Diogu again

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:13 am
Found this on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nrw4KBYvZI

Diogu is not a perfect player but he finishes so much harder and better than Murphy. His post moves are sweet, as is his jumper usually.

I'm just pissed that the guy does so well and Nelson, the great coach and judge of talent he is, refuses to go with him for the majority of the game. Nelson's style is run and gun BUT it also is to win and he has shown in his coaching career that he will pull out all the stops to succeed so it is strange that he has not at least given Diogu extended minutes these last games when the team has been losing because Diogu has been playing great

migya make the ring fall on ya
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: -4
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:41 am
Old school, baby... :headbang:

You know, the most incredible thing about the mix is that... even with no play time, Ike makes enough plays to have a mix.

I seriously think this guy is the key to our future and cannot understand why Nellie's holding him down. So don't need to preach to me. I'm on Ike's bandwagon, and have been since the beginning.

I'd like to know his stats per 48 min... maybe will take a look later.
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:14 pm
I'm down with Ike, too... but I'm not gonna rag on Nelson for keeping out a guy that (a) blames other people for his mistakes... and (b) wouldn't know the playbook if he caught it ****ing his mother.

If Ike can rectify those two problems, he should get minutes. But the few times Ike's been in this season, he's seemed confused, out of place, and angry at his teammates. I like the guy (like I said, he's my favorite Warriors)... but he needs to battle those demons before he can be someone we rely heavily on.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm
#32 wrote:I'm down with Ike, too... but I'm not gonna rag on Nelson for keeping out a guy that (a) blames other people for his mistakes... and (b) wouldn't know the playbook if he caught it ****ing his mother.

a) Apparently he was "ragging" on a poof player that is a disgrace and known for blaming others (dun), a player that is in need of a rag!

#32 wrote:But the few times Ike's been in this season, he's seemed confused, out of place

Every player on the team should be confused then because it would be good for a point a minute, great production and inevitably lead to more wins for the team!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:09 am
#32 wrote:I'm down with Ike, too... but I'm not gonna rag on Nelson for keeping out a guy that (a) blames other people for his mistakes... and (b) wouldn't know the playbook if he caught it ****ing his mother.

If Ike can rectify those two problems, he should get minutes. But the few times Ike's been in this season, he's seemed confused, out of place, and angry at his teammates. I like the guy (like I said, he's my favorite Warriors)... but he needs to battle those demons before he can be someone we rely heavily on.

He should get the minutes no matter what. It's not like he would steal minutes from Tim Duncan. We NEED his production. As long as he scores and rebounds, he should play. The rest of his game will improve with experience. And his behavior. Knowing that you don't get minutes no matter what you produce in the court should be frustrating as hell.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:45 pm
migya wrote:a) Apparently he was "ragging" on a poof player that is a disgrace and known for blaming others (dun), a player that is in need of a rag!

Nope. It takes more than one incident for Nelson to label a guy "a complainer". Dunleavy was the victim in an obvious incident on TV, but (from the sounds of it) Diogu is running his mouth in practice, as well as the games. If Nelson says the guy's a complainer, he's a complainer. Nelson doesn't sugar-coat it. It's probably true.

migya wrote:Every player on the team should be confused then because it would be good for a point a minute, great production and inevitably lead to more wins for the team!

Yeah. His points and rebounds per minute look great. How about his fouls and turnovers per minute, too?

He'd foul out in 36 minutes and commit 4 turnovers while he's at it. Shaquille O'Neal (whose practically had the ball in his hands every possession of his career) only commits 2.9 turnovers in 37 minutes (on his career). Right now, Ike's commiting 1.3 turnovers in 13 minutes. No matter how you slice it, he's not polished enough to get major minutes yet. It's just that simple.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:48 pm
TMC wrote:He should get the minutes no matter what. It's not like he would steal minutes from Tim Duncan. We NEED his production. As long as he scores and rebounds, he should play. The rest of his game will improve with experience. And his behavior. Knowing that you don't get minutes no matter what you produce in the court should be frustrating as hell.

But is he hurting the team more than he's helping, so far this year?

When Diogu's in, we have a great option for post offense, a solid (not great) rebounder, and a guy who will block a shot if he see's it coming.

We also have a guy whose disturbing the rest of the lineup because he doesn't know where he should be (on either side of the court), whose throwing away 1.3 turnovers in barely 13 minutes a night, and hacking people as if everyone shoots 30% from the line.

You take the good with the bad. Honestly, I'd like Ike to cut down on those fouls and study the playbook a little harder before giving him a larger role, wouldn't you?

Learning the playbook is not something you need game minutes to do.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:23 am
#32 wrote:You take the good with the bad. Honestly, I'd like Ike to cut down on those fouls and study the playbook a little harder before giving him a larger role, wouldn't you?

Learning the playbook is not something you need game minutes to do.

You do make a very good point and Diogu does need to learn what is going on more but with all the injury problems and the lack of rebounding and post scoring, Diogu should be getting far more minutes since he has shown great production for the time he does get

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:19 pm
Well, right now, Ike is a situational player. Most of our big men are back in uniform (Zarko was never there... and O'Bryant's hit the D-League, but, other than that, everyone else is there).

Nelson understands Ike has talent (which is why he plays him in a situational role), but I think he's going to hold Ike back until Ike becomes familiar with the playbook.

We knew this going in: it was gonna be Nelson's way or the highway. Apparently, Ike has become a complainer (which is something Nelson's not fond of). The kid either needs to change or he'll keep getting bench splinters.

It's not that tough to learn the plays. And it's even easier to stop ragging on your teammates.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:25 pm
#32 wrote:It's not that tough to learn the plays. And it's even easier to stop ragging on your teammates.

I just don't believe that's the case. Sounds more like excuses to me. Nellie doesn't want to play him, so he looks for reasons, true or not. In any case, there's a double standard. Dunleavy is the scolds his teammates, sometimes even to the media... and nothing happens with him.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:49 pm
Dunleavy complains about fouls to the ref's. Thats why he's a whiner. He's only ragged on Baron once, to the camera.

Role Player
Poster Credit: 0
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:11 pm
Ikes averaging 26 pts per 48 minutes good enough for 37th in the L

Murphy is at 17.4 per 48 good enough for 198th in the L

Anyone around here know any hitmen?
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:38 pm
Per 48 is an unfair stat, when comparing players. There's no doubt Ike can score more than Murphy in starting time, but it won't be by 10 points a night. Plus, Murphy stretches the D, which helps other players get open. Ike doesn't.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:47 am
#32 wrote:Well, right now, Ike is a situational player. Most of our big men are back in uniform (Zarko was never there... and O'Bryant's hit the D-League, but, other than that, everyone else is there).

All the big guys are there and the team is playing a terrible inside game and that happens to be what Diogu does best! No logical reason for Nelson not to play Diogu alot and now the team has been losing to some pretty bad teams lately!

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:55 am
Nelson's been quoted saying he doesn't want to abandon the small lineup because that seems to be their best lineup. You can't really argue; Matt Barnes has done a great job knocking down three's as a 4. The only inside guy Nelly really likes to play is Biedrins; because Andris rebounds, defends well, doesn't knock his teammates, and knows where he's supposed to be.
Next

Return to Trades