Off-Season Shake-Up Thread 2013

Discuss any moves or trades here, real, rumored, made up, you name it!

Moderators: Mr. Crackerz, JREED, Guybrush, hobbes

Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 52
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:31 pm
This is the thread dedicated to huge deals and not just minor ones. The theme of this thread should be: if you want to get something, you gotta give something up. Deals here are not meant to be fantasy basketball trades or homerisms where the Warriors somehow acquire a marquee player for draft picks and trash. If you have a potential deal that will alter the identity of the team - and, thus, involve players out of the starting 5 - then post it here for debate. As always, a quick run through ESPN's NBA Trade Machine is a must, so confirm deals through here before posting:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

My idea (3/27/2013):

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bpm8v4z

Warriors - Trailblazers - Nets, 3-Team Trade

Warriors acquire: (F) LaMarcus Aldridge
Blazers acquire: (C) Brook Lopez
Nets acquire: (F) David Lee, (C) Festus Ezeli

WHY THEY DO IT:

GS: The Warriors have lacked an isolation player since the departure of Monta Ellis. To boot, they want to find a player capable of leading the team in scoring to open up additional space for Stephen Curry. Ideally, you don't want your point guard to be your #1 scoring threat. The Warriors eye LaMarcus Aldridge, an all-star PF who doesn't quite rebound in the same league as David Lee but is a much better scorer. Aldridge has a back-to-the-basket game, making Carl Landry's potential opt-out a non-issue and giving the Warriors the freedom to pursue a spread 4 for their bench. With Andris Biedrins having a resurgent year and Andrew Bogut looking healthy, Festus Ezeli can be used as a bargaining chip to upgrade the 4-spot. Aldridge may not be a definitively better overall player than Lee, but he expires one-year earlier and he fits into the Warriors' offensive mechanism better than Lee, who seems to have fallen out of favor now that Bogut has inherited the majority of the high-post options. The Warriors lose nothing in the pick-and-roll game and acquire a scoring 4 with more range than Lee who commands double-teams on the low-block.

POR: Damian Lillard owns the Blazers now. The main order of business is finding pieces to surround HIM with, not anybody else. Lopez is a similar player to Aldridge, but he's 7-feet and Portland can play him with Hickson and not lose any size - assuming they throw money at a JJH resign. Swaping Lopez for Aldridge means that Lillard can pick on centers more often in a pick-and-roll, which makes him more dangerous. Essentially, this deal allows Portland to keep Myers Leonard in a backup role until his contract expires - and, if this season is any indication of his ceiling, the Blazers are in no hurry to make him their starting center.

BRO: The Nets have grown tired of Lopez' constant injury woes and would welcome an all-star like Lee who could come along, fit right in with Williams and Johnson on pick-and-rolls, and play 80 games a year. The Nets would almost certainly start Lee at center alongside Humphries or Reggie Evans. This is quite possible the scariest rebounding team in the league at this point. Having Lee play center with another mobile 4 means that Brooklyn becomes a running team, like the Heat, which would increase the value and production of their starting back court. Deron Williams becomes an MVP candidate in a fast paced setting. Lee's passing prowess could also be useful amidst Brooklyn's many shooters. Having Festus Ezeli as a cherry in the deal would put this over the top for them, as they can also go to the bench for additional size and shot-blocking.
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS DIE HARD
Hall of Famer
Poster Credit: 27
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 pm
Good idea for a thread 32.

Personally, I want to keep the team as it is and the only trade I'd make is to acquire a superstar that doesn't destroy team chemistry, which is good right now.

I don't think Aldridge is at all better than Lee, in any facet really, though he seems to score just a little bit better, though his team is worse than ours. Lee's versatile scoring, rebounding and passing makes others around him able to improve and be netter.

I would trade Lee for Love (something like Lee and Rush for Love), but even then, who knows how Love's injuries of the last year will impact him in the future. Team chemistry would also be an issue, as it is so good right now, but Love is a superstar that does what Lee does, only better.

I want to see how good Barnes will get over the next two years at least and think he will be something like a 20pt, 6reb SF, which is good for top 10 in the nba.

Bogut is the iffy one to me. His health has to be proven and the team has to win with him, which they haven't done a heap of when he has played this season. I really like what he brings, but the team has not only not improved with him playing, but looks to have functioned a little worse, though since the new year the team has fallen quite a bit, something like 50% win/loss actually.

I do want the expiring contracts of AB and RJ to be used wisely, like getting 1st round picks and/or getting a good role player that can replace either or both, but if the FO just keeps them for one more year and then lets them go, I'd be alright with that as the money in salarycap space would be rather huge.

migya make the ring fall on ya

All Star
Poster Credit: 22
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:08 am
I am with migya. Only a superstar type player or nothing.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:25 am
Tough decision. I love Lee but Aldridge is a fantastic player. I'd probably pull the trigger if we didn't have to give away Ezeli as well.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:23 am
If we're going to trade Lee, the allstar who arguably had his best season, I think it is prime time to try to get the disgruntled Love from Minnesota. He has said he wanted out in no such words and was injured practically all season. His value is at it's lowest, but we know how great he is, atleast at one end, like Lee. Love is younger than Lee and next to Bogut, would be even better than he already is. That'd be the first true superstar the team has had since Rick Barry I believe, unless you count Mullin as one, which he basically was for a few seasons there in the early 1990s.

Lee has done great, as has the team with him this season and I'd only trade him for an obvious upgrade and Love is that, scoring and rebounding even better than Lee does and Lee, to me, was the best PF in the nba this season. Stats show he was close to the best in scoring, rebounding, shooting and assists, a great package, like Love, just a little less than what he gives.

I think Lee, Landry and Green or Rush for Love and DWilliams could be done, haven't checked salaries though.

Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 am
Yeah, we had this going in another thread. Still dunno how many of you guys are willing to go all-in for a star like Love.

Kevin Love Idea (5/7/2013):

Warriors - Timberwolves - Wizards, 3-Team Trade

Warriors acquire: (F) Kevin Love, (G) Brandon Roy, (C) Nene Hilario
Timberwolves acquire: (F) David Lee, (G) Klay Thompson, WAS 2014 1st Round Pick
Wizards acquire: (G) Richard Jefferson, (C) Festus Ezeli

WHY THEY DO IT:

GS: For the big chip. Jeff Van Gundy has a famous quote in which he concludes that the team coming away with the best single piece wins any given trade. In this case, the best player being shuffled is Kevin Love. The Warriors sacrifice Klay Thompson and take on Nene's anchor contract for a shot at Love; who is the league's premiere power forward, the best overall rebounder in the game, and has Lee's offensive arsenal plus 3-point range. The thought of pairing Kevin Love with Steph Curry, while retaining Andrew Bogut and Harrison Barnes, is attractive enough for Golden State to send anything else they have to Minnesota. They'll also get a year of Brandon Roy coming off the bench to spell Brandon Rush, who slides into Thompson's vacant starting spot. For the Warriors, the methodology is simple: acquire another guy who - along with Steph Curry - will give you two of the league's 15 best players. Love and Curry alone would headline most team's rosters. Together, they'd be incredible.

MIN: The Wolves do this deal reluctantly because they have no choice. We're assuming that this is a scenario where Love forces his way out of a small market to compete for a playoff team that's one step away from being a title contender. The Wolves, at that point, need to look for the most attractive package. They get David Lee; an all-star who they can sell to their fans as "not THAT much of a drop from Love", Thompson (whom the franchise will tout as a budding star), and Washington's first rounder - the real cherry in the deal. Put it all together and you've got a package of young talent with an established numbers stud that your franchise can present to the fanbase without calling for anyone's head. Again, we're assuming here that Love demands out of Minny because, if he doesn't, there's no way the Wolves trade him at all.

WAS: The Wizards are in because we're giving them an out from the Nene contract and a starting center in the making for a draft pick that isn't even a sure-bet for top 5. Richard Jefferson is a good locker room guy, although he likely won't play much, and Ezeli is a mobile enough 5 to run with John Wall and his battery mates. Odds are, in Washington, there will be another lottery pick on the way next year, so amnestying Nene onto the Warriors seems like a coup if it means acquiring a sure-thing big man. Ezeli can defend and rebound and finish. Between the Wall-Beal backcourt, you don't necessarily want a center who needs any looks anyway. It's a match made in heaven for a penetrating point guard.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:58 pm
Warriors-Knicks Trade

Warriors acquire: (F) Amar'e Stoudamire, (C) Tyson Chandler, (F) Iman Shumpert
Knicks acquire: (C) Andrew Bogut, (F) David Lee, (C) Andris Biedrins

WHY THEY DO IT:

GS: This franchise has long coveted both the Knicks' center, Tyson Chandler, and the former Suns' big man, Amar'e Stoudamire. The Warriors proved this season that they are for real and they did it, largely, with Andrew Bogut on the DL. The thing the Dubs know for sure is this: their window is open. But how long will it stay open? The Lakers, traditionally, haven't stayed down for long and the Clippers have suddenly added another powerhouse team to the enormous West Coast market in So*Cal. Unwilling to chance another season on the aging ankle of Bogut, Golden State pulls the trigger on this package to sure up the inside. Chandler and Bogut are comparable, the latter being slightly superior, but TC gives you more games. Not MANY more, mind you, as he hasn't played 80 games since '04, but Bogut has become a statue of glued together glass and every set-back he endures seems to last 4 times as long as initially reported. Chandler can handle the Aussie's defensive duties and he'll more than make up for him offensively: Chandler quietly carried a 1303 ORtg this year. Amar'e will more than replace Lee on the offensive end, giving the Warriors a bonafide #1 option inside the 3-point arc, which means they'll take losing Lee's production on the glass if it means giving Curry a superior pick-and-roll mate. Surrendering their huge expirer means the Knicks will need to include Shumpert as a cherry, which is a bonus since the Warriors seemingly lacked a backup 2 after Rush went down and Thompson was promoted in the wake of the Ellis trade. Chandler is the best garbage man in the business; he's a guy that will eat up offensive glass and lobs in an offense featuring the league's most dangerous backcourt. Following Curry's attempts from the outside, TC could conceivably average 15 points in Golden State. Shumpert gives the Dubs versatility, as he can play any of the 3 small positions, and softens the blow of inevitably losing Rush to free agency next offseason. Potential depth chart:

C: Tyson Chandler / Festus Ezeli
PF: Amar'e Stoudamire / Draymond Green
SF: Harrison Barnes / Iman Shumpert / Richard Jefferson
SG: Klay Thompson / Brandon Rush / Kent Bazemore
PG: Stephen Curry / Jarrett Jack

NY: Simply put, the Knicks are tired of losing. They assembled their star-studded roster in hopes of giving Carmelo Anthony the best chance of getting them a ring, but many of the pieces haven't jived thus far. Namely, the $20 million dollar man (Amar'e Stoudamire), who needs a lot of looks to maintain his value. Side-by-side with Anthony didn't work and STAT was relegated to the bench, where his efficiency spiked, but the Knicks obviously aren't happy about their highest paid asset riding the pine. Lee and Bogut are better complimentary players to Anthony because they can find their own offense without needing a side cleared for them. Bogut will marginally improve them defensively and Lee's willingness to work within the offense, rather than demand the ball, is something the Knicks could use. With this trade, New York fixes the redundancy of having two ball-heavy scorers in the same locker room. Lee's willingness to share the rock takes Anthony out of the stretch 4 and puts him back on 3's, where he can use his underrated post game. Stoudamire will work much better on the Warriors, feasting on the in-between looks he'll get as teams overload the backcourt. To boot, the Dubs include their prized expirer, forcing the Knicks to include Shumpert as a bonus, but with JR Smith, Carmelo Anthony, and Steve Novak sharing minutes at the 3, the Knicks aren't likely to miss him. Potential depth chart:

C: Andrew Bogut / Marcus Camby
PF: David Lee / Kenyon Martin
SF: Carmelo Anthony / Chris Copeland / Steve Novak
SG: JR Smith / Quentin Richardson
PG: Raymond Felton / Pablo Prigioni
Last edited by 32 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:23 am
How about a David Lee for Chris Bosh trade??

Call me crazy but I think Bosh is a upgrade.. plus Miami could really use a likeable guy on that team!!!

The payroll probably doesn't work but I'd like to see Bosh offensive production and marginally better defense (compared to LEE) next to Andrew Bogut.

Poster Credit: 21
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:17 am
I agree Pawno. Heat would love the Cap relief, plus Bosh exits the books in a couple years.... WONT happen though, as Heat just won the championship again. If they would have lost, then I could definately see the Heat fielding offers.
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:26 pm
Bosh makes $5 million more a year than DLee. You can't deal them straight up. You really wanna throw in a couple extra pieces with Lee to get Bosh? I don't even know if I'd call him "BETTER" than Lee, let alone $5 million a year better...

Warriors-Heat Trade

Warriors acquire: (F) Chris Bosh
Knicks acquire: (PF) David Lee (SG) Brandon Rush (SG) Kent Bazemore

WHY THEY DO IT:

GS: Believing their window is open, the Warriors commit to a potential upgrade at the post position at the expense of bench depth and payroll flexibility. Golden State is hoping not for the Bosh of recent day, but the Bosh of yesterday; the franchise scorer from Toronto who could put up 24 points a night in the driver's seat. The presence of Bogut inside allows the Warriors to sacrifice Lee's rebounding (which is a drastic difference; Lee is a career 9.8 RPG player in his 8th year, Bosh is an 8.9 RPG player in his 9th year; in fact, Bosh hasn't average over 8.3 rebounds in a season since leaving Toronto - he put up 6.8 boards a night last year, compared to Lee's 11.2). Bosh is marginally better than Lee, defensively, although he's no stopper in his own right. The purpose of this deal would be to upgrade the defensive side of the ball while losing nothing offensively. Bosh in 2009 was unquestionably better than Lee. I'm not sure this is the case in 2013.

C: Andrew Bogut / Festus Ezeli
PF: Chris Bosh / Draymond Green
SF: Harrison Barnes / Richard Jefferson
SG: Klay Thompson /

MIA: Acquiring Lee make a lot of sense for the Heat. He doesn't need shots to get points; he rebounds at a top-notch rate, he can play the small-ball 5, and Miami has enough premiere defenders to disguise Lee's deficiencies. Plus, he's a terrific locker room presence, he's immensely cheaper than Bosh (with roughly the same production), he doesn't take games off, he always goes balls out, he plays through injuries, and he'd have no problem accepting the 3rd fiddle role behind James and Wade (something Bosh won't do; he views them as a trio). If I'm Miami, I pull the trigger on this trade no questions asked.

C: Chris Anderson / Joel Anthony
PF: David Lee / Udonis Haslem
SF: LeBron James / Shane Battier / Mike Miller
SG: Dwayne Wade / Ray Allen / Brandon Rush
PG: Mario Chalmers / Norris Cole
Franchise Player
Poster Credit: 31
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:21 am
32 wrote:Bosh makes $5 million more a year than DLee. You can't deal them straight up. You really wanna throw in a couple extra pieces with Lee to get Bosh? I don't even know if I'd call him "BETTER" than Lee, let alone $5 million a year better...

Warriors-Heat Trade

Warriors acquire: (F) Chris Bosh
Knicks acquire: (PF) David Lee (SG) Brandon Rush (SG) Kent Bazemore

WHY THEY DO IT:

GS: Believing their window is open, the Warriors commit to a potential upgrade at the post position at the expense of bench depth and payroll flexibility. Golden State is hoping not for the Bosh of recent day, but the Bosh of yesterday; the franchise scorer from Toronto who could put up 24 points a night in the driver's seat. The presence of Bogut inside allows the Warriors to sacrifice Lee's rebounding (which is a drastic difference; Lee is a career 9.8 RPG player in his 8th year, Bosh is an 8.9 RPG player in his 9th year; in fact, Bosh hasn't average over 8.3 rebounds in a season since leaving Toronto - he put up 6.8 boards a night last year, compared to Lee's 11.2). Bosh is marginally better than Lee, defensively, although he's no stopper in his own right. The purpose of this deal would be to upgrade the defensive side of the ball while losing nothing offensively. Bosh in 2009 was unquestionably better than Lee. I'm not sure this is the case in 2013.

C: Andrew Bogut / Festus Ezeli
PF: Chris Bosh / Draymond Green
SF: Harrison Barnes / Richard Jefferson
SG: Klay Thompson /

MIA: Acquiring Lee make a lot of sense for the Heat. He doesn't need shots to get points; he rebounds at a top-notch rate, he can play the small-ball 5, and Miami has enough premiere defenders to disguise Lee's deficiencies. Plus, he's a terrific locker room presence, he's immensely cheaper than Bosh (with roughly the same production), he doesn't take games off, he always goes balls out, he plays through injuries, and he'd have no problem accepting the 3rd fiddle role behind James and Wade (something Bosh won't do; he views them as a trio). If I'm Miami, I pull the trigger on this trade no questions asked.

C: Chris Anderson / Joel Anthony
PF: David Lee / Udonis Haslem
SF: LeBron James / Shane Battier / Mike Miller
SG: Dwayne Wade / Ray Allen / Brandon Rush
PG: Mario Chalmers / Norris Cole

Awesome review bro.

I totally agree that this trade is a big upgrade for Miami,

But something tells me that with Bosh next to Bogut we get better defensively and we don't miss out that much on offensive production! David Lee does defensive rebound at a high rate but Bogut would pick up the slack on any of the rebounding duties that would of been left from a departing David Lee.
Role Player
Poster Credit: 13
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm
Do we now try for Kevin Love using Lee and Barnes?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lfxw6oe
Hall of Famer
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:40 pm
Ringo wrote:Do we now try for Kevin Love using Lee and Barnes?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lfxw6oe

Said it another thread, no need to give more than Lee and Green.

Return to Trades