
biedrins

yes sirrr!!
"Losing is inevitably close to winning," Guber said. "They're inches apart. Drama. If you have drama, you've got a ticket to sell." "They're not real fans," Lacob said. "They don't have season tickets."
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:12 am
ChronicallyInclined wrote:lets not overpay now... i think j-rich alone would be pretty fair considering the #'s straight up... not this year of course but the past few.. maybe injury concerns throw in a pob or a diogu and i think that deal could be done.

davis
ellis
pietrus
gasol
biedrins

yes sirrr!!

I don't think The Grizz will give up Gasol so early, unless a real good deal comes up. They will kiss gasol's arse for a year or two

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:29 am
migya wrote:I don't think The Grizz will give up Gasol so early, unless a real good deal comes up. They will kiss gasol's arse for a year or two

Depends on the new owners (if they end up buying the team). Nothing will happen til that point is clear.

Rookie
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:23 am
I would love to see something like this take place, but lets be for real,Memphis isnt crazy. Why would they give up a proven scorer for anybody on our team. All we have to offer is BD, Monte is too raw right now and he turns the ball over too much. Murphs doesnt have any confidence in his game right now, and the new system hasnt helped as well. Dun is too inconsistent from the outside ,and they already have a sharp shooter in the Miller kid. J.R may not every be the same. He relied on his jumping abillity to score around the rim. His jumper so far has disappear because of obvious reason. Pietrus game is similar to the kid they drafted out of UCONN Rudy Gay, so why would they do that? The trade basically wouldnt make any sense.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:30 am
five footer wrote:why would they do that? The trade basically wouldnt make any sense.

Gasol ain't exactly happy there. That said, we wouldn't be the main contender for him. Boston or Chicago come to mind, with even more enticing deals than anything we could give them.

Return to Trades